After the Drought, the Flood

Ram

The Drought; Sep 2006 - Sep 2008 In this period, Rahul Dravid played 21 test matches, scored 1197 runs at an average of 33.25, with just 2 100s. Those sort of numbers dont look that shabby, but when you consider he averaged an outstanding 55 in the last decade, it puts the dramatic fall from dizzy heights into better perspective. People were beginning to question if he could he ever re-discover those old days of flawless perfection, if we could ever see 'The Wall' that we had come to know and love, back in its full strength. There was the odd good performance here and there - The 100 against B'desh, the century against South Africa in the drawn test at home. But things looked more bad than good. The Flood; Oct 2008 - Current Things started changing for the better during the England series at home in late 2008. There was the 100 in tricky conditions against England in the 2nd test. Sure, he didnt look fluent, but at least, he made some big runs. He wasnt flashy in the New Zealand series, but made some steady runs. The home series against Australia, was again a bit of disappointment, but Dravid was back to his full flow against Lanka, scoring 2 100s. And now, another 100 against B'desh in the 2nd test. In this period, he scored 1149 runs at an average of 52.2 with 4 100s. But its not just the runs he has scored, its way he's looked at the crease while he has been at it. Much of the old solidity back. The 'Wall' is back to being at its re-inforced best! The way some of our senior players have revived their flagging careers after periods of significant slump is truly stuff worthy of legends. It was Ganguly who started the trend in 2007, when he capped off a remarkable comeback year by becoming the year's highest run-getter in tests after playing no international match in 2006. Sachin has hit 100s in all his last 5 test match series and now, its Dravid turn to make a strong statement. Together, these three have been at the forefront of our ascent to the top of the world test rankings. Hats off to their fortitude! :hatsoff: 113425.jpg Here's wishing the impermeable force of Indian cricket a full recovery from the jaw injury! :two_thumbs_up:

The Wall looks as solid as ever.His strokes that were missing from the South African tour in 06, were seen in his brilliant century against Eng at Mohali in 08.That innings just made RD back to his tremendous best.Since then, he hasnt put a foot wrong, and we would love to see him for the S.African series :hail:

The thing that strikes me the most over the resurgence in the careers of Ganguly and Dravid (I am judiciously leaving out Sachin from the discussion because lets face it, he is simply a class apart) is that how both of them managed to revive their test careers, at such an advanced age (Ganguly was 36 in 2007, Dravid is 37 now). These are typically the ages when most modern day batsmen hang up their boots and not an period when you expect people's career to to go an incline. Brian Lara's numbers fell away alarmingly towards the later end of the career. Steve Waugh was essentially forced out at a similar age due to flagging numbers. Mathew Hayden's performance too, went South. Yet, somehow, both Ganguly and Dravid have successfully managed to revive their careers, especially after going through some prolonged periods of relative form slumps. Even within the two, Dravid's story is not hard to believe, because we all knew of his rock-solid technique and even during the times he wasnt as prolific, he still looked reasonable at the crease. But Ganguly's case is far more inexplicable. He was dropped mainly because it seemed as though his batting had reached a phase where it was technically ill-equipped to face the challenges of world class bowling. He went back to FC cricket and didnt score too many runs there either. But, right from his comeback in 2007, to his retirement in mid 2008, he seemed a transformed batsmen, playing all sorts of bowling in all sorts of conditions with relative ease. That he shone during the times when the rest of the batting failed is testament to this. One thing's for sure - You can NEVER count out a true champion. They have this uncanny knack of doing what is least expected of them.

MM: Gangluddin had a character that very few other cricketers (Indian or otherwise) had - he could turn a lot of situations into an 'us versus them'/'me versus you' situation, whether it was a selectorial issue, tussles over captaincy or something like his whole winding up of SRW in 2001 (or the whole chin music talk in 2003 with Australia). The man was a fighter in a different manner than Dravid/Tendulkar - he would quite often really seek a fight and get up the noses of others to add more to the stakes beyond just a match or runs. When you have that sort of character and such guts - not unlike Steve Waugh or Allan Border - then sometimes technique and strokeplay start to mean **** all, as these are guys whose sheer love for a battle can push them beyond normal limitations. PS: Re Waugh, it was a different thing. He struggled a bit for runs at times, but his form never got that bad - unlike Lara or Hayden, and interestingly his test averages in his last few years were still very good with the exception of a bad patch in 2002. [avg 59 in '00, avg 52.5 in '01, 30.4 in '02, 79.63 in '03 and 60 in '04 in that one test] Basically in the last 10 matches he played - at age 39 - he scored 3 hundreds and 4 fifties. Still could make runs - just that by that time Australia wanted a transition with his form not *as* consistent as it was in his past, and other seriously talented players like Lehmann, Katich, Symonds and Hussey banging on the door.

Re Waugh, it was a different thing. He struggled a bit for runs at times, but his form never got that bad - unlike Lara or Hayden, and interestingly his test averages in his last few years were still very good with the exception of a bad patch in 2002. [avg 59 in '00, avg 52.5 in '01, 30.4 in '02, 79.63 in '03 and 60 in '04 in that one test] Basically in the last 10 matches he played - at age 39 - he scored 3 hundreds and 4 fifties. Still could make runs - just that by that time Australia wanted a transition with his form not *as* consistent as it was in his past, and other seriously talented players like Lehmann, Katich, Symonds and Hussey banging on the door.
I know Waugh didnt necessarily go through a form slump, but was politely asked to step aside by the Aussie selectors. But Ganguly's case still baffles me. I doubt if even the most ardent of Dada's supporters could have predicted he would come back in the way he did.

I was never in Doubt dat RD cud get back to his best. The only prb he had during the period he scored less amount of runs / Few may claim he failed, that he was being too cautios and defensive. He lessened up his strokeplay to the maximum. But yes Gangulys case was differant. B4 the 2000's Ganguly made a lot of runs, Then he used to play much widin the V. Which wasnt seen much frm 2000 to 2005. Then after his cumbak in 2006 november, he started playing widin the V again. Which he was doing right frm his Test Debut[u can see wat am talking abt if u chck his Debut hundred and compare it wid the innings he played after 2000] to 99-00.

B4 the 2000's Ganguly made a lot of runs' date=' Then he used to play much widin the V. Which wasnt seen much frm 2000 to 2005. Then after his cumbak in 2006 november, he started playing widin the V again. Which he was doing right frm his Test Debut[u can see wat am talking abt if u chck his Debut hundred and compare it wid the innings he played after 2000'] .
Wow. I'm off to get some hard liquor to kill the brain cells that just became a little stupider by having to absorb that pile of incoherent nonsense.
Wow. I'm off to get some hard liquor to kill the brain cells that just became a little stupider by having to absorb that pile of incoherent nonsense.
Thnx for the adjectives. BTW wud luv to see u walk the talk rather just talk it. I Have made a statement, based on my opinion. This is a forum for Cricket fans, and we are entitled to our opinions. So stop shouting and prove me/comments wrong.:hatsoff: P.S : I have edited the last line of my previous post if the obnoxious little weed can see.

oh snap, i got his "opinion" defense correct :D :hail:

(I am judiciously leaving out Sachin from the discussion because lets face it, he is simply a class apart)
in tests he is not. they are both in the same class I hope dravid plays against RSA, we will need him... i can already see him batting with his jaw all taped up :D
oh snap, i got his "opinion" defense correct :D :hail: in tests he is not. they are both in the same class I hope dravid plays against RSA, we will need him... i can already see him batting with his jaw all taped up :D
Hope he plays. We need him badly, if we are to beat the saffers.