Rajasthan is an ordinary side: Gambhir

Rajasthan is an ordinary side: Gambhir  

1. 1.

• Yes: He should be respectful towards his opponents
    • No: He speaks his mind, what's wrong with that
    • Don't care: Who am I to judge?

Well' date=' which side has been the best overall according to you? RR has won an edition and have the best W/L ratio. Purely on the basis of results they have been the best.[/quote'] Well, man, lets not even get into the numbers! Do you honestly think that they are the best overall IPL team? If you really think so, well, without much ado, lets walk off agreeing to disagree on this. :)

Well' date=' man, lets not even get into the numbers! Do you honestly think that they are the best overall IPL team? If you really think so, well, without much ado, lets walk off agreeing to disagree on this. :)[/quote'] so the goal post has now moved from "ordinary" to "not the best overall IPL team". :winky:

Well' date=' man, lets not even get into the numbers! Do you honestly think that they are the best overall IPL team? If you really think so, well, without much ado, lets walk off agreeing to disagree on this. :)[/quote'] Hmmm....if not on results how are you going to pick the best team. If having big names in a team was the be all and end all then a team with Gilchrist, Styris, Symonds, Afridi, Rohit, and Gibbs should have been handed the trophy before the tournament.

Hmmm....if not on results how are you going to pick the best team. If having big names in a team was the be all and end all then a team with Gilchrist' date=' Styris, Symonds, Afridi, Rohit, and Gibbs should have been handed the trophy before the tournament.[/quote'] Outsider - my point is that the format as such is very nascent to even think of walking on the stats treadmill. Just not enough data. So, forget about the numbers alone. It is plain inconclusive. Now team wise I would be very curious as to how many people actually agree that the Rajasthan Royals are the overall best team in the IPL. Really curious. My take is - I agree with Gambhir, especially for the squad that played his team that day.

Outsider - my point is that the format as such is very nascent to even think of walking on the stats treadmill. Just not enough data. So, forget about the numbers alone. It is plain inconclusive. Now team wise I would be very curious as to how many people actually agree that the Rajasthan Royals are the overall best team in the IPL. Really curious. My take is - I agree with Gambhir, especially for the squad that played his team that day.
Again how can you defend Gambhir, I am sure your own DD as being more ordinary and have been far more disappointing than RR in IPL. The stats and performances do not lie. Now you are are saying the stats are inconclusive but the main goal of winning IPL is done by RR not DD. And you are ultimately judged on that, so I guess more people will agree RR are better than DD in IPL. So, If anyone has to learn from one another, it is DD not RR. They have won the IPL and that itself deserves respect. Just look at Sachin yesterday, pre and post match, he was giving praises to King XI Punjab, now this is called being sensible. GG should learn from him. And for you you mean it is ok If every player, starts saying that their opponents were ordinary after they beat them. GG has made a fool of himself and more so by saying he stands by his comments. If you want this to be a norm, then you should expect to take honest comments from others about your team when according to you, DD can say anything about others in public. You should not cry when Australia, Pakistan say something similar about India.

There is a difference between critics calling a team's performance on the day "ordinary" and a captain calling the opposing team's players as ordinary. In trying to justify his comments, Gambhir had written how his team took the comments from the critics on the chin and lifted their game and that RR would do well to learn from it. I guess he was trying to prove a point to the critics but it fell flat on his face when he termed the players themselves as ordinary. Seems like he should first learn how not to over-react before offering lessons to others.

Outsider - my point is that the format as such is very nascent to even think of walking on the stats treadmill. Just not enough data. So, forget about the numbers alone. It is plain inconclusive. Now team wise I would be very curious as to how many people actually agree that the Rajasthan Royals are the overall best team in the IPL. Really curious. My take is - I agree with Gambhir, especially for the squad that played his team that day.
I am sorry, but not agreeing that RR has been the best team till date is akin to not accepting WI as the best ODI team in the world after they won the first WC and had the best W/L ratio on the back of the excuse that it's a nascent format.

Again how can you defend Gambhir, I am sure your own DD as being more ordinary and have been far more disappointing than RR in IPL. The stats and performances do not lie. Now you are are saying the stats are inconclusive but the main goal of winning IPL is done by RR not DD. And you are ultimately judged on that, so I guess more people will agree RR are better than DD in IPL. So, If anyone has to learn from one another, it is DD not RR. They have won the IPL and that itself deserves respect. Just look at Sachin yesterday, pre and post match, he was giving praises to King XI Punjab, now this is called being sensible. GG should learn from him. And for you you mean it is ok If every player, starts saying that their opponents were ordinary after they beat them. GG has made a fool of himself and more so by saying he stands by his comments. If you want this to be a norm, then you should expect to take honest comments from others about your team when according to you, DD can say anything about others in public. You should not cry when Australia, Pakistan say something similar about India.
You are assuming two things. That I root for Delhi (which I might have in the past, but right now I am jaded of IPL) and that I cry foul if somebody criticizes the quality of the Indian team or its players. Again, you do not have much to go on considering that I have not really cried foul at criticism directed at the Indian team. You only have my word when I say I love cricket more than many and my faith towards the game is greater than any single country or player affiliation. The point is not whether Gambhir ought to have been diplomatic. The point is that we must stop expecting them to be like visiting dignitaries or diplomats. Why the hypocrisy? Obviously we are not expecting the same when they are out there bad mouthing the opponents and their sisters and mothers - are we? Come out of it, man! :)
There is a difference between critics calling a team's performance on the day "ordinary" and a captain calling the opposing team's players as ordinary. In trying to justify his comments' date= Gambhir had written how his team took the comments from the critics on the chin and lifted their game and that RR would do well to learn from it. I guess he was trying to prove a point to the critics but it fell flat on his face when he termed the players themselves as ordinary. Seems like he should first learn how not to over-react before offering lessons to others.
I am sorry' date=' but not agreeing that RR has been the best team till date is akin to not accepting WI as the best ODI team in the world after they won the first WC and had the best W/L ratio on the back of the excuse that it's a nascent format.[/quote'] Win loss ratio and what not has no meaning when the game/format itself does not have the numbers for it to give some sort of status to any kind of statistical analyses.
Please see above. I think we are getting way too serious about this diplomacy thing when it comes to sportspeople.

You are assuming two things. That I root for Delhi (which I might have in the past, but right now I am jaded of IPL) and that I cry foul if somebody criticizes the quality of the Indian team or its players. Again, you do not have much to go on considering that I have not really cried foul at criticism directed at the Indian team. You only have my word when I say I love cricket more than many and my faith towards the game is greater than any single country or player affiliation. The point is not whether Gambhir ought to have been diplomatic. The point is that we must stop expecting them to be like visiting dignitaries or diplomats. Why the hypocrisy? Obviously we are not expecting the same when they are out there bad mouthing the opponents and their sisters and mothers - are we? Come out of it, man! :) Please see above. I think we are getting way too serious about this diplomacy thing when it comes to sportspeople. Win loss ratio and what not has no meaning when the game/format itself does not have the numbers for it to give some sort of status to any kind of statistical analyses.
Diplomacy thing is one side but if a player decides to make insult a opposition whom he has beaten, it is stupidity and more so by defending himself later. Just look at Steyn, he once thought of IPL as a money tournament and free holiday where you just have to just bowl 4 overs but then later he retreated and came back and said he was stupid. Now Steyn said was correct and honest but he insulted IPL and he later corrected it unlike GG.

Diplomacy thing is one side but if a player decides to make insult a opposition whom he has beaten, it is stupidity and more so by defending himself later. Just look at Steyn, he once thought of IPL as a money tournament and free holiday where you just have to just bowl 4 overs but then later he retreated and came back and said he was stupid. Now Steyn said was correct and honest but he insulted IPL and he later corrected it unlike GG.
Well, someone, we are not going to agree on this. If it was so much of an insult do you really think Warne is going to take it sitting down? And do you think slinging mud on the honour of your opponents' wives and sisters is better than this? Lets be balanced in this. In fact what he does on the field is even more important than what he does in this orchestrated media circus which is the IPL. And by the way, Steyn has not corrected it. He has just decided to become a part of the money tournament and free holiday :).