Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010

Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010  

1. 1.

• With an Hour Left Today
    • Tomorrow After Lunch
    • Other

Before the collapse they were going at 4 an over. Any particular reason why Dhoni didn't try Sehwag or Tendulkar or even Badri? Just 4 bowlers? There is a chance they will be running out of gas in the 2nd innings.
They should have enough gas in the tank if we bat the 6 sessions that you are hoping for.:two_thumbs_up:
Maybe. Answer this' date=' though: could you have been a better professional, had you not had posted 23000 times here? What about the countless hours you spent watching cricket? How do you measure up to a guy who follows a couple of soccer matches a week?[/quote'] I understand where you're coming from, maybe I could have, but lets not go into how I've managed so many posts. You're picking me as one example, but not every cricket fans participates in a forum else we would have millions of members. Most people have their priorities set right. Talking about watching cricket, I haven't barely seen a days play in total from our last 3 series
Weren't our bowlers also going to dismiss them for under 400 after day 1 at Nagpur' date=' My two cents? :winky:[/quote'] That was one match in recent times where we didnt make a comeback in bowling. Usually they do what they did today P.S. i make my predictions like Afridi. Close eyes, swing bat, try ridiculous shots. If some hit, it seems amazing
Yesterday, Sachin & Laxman tried to visit Kalighat. Laxman was mobbed till he was blue in the face, while Sachin couldn't get out of his car. Our kind of cricket. Another generation of children will be converted to cricket soon. Goodbye academic excellence, hard work, initiative and self respect. Hullo to cricket idolatry, simulated partisanship (oh yeah, Kolkata Riders v Rajasthan Royals does it everytime for me) and whiling away hours in front of the TV. Grow up, India.
So the Tendulkars, the Dravids do not excel, have not worked hard, have no initiative or self respect? May be the mobs where the one who were already converted and not the ones that may convert?
Maybe. Answer this' date=' though: could you have been a better professional, had you not had posted 23000 times here? What about the countless hours you spent watching cricket? How do you measure up to a guy who follows a couple of soccer matches a week?[/quote'] So guys who watch soccer are better than those who spend time watching cricket? What abut those Plymouth Argyle fans who do a 800+ mile round trip to Newcastle to watch their beloved Plymouth getting thrashed? I follow both football and cricket and I've been on football forums too where there are people who have psoted thousands of posts for years. At the end of the day it's all about whether the individual has got his priorities right or not that will define whether are not they go on to be something in their lives.
Maybe. Answer this' date=' though: could you have been a better professional, had you not had posted 23000 times here? What about the countless hours you spent watching cricket? How do you measure up to a guy who follows a couple of soccer matches a week?[/quote']
Yesterday, Sachin & Laxman tried to visit Kalighat. Laxman was mobbed till he was blue in the face, while Sachin couldn't get out of his car. Our kind of cricket. Another generation of children will be converted to cricket soon. Goodbye academic excellence, hard work, initiative and self respect. Hullo to cricket idolatry, simulated partisanship (oh yeah, Kolkata Riders v Rajasthan Royals does it everytime for me) and whiling away hours in front of the TV. Grow up, India.
:omg:

Sunny, why are you surprised? Hasn't cricket hurt your studies?

I follow both football and cricket and I've been on football forums too where there are people who have psoted thousands of posts for years.
See KPS, my theory is that sport was originally meant to inspire the not so gifted with the prowess of those who could do amazing things, so that the former could then try and achieve excellence in their own areas. The problem arose when the concept of "supporting" particular sides came in. Sports thus became like any other cabals, nationalistic, religious, political.....you tended to seek out your own, and seek solace when things got bad. In essence, you are living your life through your heroes, a phenomenon called transferance. You have fallen victim to an accepted form of culthood. And just because you share that state of being with millions of others, it doesn't hide the fact that it is a lower form of existence than would have eventuated had you looked inwards and driven yourself singlemindedly to achieve the equivalent of what your sporting heroes did, in whatever happened to be your calling. You might say, you still are realising your potental, but you are fooling yourself, really. You can't. Too much emotional energy spent in reliving the vicissitudes of your team to be ruthless in your own pursuit. In short, however good you are, you could have been a heckuva lot better.

I can't speak for others, but as for myself I can assure you that I don't lead life through my 'heroes'. Cricket is another sport I follow just as I do football or Tennis and certainly it hasn't had an impact on my life because all sport that I follow - be it watching or commenting on forums is around my other priorities in life and not before my other priorities.

Terrific innings and solid composure for someone who is making a debut in India (hypothetically but it is considered as one of the toughest venues). But I do think MSD did not attack the debutant enough to capitalize on the obvious nervousness shown by him. Ishant would have got him had we placed short leg for Ishant Sharma. These little things add up to your misery if the opponent start capitalizing on it. Congrats Petersen and now Prince is under intense pressure to deliver because SA will be looking to dispose him and find a replacement unless he gets his act together. Duminy has age on his side and will get few more matches to prove his caliber, so I think he might be safe for now.

Sunny, why are you surprised? Hasn't cricket hurt your studies? See KPS, my theory is that sport was originally meant to inspire the not so gifted with the prowess of those who could do amazing things, so that the former could then try and achieve excellence in their own areas. The problem arose when the concept of "supporting" particular sides came in. Sports thus became like any other cabals, nationalistic, religious, political.....you tended to seek out your own, and seek solace when things got bad. In essence, you are living your life through your heroes, a phenomenon called transferance. You have fallen victim to an accepted form of culthood. And just because you share that state of being with millions of others, it doesn't hide the fact that it is a lower form of existence than would have eventuated had you looked inwards and driven yourself singlemindedly to achieve the equivalent of what your sporting heroes did, in whatever happened to be your calling. You might say, you still are realising your potental, but you are fooling yourself, really. You can't. Too much emotional energy spent in reliving the vicissitudes of your team to be ruthless in your own pursuit. In short, however good you are, you could have been a heckuva lot better.
yes it has,bt then study is not the only thing...... do i want to make a career or do i want to make a life? i belong to a family of sporting fanatics,there is nt a person who doesnt follow sports,and i may add that most of them are quite well.It is a way of life for many people. It is a hobby for so many of us,a love a passion and if we devote some time to it by not disturbing our professional careers whats wrong? why you sir of all people who has devoted time to cricket and as well as ur profession saying so?

What India needs to do on Day 2 They need to get the last SA wicket within the first five overs and conceding no more than 10 runs. Then they need to withstand the barrage of Steyn and Morkel. Have no doubts, they will go at the Indians hard. Once they have withstood the initial barrage, there needs to a few long partnerships so that Indians can set the stage for a big first innings. I need they need about 500 odd in 2 days and then try to get SA out on the 4th day for 250 odd so that they have a small total to chase in the 4th innings. Without this I see a Indian loss or a draw (former more likely). Getting SA out for less than 275 odd and quickly in the 1st innings is the first step. You know the crowd will do their part. If the tailenders hang around too much, it is going to slip away slowly. Which India will show up? Do they have the hunger to stay at No. 1? Time will tell.