Rixon considered for Pakistan role

Rixon considered for Pakistan role Cricinfo staff May 30, 2007 spacer.gif7359.jpg Steve Rixon has not yet applied for the role, but is considering it © Getty Images Steve Rixon, the former Australia wicketkeeper, has been sounded out as a potential coach of Pakistan. However, Rixon said the unexplained death of Bob Woolmer had left him in doubt whether he wanted the job and he has not officially applied. Pakistan's board was reportedly impressed by Rixon's successful stretch as New Zealand's coach from 1996 to 1999, and specifically his work with the captain Stephen Fleming. Rixon said whether he put in for the Pakistan position might depend on what police uncovered about Woolmer's death in Jamaica at the World Cup. "They [Pakistan] have made contact with me, I have spoken to them," Rixon told Cricinfo. "I haven't indicated whether I'm interested yet. I'm finding it extremely hard to get over the fact Bob Woolmer is no longer with us, to be honest. I'd never say never, but I'll be interested in the results of the inquiry." As well as Pakistan, there are still senior coaching vacancies in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Without naming specific nations, Rixon confirmed he had "spoken to a few different countries" but had not committed to applying for any of the roles. Rixon, who is based in Sydney, said coaching on the subcontinent would be a very different challenge, if he chose to pursue it. "It's something that's not grabbing me and saying 'you've got to come and do it'," Rixon said of a potential move to Asia. "But who knows? This interest might be the spark that gets me there." Rixon spent two years at the helm of Surrey from 2004-05 and has also had two separate stints as the coach of New South Wales. He hoped to return to the international ranks as John Buchanan's replacement this year, although Australia instead chose Tim Nielsen. © Cricinfo
http://content-www.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/296351.html

Rixon was a fantastic coach for NZ. Pakistan will be blessed to have him as their coach. Rixon worked along with Fleming and made NZ a fighting unit. Cairsny, Flem, Parore and Nash owe their successful careers to Rixon. I think Pakistan is unable to get a decent coach. One day they say Wright, the next Whatmore, then Moody and now Rixon. Get a bloody coach already and stop spamming around.

lol ravi thats not their fault now.. its just that they have made such reputation and hence no one really want to coach pak now other then some desperate one.. btw India is not far behind too.. its just that in India's case,Bcci not revealing which bloke they want, where as in pak's case, they dont have anything to reveal as yet

lol ravi thats not their fault now.. its just that they have made such reputation and hence no one really want to coach pak now other then some desperate one.. btw India is not far behind too.. its just that in India's case,Bcci not revealing which bloke they want, where as in pak's case, they dont have anything to reveal as yet
Is it Pakistan's fault that their coach is murdered in a foreign country? Anyways i think R Harper, J Adams and T Boon and a few others have already applied for the job and my guess is that they will go with T Boon. .
Is it Pakistan's fault that their coach is murdered in a foreign country?
Pakistan cricket has a lot of uncertainty as of late. First was the chucking controversy with Akhtar and Shabbir. Akhtar can be justified away but there is ZERO justification for Shabbir and yet he wasnt banned by the PCB. Then came blatant doping cheating by Akhtar and Asif plus PCB's blatant in-your-face refusal to ban these two characters for AT LEAST the same period Shane Warne got banned for. Then came the death of coach.Nobody knows for certain right now if Woolmer died a natural death or if it was murder. Nobody knows if the murderer is within PAK team/has contacts with PAK team/is a foreigner etc. In this atmosphere, i can easily see why foreign coaches will hesitate before taking on PCB's offer. Dead coach, dopers, chuckers, etc- the cup runneth over ! PCB and PAK team of the last 5-6 years might just be the most unethical team/board to've played any competetive professional team sport.
It may not even be a murder MP, it could be natural death. R.Harper was a tough player in his days, he can be a good coach. Wonder why WI cricketers weren't picked to coach other teams so far.
From what i've noticed in the caribbean community, they care a LOT about the playing credentials of the coach. Not to say that Bennett King is a great coach but when he got appointed, WI people were up in arms since 'mr nobody first-class also-ran player King' replaced 'mr captain' Clive Lloyd. For some strange reason, they think that superior player = knows more about the game = makes better coach than 'mr nobody first class oldie turned coach'.