Discussing first test at Nagpur between India and SA, 2010

Feed

Agreed. But its not a very comforting factor to go into the test with a batsmen short. Bowling was toothless regardless.
Selectors clearly screwed up not having an extra bat. I would have gone with 5 bowlers given that the 7th bat in this case really is a non-bat.
Our tail sucks against high quality bowling. No Mitchell Johnson for us :(( This is one of the weakest Indian batting line up in a while.
Tail is supposed to suck against good bowling dude :cantstop: Mitch is now no m ore a tailender or a bowler who can bat, he can actually do more than that. Mishra's dismissal clearly suggest how good the saf seamers are compared to Sri Lankans or any other against whom he got stuck and scored fifty after coming in as a night watchman.
Regradless of poor bowling' date=' Our batting wasn't great Yoda. Scoring 200 something a test match isn't good enough. Though it's understandable that we didn't have our main players playing, but still 200 some is not good enough in first innings of test cricket when other side on same wicket managed to scored nearly 600 runs.[/quote'] Batting wasn't great cause their bowling made us look so bad. C'mon when was the last time we saw Gambhir so clueless and that too twice in the same test?

Yoda quite clearly I am saying that batting wasn't good because the bowling was challenging. But somewhere down the line, batsman need to take the blame too that they weren't good enough on day 3 to tackle some good bowling line from the saffers. Off course saf bowled well which increased the percentage of our chances of getting out early compared to the chances of getting out early against other teams, but then It's batsman who has to play the shots to get out, move the bat, and thats where they can take some blame. Well they should as they had their own sweet time too. It's test cricket. I don't want to be a major critic, neither I would be one. If we lose, it will be jointy poor effort of Batsman and bowlers, and not just bowlers. Bowlers sucked. but batsmans were good enought either then to get to 600 something. If we put around 150 lead and then lose, then good fight by batsmans and poor bowling in first innings cost us.

I cant blame batsmen here... YOu have put them in great pressure by allowing Saffies to score 550+???? I mean you are kidding me. Ishant sharm was phail... I mean he has been playing for long enough to understand. He couldn't pick a wicket. Couple of wickets from him and we could have seen Saffies first innings total arround 400. That would have given our batsmen lot of confidence. I could see Sehwag playing under pressure for the first time after 2-3 years. We can't blame batsment for not scoring 500 everytime?? But these bowlers couldn't get Bango batsmen out at one point.

Its quite surprising why Dhoni did not pick Abhimanyu instead of Saha ... it would have been a great oppurtunity to check him out given that Saha has absolutely no long term prospects.
I would never understand how a player who averages 35 sneak past all other heavyweights of domest cricket. I mean we are usually perplexed when answering how that one good ranji player would get a chance in this already strong middle order and when the opportunity arrives to give someone a chance, a totally unknown man is given a chance in front of whom, there are far more deserving candidates from all over the peninsula.

Back sprain forces Boucher to miss remainder of 1st Test Mark Boucher's further participation in the ongoing first Test against India is doubtful due to back sprain but he is due to be fit in time for the second Test in Kolkata. More... Back sprain forces Boucher to miss remainder of 1st Test February 08, 2010 20:38 IST Mark Boucher's further participation in the ongoing first Test against India is doubtful due to back sprain but the team management is confident that the South African stumper will be fit for the second Test in Kolkata. Boucher left the field on Monday towards the latter part of the Indian first innings and Abraham de Villiers did the duty with the gloves. However, scans taken later in a local clinic indicated that it's only a strain and he should be available for the second Test starting in Kolkata on February 14, Cricket South Africa's media officer Michael Owen-Smith said. "CT scan and MRI scan have given him a clean bill of health. It's a lower back sprain and he will continue ongoing treatment from the physio," Owen-Smith said. "I'm not putting a time frame when he will be back on field but we are confident he will be ready for the Kolkata Test afterwards," he added.

Its quite surprising why Dhoni did not pick Abhimanyu instead of Saha ... it would have been a great oppurtunity to check him out given that Saha has absolutely no long term prospects.
Yea that was dumb. If ever there was a reason for 5 bowlers, this would have been one.
Batting wasn't great cause their bowling made us look so bad. C'mon when was the last time we saw Gambhir so clueless and that too twice in the same test?
Every batsman in the world punter to tendulkar are vulnerable early. They managed to prize him out. Real contest will be once he settles down and plays.

I have been really disappointed in Tendulkar's batting in the test match, actually. He has been completely devoid of a game plan and has looked totally out of sorts. He has been just sitting on his crease waiting for things to happen. I can understand Vijay and Badrinath not doing it because they of their inexperience, but this should be formulated as part of the team's strategy. Dhoni was doing it, but what use is it if you cannot even pad up to Harris pitching outside the leg stump :mad: Gambhir would have been just the batsman for the situation and pitch, but Morkel took him out with two lovely deliveries. What's more the manner of his dismissals has set him up for continued uncertainty during the next match - he just wouldn't know which one to leave or play from Morkel anymore.

With tendulkar around and if vijay could play sensible innings you always have a chance. they need bat entire tomorrow or at least until tea.. 250 runs is not big runs. If they stay in the middle, runs will come. And then lower order batsmen with Dhons try to put in some 150 exatra...we can put some preasure on Saffers before the second test. get some 5-6 wkts... GO INDIA... save this one.