is India the greatest Asian tennis playing nation?

Manny_Pacquiao

We might be the greatest in doubles, but in singles, other countries have given birth to some much better players One name which comes to mind is Paradon Srichapan from thailand. Though he still i would rate less than Leander Paes. Paes in singles went to achieve bronze medal in olympics Atlanta. Something which he hasn't even achieved in doubles which consistently plays.

What record?
Record in grand slams, singles, davis cup, rankings and that sort of thing. u obviously know nothing about indian tennis.
We might be the greatest in doubles, but in singles, other countries have given birth to some much better players One name which comes to mind is Paradon Srichapan from thailand. Though he still i would rate less than Leander Paes. Paes in singles went to achieve bronze medal in olympics Atlanta. Something which he hasn't even achieved in doubles which consistently plays.
i disagree. paradorn reached number 9 in the rankings once, and had a win over agassi. but his grand slam record is nothing to write home about, he never made a QF. his GS record is only marginally better than leander's who reached 3rd round in grand slams and has a win against pete sampras to his credit. you can never compare paradorn to Ramanathan Krishnan, Ramesh krishnan, and vijay amritraj. all three guys made QFs at grand slams. paradorn doesnt even come close. in the case of ramanathan krishnan, he made 2 wimbledon semifinals and only lost to guys like rod laver and roy emerson, who are the greatest tennis players of all time and of their generation. in fact, krishnan is probably the greatest asian tennis player that ever lived. can u think of anyone who comes close?

:hysterical::hysterical: how low are standards are...:bow:...on an average' date=' one indian reaches ONE singles grand slam quarter/semi every 20 years[/quote'] How many tennis players have Punjab inducted in the Indian squad ? :finger:

:hysterical::hysterical: how low are standards are...:bow:...on an average' date=' one indian reaches ONE singles grand slam quarter/semi every 20 years[/quote'] From Asia, Khotay. Find me another Asian country that has done better than India! Also tennis is not just about SINGLES matches. There are many great singles players who tried their hands in doubles but couldn't achieve anything. Does that make them any lesser players? No. In the same vein our doubles players, Paes and Bhupathi has won so many titles (not necessarily in each others company) in the last decade or so and they are considered among the best DOUBLES players! Then Vijay Amritaraj was one player unlucky not to have won a grandslam title. He played in the same era of Bogj and Connors otherwise he could have easily won at least one grandslam with the talent he possessed.

From Asia, Khotay. Find me another Asian country that has done better than India! Also tennis is not just about SINGLES matches. There are many great singles players who tried their hands in doubles but couldn't achieve anything. Does that make them any lesser players? No. In the same vein our doubles players, Paes and Bhupathi has won so many titles (not necessarily in each others company) in the last decade or so and they are considered among the best DOUBLES players! Then Vijay Amritaraj was one player unlucky not to have won a grandslam title. He played in the same era of Bogj and Connors otherwise he could have easily won at least one grandslam with the talent he possessed.
Dude, most of them tried hand at doubles as an afterthought. I know it is hard to digest for us as an Indian fans, but singles is where it is at. Doubles is never gonna give anyone greatness. I have great hope from upcoming talent to do some wonders in the singles.

i think for a country where tennis is very much a minority sport, where there are only a handful of tennis players at most, india has done ****ing amazing. easily the best asian country. not saying much i know, but its still something to be proud of. even today the commentators were talking about krishnans and vijay amritraj, their impeccable technique...they have left behind a nice legacy

None of Krishnan or Vijay Amritraj can match the greatest Asian tennis player to date. And he is Leander Paes. He won Bronze medal in singles in Atlanta Olympics.. Yes in Singles.. along with tons of doubles titles Leander Paes, Greatest Asian, and then to hell with BEST Asian country. Not a great category it is which needs importance.