Let's talk about the DRS

champ

Achilles - I find it funny that you talk as if Sachin confided his thoughts in you. He has said once or twice his reasons which for the record I dont agree with' date=' Dhoni as the captain of the team will obviously be asked and he may have his views how do you know they are not his own views?[/quote'] Good point. I wanted to ask the same.

This seems like a good thread to post this: Need to improve the standard of umpiring - Dhoni MS Dhoni, the India captain, has reiterated his stance that the standard of on-field umpiring needed to be improved instead of relying on the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS) to eradicate errors. Dhoni spoke strongly on the issue on the eve of the second Test against New Zealand in Hyderabad, saying if the quality of umpiring continued to be poor in the future, India could be forced into accepting the system. "The way it's going, if they keep on committing the kind of mistakes they are making, whether we are willing or not willing, we'll have to go with the review system," Dhoni said. "At the same time there should be strong measures to improve the standard of umpiring." The Indians were on the receiving end of two umpiring errors on the final day of the Ahmedabad Test. VVS Laxman and Zaheer Khan were both adjudged lbw off successive deliveries by umpire Steve Davis, who failed to detect the inside edges on to pad. While Laxman's was a sizeable nick, Zaheer's was harder to detect, and both batsmen were visibly dismayed at their dismissals. Had the UDRS been in place, they could have asked for a review and been able to continue batting. Dhoni, however, doesn't see it that way. To him the UDRS shouldn't be a substitute for improving the quality of umpiring since he and others in the team, like Sachin Tendulkar, are of the opinion that the technology used isn't foolproof. "You have two umpires who are supposed to take good decisions on the field. If you see Laxman's decision [in Ahmedabad], I don't know what to say exactly about it," Dhoni said. "We need to improve the standard of umpiring. The umpires have too much pressure about the over-rate, the players' behaviour on the field, the logos and everything apart from giving decisions - that's the most important part. Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan Singh apart, the other Indian players who have voiced their opinions about the UDRS are not in favour of the system since it was first used during the tour of Sri Lanka in 2008. They struggled with their referrals, getting only one of them right, while Sri Lanka successfully challenged 11 decisions. Since then the UDRS has been used in Australia, South Africa, England, New Zealand and West Indies and has found favour with several captains and players. The Indians and the BCCI, however, are firmly opposed to the system, even though the ICC have approved its use in principle during the 2011 World Cup. http://www.cricinfo.com/india-v-new-zealand-2010/content/current/story/486514.html ----------------- I hope the standards go down further..if that's what it takes for Dhoni and co to open their eyes and accept UDRS. :dance:

I support Dhoni's take on this..What's next? A UDRS on Third Umpires too? I mean, where's the end? Cricket has survived for ages now..Why do you want UDRS to cover the incompetence of onfield umpires? Why not spend the money and resources to put a system in place to get highly qualified umpires in the elite panel?

Hey! Don't complain about achilles opining upon this issue using evidence he found when he stuck his head up his ass. C'mon now, you gotta be used to that. Its his birthright to be a moronic, self-righteous idiot. Of course, this is my opinion and this is a free-speech board, so I'm expressing it. If not, the Nazi dictatorial totalitarian moderators can go ahead and edit it.
An idiotic reply from a Grade A idiot, who likes to whine about practically everything under the sun. Now go back to watching your stupid cartoon Colbert. Of course, this is my opinion and this is a free-speech board, so I'm expressing it. If not, the Nazi dictatorial totalitarian moderators can go ahead and edit it. PS- This is the last time I'm replying to you. Spare me. Find someone else to remove your frustrations on. Thanks and take care.

The #1 umpire - the elitest of the elite panel. Normally a good umpire. 3 mistakes so early on in the 2nd Innings. 1 in favor of India (Guptill) 2 against India (missed Hopkins and Ross Taylor, Ross was plumb as plumb can get) At least now will the naysayers of ICF and (hopefully BCCI and team-india) accept UDRS to be the one that can PWN umpires :winky:

No UDRS. Just Third Umpire "over ruling" is required. It's not good to force teams to make lottery like decision of whether to go for a review or not. Indians are not good in making right decisions for reviews. If ICC makes the Third Umpire "over ruling" the ground umpires mandatory, when any appeal is made, everything will be fine..

btw' date='Aleem Dar is no.1 umpire now,he won the award this year[/quote'] Ok, thanks. I meant it in the spirit of "top" umpire in the panel - S. Taufel The thing is even the best are under pressure, so no harm in using the UDRS tech. I think Dhoni will change after WC2011. Lets see.
Hotspot picked the nick' date=' Billy Bowden missed it. Just goes to show no amount of technology can win over incompetence.[/quote'] Nope, nothing conclusive. I saw it, and yes commies were talking about it, but nothing conclusive enough. But in replays it looked pretty obvious. Also in snicko.