The last group game: Ind vs WI pre-match talk

mastana

The last group game: Ind vs WI pre-match talk  

1. 1.

• India will win
    • West Indies will win

India for me. They have some OK players and will put up a fight but I expect us to come through - yes' date=' we narrowly lost to SA and tied with England but those teams are stronger than WI.[/quote'] I wouldn't call this Eng team, without KP and especially Broad, stronger than WI. At the moment Eng have no match-winners in the team whereas WI have 3 in Gayle, Pollard and roach. It's astonishing that we allowed a player like Strauss to score 150+ against us by posting fielders on the boundary knowing fully well that Strauss is not a big hitter and prefers singles and ground shots to going over the top.
I wouldn't call this Eng team' date=' without KP and especially Broad, stronger than WI. At the moment Eng have no match-winners in the team whereas WI have 3 in Gayle, Pollard and roach. It's astonishing that we allowed a player like Strauss to score 150+ against us by posting fielders on the boundary knowing fully well that Strauss is not a big hitter and prefers singles and ground shots to going over the top.[/quote'] So you think Eoin Morgan is not a match winner but Pollard, who averages 18 with a strike rate of 92 against non minnows, is?
So you think Eoin Morgan is not a match winner but Pollard' date=' who averages 18 with a strike rate of 92 against non minnows, is?[/quote'] Let me put it this way... if I have to bowl at a batsman I would prefer to do so against Morgan than Pollard. Pollard is similar to Pathan and can win the game for you or change the course of the match from any position. Morgan on the other hand is similar to Chanderpaul - quite sturdy but not a game-changer. I would say all of our top 7 can do much better than what Morgan can but Pollard is sort of a curve ball. That's why I am more concerned about Gayle and Pollard than anyone else.

Hmmm.,shocking upset,let us see last 3 encounters between these 2 teams in ICC tournaments: Champions trophy 2006-India lost T20 2009-India lost T20 2010-India lost (not counting the 2009 CT,that was a club level WI team :D) If this would have been a bilateral series,I would have said A BIG NO,but becoz its in a ICC world event I am not that confident,becoz Indian team has generally flattered to decieve in world events.

Hmmm.,shocking upset,let us see last 3 encounters between these 2 teams in ICC tournaments: Champions trophy 2006-India lost T20 2009-India lost T20 2010-India lost (not counting the 2009 CT,that was a club level WI team :D) If this would have been a bilateral series,I would have said A BIG NO,but becoz its in a ICC world event I am not that confident,becoz Indian team has generally flattered to decieve in world events.
Pls don't bring in T20 results into the equation and 2006 was a time when we had Dravid, Ganguly etc. This team is totally different from that team. A T20 match can be won by one big innings but a 50 over game requires much more than just 1 performance.
Pls don't bring in T20 results into the equation and 2006 was a time when we had Dravid' date=' Ganguly etc. This team is totally different from that team. A T20 match can be won by one big innings but a 50 over game requires much more than just 1 performance.[/quote'] I am not talking about T20 ,I am generalizing our performance against them or for that matter any other team in ICC world events(since 2004 CT) ,which is very poor .So if they beat us I will not be surprised becoz India in ICC events have been generally poor over the last 6-7 years . Though I am also backing India to win this one,just not fully confident about that :--D
I am not talking about T20 ,I am generalizing our performance against them or for that matter any other team in ICC world events(since 2004 CT) ,which is very poor .So if they beat us I will not be surprised becoz India in ICC events have been generally poor over the last 6-7 years . Though I am also backing India to win this one,just not fully confident about that :--D
Anything can happen when two teams meet but based on form and talent at the moment India start as favorites but it doesn't mean they are guaranteed a win. Again, most of our poor performances in ICC events happened before 2007. After 2007 there was only one event - CT, where we lost one and one match was rained out. I wouldn't diss the team based on that sample. The problem is that ICC events are so few and far between that it's tough to rely on results from those events. Another factor you have to take into account for India's poor performance in these events is that India are notoriously slow starters. In an event like CT which is essentially a knockout format from the start, this weakness goes against us, but here we have had time to get settled and I don't think WI will be able to surprize us.
I wouldn't call this Eng team' date=' [b']without KP and especially Broad, stronger than WI. At the moment Eng have no match-winners in the team whereas WI have 3 in Gayle, Pollard and roach. It's astonishing that we allowed a player like Strauss to score 150+ against us by posting fielders on the boundary knowing fully well that Strauss is not a big hitter and prefers singles and ground shots to going over the top.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: