From problem of plenty to problems aplenty for Delhi

Switchblade

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/from-problem-of-plenty-to-problems-aplenty/774553/ New Delhi: Nita Ambani, co-owner of the Mumbai Indians, liked what she saw of her team during their first outing in the fourth season of the Indian Premier League. She expressed her pleasure by springing to her feet and applauding each time a Delhi Daredevils’ batsman fell, five of them to Sri Lankan fast bowler Lasith Malinga. Sitting on plush sofas on the other end were three men from GMR, the owners of Delhi Daredevils, who are the brains behind the composition of the side. They looked rather sheepish by the time their team’s innings ended at the Ferozeshah Kotla on Sunday. For a team, which retained just Virender Sehwag and allowed Gautam Gambhir and Daniel Vettori, captains in this season, along with AB DeVilliers to leave, this is the kind of start that was expected. Until the last season, Delhi had the proverbial embarrassment of riches, but now they are struggling to get the combination right, far from being the balanced side of the first three editions. This team have eight fast bowlers. Coach Greg Shipperd wants to play on the greener tracks but the wicket at the Kotla on Sunday wasn’t loaded in favour of medium-pacers. The nature of the wicket at the Kotla is unlikely to change too much and that means Delhi could struggle as they don’t have a match-winning spinner in their ranks. Ashok Dinda, Morne Morkel, Umesh Yadav and Irfan Pathan provide an interesting mix to their attack. On Sunday, they didn’t have enough runs to defend. Yet Yadav and Dinda can be erratic, Pathan, back after a long layoff, will take time to find his rhythm again. South African Morkel needs wickets with bounce to be effective. At the top of the batting order the Daredevils possess hitters like Sehwag and David Warner but the middle-order is running thin on experience and class. On Sunday, Sehwag made 19, while Naman Ojha top-scored with 29 and Y Venugopal Rao hit 26, but there was no forceful innings from the home side. The skipper, after the loss, admitted that this side was lacking depth. “We are missing a world-class spinner in our ranks and I am trying my best to manage with the resources I have. Roelof van der Merwe is a quality spinner, so I think he can do the job for me. I have to back my team. I have to look and bat through the overs because I am the most experienced player in the side,†Sehwag said. Delhi have little time to regroup as their next game is at Jaipur versus the Rajasthan Royals on Tuesday. “We have to work on getting the combination right,†Sehwag said. On paper the team composition didn’t seem right after the auction. It waits to be seen if Sehwag can find the right balance on the field

Sehwag's fitness must be pretty bad. He's not a bowler yet for some reason is almost always carrying it seems a fast bowler's injury. Not taking away from the player he is, but Sehwag needs to start looking at his fitness especially as he not getting any younger.
now thats real! :nice: