Is there actually a bias AGAINST the South Zone in IPL?

achilles

Finally someone gets the hang of it. And I would have preferred cultures from different regions. Not from the same one. A'bad over Kochi. I agree that Kochi needs a team and stuff but A'bad is a better option. Coz it brings together practically an entire community together. There may be diversity in South but its the same region nonetheless. Having said that, good luck to Kochi. :two_thumbs_up:

By induction - if it makes sense for each South Indian culture to be represented by an IPL team then it should also make sense for every Indian culture to be represented by one.
I induced that he meant creating a team for a language/culture/state combo makes more sense than dividing the fan base by creating two teams per language/culture/state combo as is the case with Mumbai and Pune. I wouldnt want to divide the Tamil fan base by creating a team from Coimbatore as it takes the fun out of supporting one team who is close to you than the other. And this is not a communist country/venture to give everyone a piece each to start a team per language/culture. Businessmen tend to invest where it is worth. If they feel all language/culture/state in India is worth investing, so be it. All are welcome. But since all south indian states get one if you feel entitled for all states having one, the answer is this is not a communsit country/venture.

By induction - if it makes sense for each South Indian culture to be represented by an IPL team then it should also make sense for every Indian culture to be represented by one.
if each inidan culture can generate the same kind of money and following , they should .

I induced that he meant creating a team for a language/culture/state combo makes more sense than dividing the fan base by creating two teams per language/culture/state combo as is the case with Mumbai and Pune. I wouldnt want to divide the Tamil fan base by creating a team from Coimbatore as it takes the fun out of supporting one team who is close to you than the other. And this is not a communist country/venture to give everyone a piece each to start a team per language/culture. Businessmen tend to invest where it is worth. If they feel all language/culture/state in India is worth investing, so be it. All are welcome. But since all south indian states get one if you feel entitled for all states having one, the answer is this is not a communsit country/venture.
Exactly :hatsoff: My initial post was comparative in response to OP who argued that Kochi doesn't deserve a franchise more than Pune. Kerala has a large number of fanbase which needs to be tapped, in that sense Kochi is better than Pune. On the other hand, by giving franchise to Pune , they're actually dividing Mumbai's fanbase. Its a fact that team loyalty depends on language/culture/region in that order so there is nothing wrong if businessmen tries to tap them. Kochi is not just going to get support from all Keralites but Mallus all over the world.

CSK- Dhoni, Raina, Tyagi, Gony, Jogi DC- Mohnish Mishra, RPS, Harmeet Singh, Rahul Sharma BRC- PK, Kohli, Goswami, B Kumar What bias are we talking about? Doesnt matter much if there are not too many teams from North or East, the players are getting picked for the teams and getting to play the matches, as long as that happens why bother about where the team is based. I would expect Kochi to pick some very good players (irrespective of the state they belong to) as well.

Maybe the first step towards getting a team in IPL would be to get a proper cricket stadium first.
The Kanpur stadium is good. Infact, I would've liked Kanpur to get an IPL team this year, maybe over Pune. But as Sahara said, he chose Pune because there are lesser hassles (read: little interference), eventhough his first choice was UP. They need to get politics out of the way or they'll keep losing stuff to other states.

The Kanpur stadium is good. Infact, I would've liked Kanpur to get an IPL team this year, maybe over Pune. But as Sahara said, he chose Pune because there are lesser hassles (read: little interference), eventhough his first choice was UP. They need to get politics out of the way or they'll keep losing stuff to other states.
The UPCA doesn't own the stadium,the local administration does. A franchisee based in Kanpur wont be allowed to make changes to this stadium to promote his brand like he can do at other stadiums. The legal and administrative hassles will be too much. Maybe that's why no one bid for the city, not even the Jaypee Group which is a favorite with the current government in UP and is involved in infra projects worth thousadns of crores all across UP. IIRC, some time back the BCCI had asked all state asscoiations to construct cricket stadiums of their own if they hoped to host interational matches in future and in fact disbursed some money as well. So may be the fault lie with UPCA chief Rajiv Shukla and his team for not being proactive and doing nothing on that issue.

Finally someone gets the hang of it. And I would have preferred cultures from different regions. Not from the same one. A'bad over Kochi. I agree that Kochi needs a team and stuff but A'bad is a better option. Coz it brings together practically an entire community together. There may be diversity in South but its the same region nonetheless. Having said that, good luck to Kochi. :two_thumbs_up:
Man this is my first post here.. If u think Ahmdbad is better option why didnt those guys who spent Rs 1300 crore thought like that..?????? In the consortioum that owns IPL team ,majority of people are from Gujarath. They have their own logic to buy a team for kerala..They are mainly concentrating on gulf investors like Yousuf Ali ,owner of LULU Shopping Malls. [They are constructing their first shopping mall in INDIA at COCHIN which is going to be the biggest n the Country] They have already said that they have plans to play one or more home matches at Dubai also And cochin GCDA Stadium have the capacity of more than 75000.. And I dont think there is nt any need to be worried about the Ahmdbd team.Adani group had the oppurtunity to bid for them.They are one of the richest in the world..right?? IPL AND MODI NEEDS MONEY..IF U WANT TO BE IN U NEED TO SPEND IT..THATS IT.. SO ADANI :finger:

That doesnt even make sense. There is diversity but it is the same?

+1.

Ahmedabad, Kanpur deserve a franchise. One would not invest in a team for orissa, assam or bihar as these regions are economically backward. North-east has zero following for cricket.So franchises are ruled out here as well.Other than the above two, I don't see any prospect for IPL expansion in the near future.