Akshardham

Rajiv

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Akshardham man it's mind-boggling gujrarati guys are so generous when it comes to donating for religious cause.. my friend one of the most miser guy i have ever seen used to donate $ 10000 at one go to this trust

Re: Akshardham

How many millions spent? Is it really needed? Couldn't we have built a shelter for destitute children instead?
I'm always for that kind of charity, but for many people religion is too important.

Re: Akshardham

How many millions spent? Is it really needed? Couldn't we have built a shelter for destitute children instead?
Dhondy. If you think about it then building such masterpieces helps a lot of people. The labour that goes in such temples is unfortunately not as widely appreciated today. If you look at the statues on the pillars of the temples you would realize that these are mostly hand-crafted and by most accounts a dying arts these days. That combined with the years it would have taken to be built would mean jobs for many unskilled workers. Plus of course it adds to the beauty of the city, and also a spot for families to go out to(something that we greatly miss in India). I am all for such religious structures provided there are not too many of them. I mean if there were 10 Akshardham in Delhi one can question it for sure, but 1 or 2 we surely can live with. xxxx

Re: Akshardham Well, if we see it that way then comparatively we waste money on many things. In a perfect world, I would love to agree with Dhondy. I am sure there are many such projects which would seem useless but it's everyone's choice I guess From what I have seen, most people who donate for temples; also donate for other charities

Re: Akshardham I think Lurker has a point, the dying art gets a shot in the arm and preserving such masterly skills down the generations is certainly good. I was quite moved after watching those videos about the lost temples of India and I reckon this gives a good opportunity for the skills that has been passed over generations to flourish.

Re: Akshardham Better spend money on architecture than capturing a guy and a girl dancing around trees on film. I'm all for architectural masterpieces, religious or not. I've never been inside the place though seen it from the outside quite a few times. Will make it a point to visit during the next visit.

Re: I was there back in February of 2006. The complex is immense, and unlike every other place in Delhi - immaculately clean. Back then some sculptures around the main temple were still under construction (ie; the elephants you see in the 9th picture posted above) but the whole place looked magnificent. There are sculptures of animals and people which represent tales from Hindu mythology - all very intricate and beautifully crafted. It is a true architectural marvel. The crowds were there in the hordes as well, and we had to wait in line for 45 mins or so to get entry. I think it's construction was funded almost entirely by NRI donations