Hope we don't lose a talent like Rohit Sharma

Ultimate_Game

It was the 70 odd against Aus in CB series final that I was refering to. And as for the other examples, they are but cameos. Quite frankly, I dont think anyone would want to pass over Sharma. It would be horrible if it happens in the long term. But some of the others DO deserve an extended run. He is sure to make it into the T20 team for India. In ODIs, there is one spot up for grabs, and Raina and Pathan are the ones in contention, both of whom have giving some really good perfomaces. If Sachin doesnt play often enough, another spot opens up and I would love to see Ambati Rayadu play in it. I think he is a very good all round batsman. So where exactly would you include Rohit? Tests are a long, long way away for him. Pujara and Kohli, and Yuvraj and BAdri being the dark horses, are the ones fighting it out. Doesnt give a lot of leeway to Rohit. As talented as he is, I believe that their are better perfoming alternatives. He may still make it into the ODI team in the post Sachin period, but for that he has to do exceedingly well.
I thought the 70 odd you mentioned was the T20 game against Aus in WI last year. Anyways we are both on the same page regarding his talent. The way I see the team, Tendulkar will unlikely play the 2015 world cup and most probably will give up odis after a year or two and focus on Test cricket. Sehwag is also someone who may not be around considering his injuries of late - shoulder and back. Then we have the Pathan position up for grabs. Essentially we are looking at 2-3 spots which may be up for grabs and other 2 spots in the WC squad as backup batsmen. If the tourney were to be held in subcontinent it wouldn't have mattered much who would come in as you would expect most Indian batsmen to perform in subcontinental conditions but considering the WC will be held in Aus and most of India games may be based in Perth/WACA (due to better viewing time in India), it is imperative that the batsmen be technically sound. At the moment very few names come to mind and Rohit is one of the guys who can actually be of use in Aus as he doesn't have weakness against short pitched stuff and is generally a good player of pace bowling. Ultimately the leash that you give a player should be based on the talent or potential a player shows and Rohit has shown us that he deserves to be persisted with a bit longer.

What we know is that he has the talent and can really do well in international cricket if he REALLY wants to. The challenge is to really make him want to do it. Looking from a psychological viewpoint, I would say that we don't let him into the team for the next few series. Instead make him the Captain of India A or something to give him a sense of responsibility. Prefer guys like Rayudu , Uthappa, Vijay , Pujara and Tiwary over him for the indian team to west indies and following few series. The objective is, to really haunt him to a point that he is ready to do absolutely anything to get another chance with team india. Once he is really able to earn that place, the memories of how hard he had to fight to get there won't let him slip or get casual while playing for india.

Care to tell us what they did at intl level in the shorter format of the game? They simply couldn't cut it against quality opponents. Rohit has showed glimpses of his potential... case in point his 50 in the T20 match against SA on a pretty pace friendly pitch against quality bowling and against Aus in the last T20 Cup at Barbados where he was the lone Indian batsman to show up. I can at least give you instances where Rohit has showcased his class at the top level against quality opponents but I am sorry to say I haven't seen anything yet from Vijay or Jadeja. If you can provide instances to support your argument I will be happy to take my words back.
Look I have absolutely no problems in your support for Rohit or for that matter any other youngster. It's the double standard that irks me. Like Vijay and Jadeja, Rohit too has done well in the IPL but failed to consistently do well at the international level. Coincidently, all the examples that you have given of Rohit's good batting was from the pre-IPL days barring that t20 knock vs Aus in the last edition. As for instances, well Vijay has played just 9-10 ODIs and a few t20s, so writing him off would be silly. Has shown enough in tests to suggest that he can do well at the international level. For Jadeja, 4/32 vs Sri Laka or that spell of 2/29 he bowled in the 1st match against SA when everyelse was going for 6-7 RPO or 3 wickets he took vs Australia in an ODI..His batting was found wanting at the international level and he was out of the team for that reason.

He has way more talent than Kambli. Kambli was found out by WI and couldn't play short ball at all. Rohit doesn't have any glaring weakness and looks one of the most asssured Indian batsman against a quality attack. His problem is more related to shot selection which could be rectified. The guy throws his wkt away more often than not and very rarely do you see him struggling against any bowler.
he has technical deficiencies and not that good against short balls either. He plays across and plants his front foot too much towards covers which makes him a big LBW candidates to bowlers like PK and Kulasekara who can swing it in. He needs eradicate that. He has not done in so many months since he found out in a tri series in srilanka last year. Manish Pandey is as good as him..Both have similar techniques, you lazy elegance, but loose, and both have every hosts in their books. If Rohit can be succeed so can Pandey and also Pandey has played more cruical and important innings for Karnataka in an inexperience batting line up.

So the last time you saw Bradman play aesthetically pleasing shots like these was when ? :hmmm:
Firstly, I hope you did not misunderstand me by any chance that I am not a fan of Tendulkar!!!!! Off course, there is no doubt that SRT is a complete package (well 99.5 % perfect as Sobers put it) with not just aesthetics but also performance and everything you need from a cricketer. He is probably the greatest Cricketer ever to have played the game (My point is something like Steve Waugh puts). Also, I like the Bullet Drive video so much that I watched it very often and even showed to my friends(non-Indian) to show the "Stylishness" in Cricket and why Cricket is such a beautiful game!!! SRT is certainly a long-standing shining example for the same and INDIA is extremely lucky to have him!!! I have never(probably may NEVER) used the word Great for Rohit as a batsman unless he proves me very wrong with consistent performances in the years to come. He is no where near to be called a GREAT batsman. Some times the word Great Talent is used to refer him but that is unrelated to Greatness as a batsman. I hope you don't want this thread to be another SRT vs DBG thread!!!! Yes, my criteria for measuring greatness as a professional is purely determined by how effective he was (in even a reasonable amount of time) rather than someone who is pretty effective for very very long time!!!! However I want to ask a question to you: Some batsman X comes today in Test Cricket and plays for about 10-12 years (without really missing many games) averages about 80, is more or less consistent and hence has higher average number of centuries per match than the current ones, have few high scores of 250+ etc. But let us say the total number of runs is just about 12 k runs and centuries is about 40 or so.. Let us assume that SRT will end up with 60+ average with about 60+ tons and 18 k+ runs etc. and plays for nearly 25 years: If I were to choose someone as greater (Test)batsman among X and SRT, I will go with X My question is what will be your choice??? (assuming no other significant differences) I am not saying that my choice is the correct one(should be the correct one) for everybody... Just saying how I will choose someone as greater in a particular aspect of the game!!!!!! Yes indeed statistics is not everything but outstanding stats over a reasonably long amount of period with consistency is definitely is a criteria!!!! (for me at least :winky:)

I have another question to you Bossbhai!!!! Let us temporarily assume that SRT is the greatest batsman :two_thumbs_up: Who according to you is the second greatest batsman to have ever come in the game of Cricket!!!! - If it is not Bradman, then why do think that your choice is more correct than Bradman? - If it is Bradman, why do think that is the case?

He had his chances' date=' time to give it to them who can make better than Rohit.. Let them Fail Rohit would get his chances again.[/quote'] Yes, you are correct!! I was more emotional than rational when I replied you for first time. Indeed other deserving people should also be given their chances and some of them might turn out be display good looking batting as well (which is what my earlier point was about)!!!

He is by far the most talented young batsman in Indian cricket. We need him to fire for India
This. He needs to be given some more opportunities. There have been many, many players who did'nt perform in the first 50-60 international games but went on to become greats of the game. This guy has all the potential in the world and will come good very soon.

Firstly, I hope you did not misunderstand me by any chance that I am not a fan of Tendulkar!!!!! I hope you don't want this thread to be another SRT vs DBG thread!!!! Yes, my criteria for measuring greatness as a professional is purely determined by how effective he was (in even a reasonable amount of time) rather than someone who is pretty effective for very very long time!!!! However I want to ask a question to you: Some batsman X comes today in Test Cricket and plays for about 10-12 years (without really missing many games) averages about 80, is more or less consistent and hence has higher average number of centuries per match than the current ones, have few high scores of 250+ etc. But let us say the total number of runs is just about 10,000 k and centuries is about 40 or so.. Let us assume that SRT will end up with 60+ average with about 60+ tons and 16 k+ runs etc. and plays for nearly 25 years: If I were to choose someone as greater (Test)batsman among X and SRT, I will go with X My question is what will be your choice??? (assuming no other significant differences)
that is the biggest thing, there is a BIG difference among the two - X faced bowlers who cannot, under any circumstances be compared with the modern day great bowlers :winky:

This. He needs to be given some more opportunities. There have been many' date=' many players who did'nt perform in the first 50-60 international games but went on to become greats of the game. This guy has all the potential in the world and will come good very soon.[/quote'] So you want him to get oppurtunities ahead of the ones who have played 1-2 matches and the ones who are Yet to make their Debut?

that is the biggest thing' date=' there is a BIG difference among the two - X faced bowlers who cannot, under any circumstances be compared with the modern day great bowlers :winky:[/quote'] Well, I m talking about a hypothetical batsman X of present day time and SRT!!! I am hoping that it is fair to assume there are no significant differences between both!!!! You are welcome to answer both the questions that I have raised to Boss Bhai!!!!

Well' date=' I m talking about a[b'] hypothetical batsman X of present day time and SRT!!! I am hoping that it is fair to assume there are no significant differences between both!!!! You are welcome to answer both the questions that I have raised to Boss Bhai!!!!
Now that the whole list of "actual" batsmen - Lara, Ponting, Kallis, VIv Richards, Bradman etc etc has been exhausted, people start comparing Goddy to a "hypothetical batsman" :giggle:

Now that the whole list of "actual" batsmen - Lara' date=' Ponting, Kallis, VIv Richards, Bradman etc etc has been exhausted, people start comparing Goddy to a "hypothetical batsman" :giggle:[/quote'] Well you can take it whatever way you want to!!!! Since we seem to have a different opinion as to who is the greatest, I would like to know your criteria to measure "greatness of a batsman"!!!!!! To know if it is indeed the same or different..> If it is the same then why are we differing in our final opinion... If it is different, then off course we have to agree to disagree as our criteria itself is different, how can we ever agree with the same answer!!!!! Then, why keep wasting our time discussing the same thing again and again and still not coming with any conclusion!!!!!!! :clap:

Even kohli went through a rough patch at intl level. Rohit fc record is almost same as virat. bit more dedication and attitude(I hope it will improve now as he has left Vijay Malya's team :D) .. he will get his place cemented .. I am sure.