What I have learnt this IPL

Ultimate_Game

These are some of the things I noticed after following IPL this year pertaining to Indian cricket... 1. Uthappa - Robin Uthappa has improved a lot. In fact I can't recognize he's the same batsman that was on view in last year's IPL. I think he needs to be given a longer run in the national side in the near future and could be our trump card in the world cup next year. In fact I would rather have Uthappa in the team than Yusuf Pathan. Uthappa has shown some skill against better bowlers but Yusuf is a weak bowler bully and don't think can take apart international quality attack. 2. R Ashwin - Impressed by R Ashwin. Didn't know much about him before IPL but his bowling action is very similar to Murali and I see him as a better option in the middle overs (for both containing runs and picking up wickets) than Harbhajan. Needs to given a break in the national side and could be in the reckoning for a spot in the world cup squad in 2011. 3. Pragyan Ojha - Ojha is one of the better spinners we have at the moment and definitely better than Piyush Chawla. I can understand his non-selection for T20 world cup since we already have two left arm spinners in Jadeja & Yuvraj but he should be on call in case Jadeja is off the boil and in test cricket he should be our second spinner, and maybe even the go to guy in case Harbhajan is off the boil. 4. Lack of pace bowling options - Other than Zaheer Khan I don't think we have any pacers we can pick with confidence. Maybe Praveen Kumar is a credible option since he can swing the new ball but after that it's a gamble. I have no confidence whatsoever in Nehra, Sreesanth, Ishant, RP Singh etc. They are way too inconsistent and leave a lot to be desired. I would rather have irfan Pathan as at least it will shore up our batting since Irfan gives us much needed batting depth which will be needed to cover for our weak bowling attack. 5. Fielding - No matter what one says but other than a few good fielders such as Raina, R Sathish our fielding at domestic level is pathetic. I haven't seen as many sitters dropped as I have seen in this year's IPL. This is a worrying sign as we don't have a great bowling attack and our bowlers need as much support as posiible. No quick fixes there i am afraid. 6. Yuvraj Singh - Have to say I haven't seen someone get so out of shape so soon. The guy's almost a mini Inzimam for crying out loud! Looking at his huge pot-belly it seems he spent the last few months drinking beer and eating butter chickens. On top of his fitness woes he's totally out of form, which may be linked to his fitness. Given the fact he's an integral and a crucial component of our batting order he better do something about his fitness soon. I am afraid an out of form Yuvraj doesn't bode too well for our world cup hopes. I wonder what our coaches, fitness trainers and BCCI do to ensure that our players (who are under BCCI contract) maintain their fitness. If yuvraj were in NFL or EPL I am sure he would have gotten a stern talking to from his coach and possibly would have been sat out a few games. 7. Tendulkar - No matter what the format he's the best batsman going around. Period. Overall what I have seen so far is that our batting and spin bowling are in good shape whereas our fast bowling and fielding have deteriorated even further. Thus we should reinforce our batting depth by playing all-rounders such as Jadeja, Irfan & Yusuf Pathan and bank on spinners (Harbhajan, Ashwin, Ojha etc.) to win us the cup.

Ojha's action to me is suspect. It is a real shame though. By the way, Murali Karthik is a few leagues better than Ojha. And yes, Ashwin is a good defensive spinner. Somewhat one dimensional at times and I have seen him go for plenty when he is in such a mood, but overall good bet for limited overs matches. Also Praveen Kumar - on batting wickets - is a luxury. He also becomes totally toothless once the ball has lost its shine and does not swing. The only ball he bowls at the death is the slower one. He's going to cop it one of these days.

@thevortex, As far as bowling actions go, if Murali's action is fine then Ojha and Ashwin should be fine as well. Murali Kartik is a nice performer but to me he doesn't offer us more than Ojha. Ojha has age on his side and can be groomed for the future. Pity Kartik didn't get a longer run as he could have been a decent bowler for us. As for Praveen I see him as a new ball bowler and if I am the captain I would bowl most of his overs in the first spell and maybe keep 2-3 overs for the batting power play. Unfortunately we don't have too many options at the death. Maybe Zaheer can hold one end up but other than that we need our batting to score more than our opponents.

RPS being the orange cup winner taught me a few things. Take the IPL performances with a pinch of salt and dont base opinions based on that. All the players you mentioned need to do well in domestic cricket before their IPL performances are taken into account. We dont play too many t20 internationals and therefore IPL stats aren't of much use.

Looking to my perseptions i think that in this IPL3,2010,,,the bset work is being occupied by sachin Dhoni as far as bowling is considered i think harabhjan singh is considerd to be best bowler,if we remeber his contribution to indian cricket team he managed to win the man of the match On 28th march, Sunday, 2010, 25th match of IPL between Deccan Chargers VS Mumbai Indians The main source of Mumbai Indians victory was a mere Indian off spinner Harbhajan Singh.

RPS being the orange cup winner taught me a few things. Take the IPL performances with a pinch of salt and dont base opinions based on that. All the players you mentioned need to do well in domestic cricket before their IPL performances are taken into account. We dont play too many t20 internationals and therefore IPL stats aren't of much use.
I hear you and yes we should follow the players' performances in domestic tourneys. But sometimes a 20-20 performance against decent opposition tells you more than a great performance against poor opposition. For example, Uthappa has managed to score runs against bowlers such as Lee, Ryan Harris etc. whereas Yusuf Pathan only manages to score against poor quality bowling. Even his domestic performances lead me to the same conclusion as his double century in Duleep trophy final and a 100 off 40 ball in a domestic match came against bowling attacks which didn't have too many threats. Time and again we have seen as soon as you put Yusuf against quality bowlers he is found out. Purely judging on domestic record and going by scorecard Yusuf would seem to be way better than Uthappa but if I had to pick one of the two to score against a quality opposition, I would lean toward Uthappa.