Australian players including Hayden, Gilchrist and Warne clash with Pwnting over IPL

cowboysfan

Love his confidence' date=' how he didn't back down from his stance.[/quote'] Yes. Especially, When the hypothetical question of what was the last date by when a decision needed to be made to move the tournament out of India, his response is, we don't need to make the decision. It will be played in India. I disllike his authoritarian rule, but you also got to hand him his confidence and his arrogance stems from the fact that he seems to believe that he can pull of anything he wishes for IPL.
Yes. Especially' date=' When the hypothetical question of what was the last date by when a decision needed to be made to move the tournament out of India, his response is, we don't need to make the decision. It will be played in India.[/quote'] If its not played in India or there is a player boycott, a precedent could be set culminating in the World Cup, .... , honestly, I dread to think about what may happen. These are dress rehearsals for the main event, need to show we can stage the big events.

The threat of pull out by foreign players is interesting but predictable news. But before we go on to analyze what's what reg. this news, lets just be absolutely clear on one thing - In the current geopolitical and security environment facing us, there's almost no country that can guarantee 100% security to visiting sportspersons, inclusive of the United States homeland or the European mainland. Almost all countries are so culturally and religious diverse these days and it will take only one crazed lunatic to spoil the show for the others. With that in mind, the Player's association request for a 100% security guarantee is unrealistic, even impossible to meet and they know that. But of course, being the sole player representative, given that the individual cricket boards have washed their hands off the security issues, its their job to bargain as much as possible with the organizers of the IPL and get as many concessions and security guarantees as possible. I wouldnt be surprised if the recent sequence of events (Dickason's security report says threat is credible, slowly a handful of players have begun voicing their 'concerns') were to an extent slightly scripted. Who knows, Dickason might have been pressurized by the Players' association to even exaggerate threat scenarios. After all, they are the one who is paying him to do all this. Its a bit like those credit rating agencies in the US giving all sorts of A and A+ ratings to absolute junk bonds and credit default swaps. But the thing we have to keep in mind is, the Indian govt. (more specifically the Home Minister Chidambaram) has said that the foreign players are welcome to here and the govt. will do all it can to ensure player safety and there's no reason to doubt their words. After all, this was the same govt. that was brutally honest and said they couldnt ensure safety of players due to the parlimentary elections last year, which forced the IPL to be moved to South Africa. Then, we went to great lengths to shift the tournament out of India because we considered player safety paramount. So now, if the govt says the players are welcome, then they have to take their word for it. This year, its their turn to reciprocate some of the faith and concern we showed for them last year. Else, whats the point of signing multi million contracts, if you're always hell bent on having it all your way? And in this sense, you gotto give it to the Modi guy. His most recent press statement goes something along this 'You cannot guarantee security anywhere. But even if the players dont want to come, its ok by us. The ground isnt going to cave beneath us. This is an Indian tournament'. So he too is playing hardball and isnt willing to give or take an inch. That should probably send a strong message to the players that all sorts of posturing and pretending may not cut too much ice this time. My prediction is that the players will come (only after many more press statements and posturing). There might be some isolated pull outs here and there, but in general, there should be good foreign representation this year and the tournament will go ahead as planned. After all, IPL is a multi-billion dollar, humongous tournament that takes ages to plan and implement. It cannot moved in and out of India based on some isolated security assessments. But should be interesting to observe how far the foreign players are willing to go, insofar as security is concerned? What happens if there's a terror attack a day before the match, or on the day of a match? It might not have directly impacted the players, but what if it happened 3 kms from where they're staying, or just outside the stadium? The depressing truth is, if any of the Pakistani sponsored terror outfits are hell bent executing an attack here, they could probably pull it off. They might not be able to directly target the players, but they can still inflict significant damage on player morale. In that sense, this tournament is an absolutely security nightmare and I wouldnt be surprised at all to see at least a couple of 'incidents' happen through the course of it. And from an Indian point of view, its extremely important that IPL is held in India this year. Even the shifting of last year's tournament out of India was a big blow to us. IPL is an important component of India's growing soft-power and its vital that the brand continues to grow.

Australian players including Hayden, Gilchrist and Warne clash with Pwnting over IPL

CONFLICT over whether to attend next month's IPL tournament saw Australian players at each other's throats during a security briefing at a Sydney hotel yesterday. The Australian understands there is a split among the freelance former Test cricketers who want to attend and Cricket Australia-contracted players who want everybody to work as one on the issue. It is understood the past players, including Shane Warne, Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist clashed with Australia's captain Ricky Ponting during the meeting. Some of the world's best cricketers will almost certainly boycott next month's Indian Premier League unless the organisation improves its security to deal with an al-Qa'ida terrorist threat. The players have been advised that the current arrangements are not satisfactory, following legitimate threats from an organisation called the 313 Brigade. The situation is almost certain to result in a showdown between the players' associations and the IPL, but insiders are suggesting it will be individual players who blink first and solidarity will be lost. Anyone who boycotts will almost certainly be barred from future tournaments and players such as Lee, Warne, Gilchrist, Hayden, Dirk Nannes and Brad Hodge stand to lose millions of dollars. Younger players with Cricket Australia contracts might not feel the same compulsion. Australian Cricketers Association chief executive Paul Marsh was asked if the players would stick together once a decision was made. "That's something we are still working through, it's the way we have operated in the past and I guess we have a couple of weeks to work through that," he said. The Australian players were presented the report, prepared by security consultant Reg Dickason. While its contents remain secret, the player associations are not satisfied with the IPL arrangements and believe the threats from the al-Qaida sub-group are genuine.
Hats off to Gilly, Hayden and Warne. And :finger: to :punter: BTW is Pwnting crying sour grape after being kicked out by KKR. :hehe:

I wonder why Ponting was even in the meeting... isn't he not playing for any team anyway? This is the biggest source of income for retired players like Gilly and Haydos, so obviously, they are more inclined to play than current players who have sufficient other sources of income.

Security can never be guaranteed. The only thing that the organizers can provide is the best security arrangements within their control. Even with the best measures applied, there is still a risk involved. ACA will most likely advise its players not to go. But, it should not force all players to adhere to the guidelines. If retired players are willing to take the risk and go ahead, why stop them?

Just wonder how much things change over the years... two years ago security was not such a big deal. About 10 years ago the security was employed to help players keep the Indian fans at bay. In the 80s and the 90s overseas players used to roam around the town quite leasurely in India. I even know a few Kiwi players that went out on on scooty rides in the town with the locals. What has it come down to now? This is the problem with this world. Too much sympathy shown early on rather than nip the terrorists in the bud. Now even sports has to wait for their sign off. I guess the arms that are available in the open market has screwed it all. Shame the same arms cannot be used against the terrorists. Come to think of it, gun powder is the worst discovery man ever made.:((

I think the clash happened because CA wants all Aussies to follow the line so that no players gets hurt financially next season. If some Aussies players still come for IPL, then it gives IPL to ban the rest next year. But if all players dont go, then IPL have to give in to the Aussie players next time.
Either way I don't think Aus players will escape a ban. Only if all foreign players decide to stay away, then only IPL might consider not banning them next year.
That would be religion
+1 Not only religion but caste, creed, nations, regionalism, economic difference or aany other division in the world .. I sometimes remember a quote I remember since childhood "How great would a world be without any religion, any nations, any divisions and without any violence and without any war" :((
I think the clash happened because CA wants all Aussies to follow the line so that no players gets hurt financially next season. If some Aussies players still come for IPL, then it gives IPL to ban the rest next year. But if all players dont go, then IPL have to give in to the Aussie players next time.
Either way I don't think Aus players will escape a ban. Only if all foreign players decide to stay away' date=' then only IPL might consider not banning them next year.[/quote'] The Aussies also know that they will be banned if they dont play in IPL. Check this from the above article I posted above.
Anyone who boycotts will almost certainly be barred from future tournaments and players such as Lee, Warne, Gilchrist, Hayden, Dirk Nannes and Brad Hodge stand to lose millions of dollars.
I am quite sure that all the Aussies will come .. at least all the major players and the small players will come I found Graeme Smith's concerns more funny because SA is not known to be a very safe place either.. FIFA has been pointing out that SA safety is not good for organizing WC and then they took example of IPL last year to convince FIFA to some extent but now this comment
The Aussies also know that they will be banned if they dont play in IPL. Check this from the above article I posted above. I am quite sure that all the Aussies will come .. at least all the major players and the small players will come I found Graeme Smith's concerns more funny because SA is not known to be a very safe place either.. FIFA has been pointing out that SA safety is not good for organizing WC and then they took example of IPL last year to convince FIFA to some extent but now this comment
You know how all the Goras are, but do you know what fristrate me even more, our Indian people still likes licking the feet of the Gora, disgusting, my Indian professor is so baised against Gora students he wants to get up from his seat and salute him. I hate this chamchagiris of our Nation, really puts out intergrity into shame.
+1 Not only religion but caste, creed, nations, regionalism, economic difference or aany other division in the world .. I sometimes remember a quote I remember since childhood "How great would a world be without any religion, any nations, any divisions and without any violence and without any war" :((
how would competetive sport exist then though?