You Know You Grew Up in India in the 90s When…

ganeshran

I grew up in the 80's and hit my teens exactly in 1990...what a fun time man that was! Alright, anyone rode the 50 paise for 1 hour bicycles during the summer vacation? (this should be more like mid 80s). And anyone rode the bicycle in the "kainchi" style? (scissor style) Hyderabad kids - Atari chocolate (the one with coconut in the middle...it would be imported from the gulf)? Bangalore kids - tothapuri mangos? BSA SLR? Street Cat? Top of the Pops? Hercules cycle? Doordarshan's "Happy New Year" shows with Ashan Bhinsale singing?

Do you guys remember Sigma. I vaguely remember it but there was one episode with some creepy bun-shaped creatures. One of those bun-thingies attacks a guy on his cheek and he goes all aaarghhhh. I did not eat buns for a long time. :((
yea SIGMA used to come on tv on doordarshan sunday

Alright, anyone rode the 50 paise for 1 hour bicycles during the summer vacation? (this should be more like mid 80s). And anyone rode the bicycle in the "kainchi" style? (scissor style)
Woah, who can forget that! Renting cycles and of course, flying kites – two of the most of in thing to do during the summer holidays!

Woah' date=' who can forget that! Renting cycles and of course, flying kites – two of the most of in thing to do during the summer holidays![/quote']Cool bro!!!!! I used to live in this place called Mahendra Hills in Secunderabad and during the summer we would get those bicycles and given that it's a really rocky place and every road being an "up" or "down"...man the first few minutes were a struggle for me climbing up the hill....would feel like they should increase the time just for that. But when I would go to my cousin's place in Sitafalmandi it was kinda alright. Nice, nice, nice to know there are bros around

Woah' date=' who can forget that! Renting cycles and of course, flying kites – two of the most of in thing to do during the summer holidays![/quote']hey by the way, have u made those "manjas" yourself anytime? Man, we would take haldi, egg, break a bulb into tiny pieces and make a "luddhi" out of it and then make bright yellow manjas or some times add red chilli powder to make red manja. What fun days man they were...innocent and no cares for da world.

yea SIGMA used to come on tv on doordarshan sunday
Shakti, Tara, what was Mita Vasisht's character's name? there was also one more damn cool serial which would come at around 11:30 or 12:00 on Sunday mornings...Indradanush. Damn neat story it was....a "computer" from Andromeda galaxy and then a couple of episodes on time travel back to the 1940s. Anyone remember the cartoon that would come at about 7:45 AM or 8:15 AM on Sunday mornings...this is more in 1985 and 86...the girl/boy has a torch light and a dog and all...dunno the name of it though. Just before Spiderman they would show that.

Cool bro!!!!! I used to live in this place called Mahendra Hills in Secunderabad and during the summer we would get those bicycles and given that it's a really rocky place and every road being an "up" or "down"...man the first few minutes were a struggle for me climbing up the hill....would feel like they should increase the time just for that. But when I would go to my cousin's place in Sitafalmandi it was kinda alright. Nice, nice, nice to know there are bros around
Representing Marredpally East side. :yoyo:

Big Bubble was the first chewing gum I remember.' date=' not sure which one you are saying :hmmm2:[/quote'] I also remember big babble. It had become very popular at one point of time. Anyone remembers animated books? They used to print slides with frames on each page and if you flip through the pages fast using your thumb, you could actually see the animation.

I also remember big babble. It had become very popular at one point of time. Anyone remembers animated books? They used to print slides with frames on each page and if you flip through the pages fast using your thumb, you could actually see the animation.
O we would collect those Big Fun bubble gums players' cards/chits...they had this option to make 200 runs or 10 wickets and they would give us one of those flipper books. I think the flipper book was that of Srikanth playing a hook shot. I remember Kapil, Vengsarkar, Srikanth, Miandad and all had 4 runs associated to their chits. Richards had 6. Shastri had 2 runs...

O we would collect those Big Fun bubble gums players' cards/chits...they had this option to make 200 runs or 10 wickets and they would give us one of those flipper books. I think the flipper book was that of Srikanth playing a hook shot. I remember Kapil, Vengsarkar, Srikanth, Miandad and all had 4 runs associated to their chits. Richards had 6. Shastri had 2 runs...
Collect 10 wickets get a Akram poster, collect 200 runs get a poster of Gavaskar. I also got Allan Border's and Steve Waugh's posters, did not like them and threw them in the dustbin :--D