Subramaniam Badrinath

thevortex

Badrinath is typical Indian Domestic Talent that prosper on docile wickets,average attacks,matka cricket AKA IPL T20...so I am not surprised at all. The focus should be not on how much he scored but does he have techniques and unless any of these so called talents have that, it is a disappointment all the way. Tragedy is BCCI still believes that domestic players playing IPL will learn from international players and will develop as World class players by playing couple of IPL seasons. The truth is current Indian TEST side desperately needs class players to replace SRT,VVS and Dravid in next 2 yrs which we don't have...(pl don't give names of Raina,Yuvraj and Nohit)...same goes for bowlers nothing showing promising after Zaheer....may be India can still be an average side but definitely not #1 test side in World.

Is it too harsh to say there is no point giving a 30 year old a chance? India are looking to consolidate their future. We should be looking at the 18-24 bracket and give chances to talented youngsters that have a chance to learn. At 30, Badrinath would've picked up too many bad habits from village IPL rubbish. I wouldn't have selected him in the first place. Unfair? Life's not fair. It happens in jobs and it should happen in international cricket.

I never liked the way he plays each and every ball. He doesn't come forward confidently. May be he does in Indian pitches. I am not sure why he keeps trying to play every goddamn ball to thirdman. May be even 80 mph is too fast for him? I don't know . He is just not confident enough to come forward and play the shot. May be he does in domestic tournament. At the international level his release shot is exposing all 3 stumps and carves over covers. Other than that there is no timing that you see with guys like Kohli,ROHIT or any power you see with Raina. As a batsman you either have to time (Kohli, Rohit) or place (Gambhir) or muscle (Raina) it. Unfortunately Badri is :fail: in all 3 areas.

What a waste of talent' date=' Badri. We waited for years to see you in the Indian colored jersey. Regardless, I will stick pick this guy over Raina in Test matches.[/quote'] I agree with that. Suresh Raina isn't a test match batsman by any stretch of imagination. Badri should definitely be picked in the team for the first test at least. I really hope he comes good. But, this is most likely his last chance.
I never liked the way he plays each and every ball. He doesn't come forward confidently. May be he does in Indian pitches. I am not sure why he keeps trying to play every goddamn ball to thirdman. May be even 80 mph is too fast for him? I don't know . He is just not confident enough to come forward and play the shot. May be he does in domestic tournament. At the international level his release shot is exposing all 3 stumps and carves over covers. Other than that there is no timing that you see with guys like Kohli' date='ROHIT or any power you see with Raina. As a batsman you either have to time (Kohli, Rohit) or place (Gambhir) or muscle (Raina) it. Unfortunately Badri is :fail: in all 3 areas.[/quote'] :(( I thought he will make a good player at the international level because of his temperament. Unfortunately, Outy is proved right :sniffle:

Badrinath, Yusuf running out of time by Sriram Veera There is a good article by Sriram Veera on ESPNCricinfo on Yusuf Pathan & S. Badrinath Source

It wasn't that long ago when Dale Steyn made Badrinath look out of his depth in a Test in India. Here, in the West Indies, Andre Russell, nowhere close to Steyn in class or pace, made Badrinath hop and jump awkwardly on a docile pitch. Badrinath is not a very wristy player; his strokeplay is all arms. Under pressure, those hands start gripping the bat tighter, the arms start stabbing, and the ball doesn't seem to move off the turf. It looks like a struggle, it feels like a struggle and perhaps, it is a struggle.
It's not that Badrinath is not mentally tough: if he wasn't, he wouldn't have survived the years of rejection and continued reaping runs in domestic cricket to the extent that the selectors were almost forced to pick him. The real question though, and one he has so failed to answer is whether he is international class? This is the same Badrinath who handled the short balls well in South Africa during the second season of the IPL; constantly side stepping to upper cut them. Those deliveries had more pace and bounce than the ones he faced in Antigua. But the pressure of playing international cricket is vastly different from the IPL and it does strange things. Badrinath is a very intense man and by his own admission feels he has to learn to go easy on himself. He has one more game before the Test series to get it right. Will he be able to produce a knock of real substance?
Note : Emphasis in quotes is mine This is the interesting part written about Badrinath. How he handles pressures will determine how long he will be in the Indian team. Personally, I think Badrinath has done enough to be given chances to play in next three test matches (unless he gives really bad performances) and assess how he plays. He should be given enough chances to fail for what he has done in domestic cricket. With Dhoni being the captian and team management apparently behind him, he has all the circumstances necessary to succeed. Regarding One Day Cricket, unless he plays exceptional innings in the last WI ODI, its almost a foregone conclusion that he wont play much for Indian ODI team, given how strong our regular Indian ODI team is.
^so Indian selectors don't know know if a person is a good ODI player or a good test player. Badri can be a good Test player if given more chances proven from his Ranji record. They keep giving him more chances in ODIs and keep proving how bad a player he is. Test cricket and ODI are different ball games which the selectors don't seem to get it.
If this guy cannot score 30-40 odd runs with WI 'B' team, I'm not sure where else he can. If a guy doesn't show temperament to score in an ODI series how can you hand a test cap? Bye Bye Badri.... you are done and dusted!
Kohli and Raina failures are not bigger issues They have played several innings where they looked the part. Badri hasn't played even one such innings in his career. Even Nohit has played some innings that are noteworthy. Heck Parthiv patel who i thought a complete misfit for ODI has outdone Badri comfortably. There are some guys who just have poor shot selection but otherwise a good bat. Badri tries not to get out yet he keeps getting out. I used to cringe that Karthik kept getting preferred over Badri. Honestly KKD is way better international batsman than Badri. That is not saying much.
:two_thumbs_up:

Here is a comment by a Cricinfo user opposing what the Cricinfo article suggested about Badri: I dont understand why time is running out for Badri? Is it because he is a tamil brahmin? when rohit, kohli, raina, kaif, yuvraj, yusuf pathan, irfan pathan, zaheer khan, etc. have got ample opportunities failure after failure helping them cement a place in team india, why not give that opportunity to badri? Especially this is the right time to India to give ample opportunities as Team India is winning series. Badri should be given another 20/30 ODI's and 5/10 test matches, and then a verdict needs to be passed. He should be given opportunity to play in different conditions. You cannot go on sacking players just because they had a bad series in west indies. India travel to west indies once in 4/5 years and the conditions in west indies is totally different from other countries. Who knows... may be Badri could be a super star in a different condition where we play more often? India need a team for different venues.

^ facepalm at the Tamil Brahmin comment :facepalm: So Telugu brahmins like Sharma get chances but Badri does not? People need to come out of their mentality of searching conspiracy theories in everything If Badri keeps getting chances, others will say Krish is a tamil brahmin and hence Badri is persisted with.