Height of current pace bowlers in Australian domestic cricket.

patriot

Height doesnt really matter that much. Its about being fit and athetic from a young age. I bet you all those bowlers have played at least 3 or more other sports since childhood before taking up cricket seriously. The height will come naturally and they just made advantage of it. Their nutrition is also probably x100 better. btw that ben cutting guy in the list is from my cricket club. :thumbs_up:

The raw material is certainly there. But how good are these guys as quicks is an entirely different issue. You dont become a quality fast bowler by merely being tall. Of course, try telling that to our beloved neighbors. The way they hyped up Mohammed Irfan as the next 'big' thing in fast bowling JUST because he was tall is the kind of mullah logic only they can come up with. No disrespect to Irfan (he might go on to become a good bowler), but the dude's officially listed as being 28 years old, which probably means he's 30+ and even the pace-obsessed Pakistanis admit he's just medium pace. I'd love to see the 6'11 giant pipped against some of our batsmen.. It will be a mauling that he wont forget for life.

The raw material is certainly there. But how good are these guys as quicks is an entirely different issue. You dont become a quality fast bowler by merely being tall. Of course, try telling that to our beloved neighbors. The way they hyped up Mohammed Irfan as the next 'big' thing in fast bowling JUST because he was tall is the kind of mullah logic only they can come up with. No disrespect to Irfan (he might go on to become a good bowler), but the dude's officially listed as being 28 years old, which probably means he's 30+ and even the pace-obsessed Pakistanis admit he's just medium pace. I'd love to see the 6'11 giant pipped against some of our batsmen.. It will be a mauling that he wont forget for life.
Pace declines with age. But ..if you have height..you should be able generate good bounce and carry till you retire, which is why I prefer it raw express pace. If you have good pace 140ish to add to that height, you become a potent bowler. Case in point,Morne Morkel. But I guess we don't make them of that size in India. Bar rare exceptions.

Gony, Balaji, Ganpathy, Ranadeb Bose, Salvi, Shalabh Shrivatava, Nehra, Mithun, Vinay Kumar, Pankaj Singh, Nethravalkar, Unadkat, ...10-12 names that come to my mind who too are easily 6 ft plus!! But the kind of dead wickets these guys bowl on kills the little speed they have and makes them concentrate on line and length! Prepare a few cricket centres with decent bounce on the pitch( Mysore, Anantapur, Brabourne, Mohali could host those) and we will see good pacers coming along.