When you were there in the crowd

Did you ever went to watch any international cricket match? Surely many of you must have been to some games... share ur moments here.

My Grand Father was a member of FerozSha kotla ground in Delhi. Whenever there was a game in Delhi, we used to go and watch. Tickets were provided to us for free. Here is the list of few games i went to watch in Delhi 

-- India vs Australia, 1996, one of test - Nayank Mongia scored 150ish --

- India vs pakistan, 1999, Anil kumble's test.. 10 wkts, a game unforgettable --

-- India vs lanka, 1996 world cup game, Tendulkar scored 137,

-  India vs NewZeland 1996 world cup game, we won..  

Games I saw in Australia in 02-04 -

- India vs Zim vb series, a nail biter @ adelaide.. we managed to win the game by just 3 runs..sanjay banger bowled the last over.. fantastic p'ship b/w carlisle and sean ervine which kept our Indian fans adrenalin pumping in the crowd till the end.. 

- India vs Aus 03 vb series Brisbane game.. we won by 19 runs..

then the last ever cricket match i watched was this bloody fantastic game which we made a big mess of and lost. It was India vs aus @ sydney in 03.  The game was shortened to 34 overs. Yuvraj was on fire. Their was an over of Harvey where Yuvi hit for 22 runs. Then their was Gilchrist show in the same match.

and then the most sad part was the balaji over.. 3 balls, 7 runs needed and B. Lee hit a six and ended our hope of winning that game. 

I haven't gotten a chance to go to a cricket game ever since that match. 

I have bought tickets for three games... two of the matches got rained out.. ( No prizes for guessing where i am from... :wink_smile:) The one which i did go , turned out to be an absolute heartbreaker for me. I had the ticket for the 2nd day of the first test match btween India-Pak series held in 1999. India were batting that day and i was head over heels in expectation of watchin Sachin score some runs against Pak. This was the time when Sachin was God not just to me , but to most of the cricket followers of India. Unfortunately , He got out for a Duck ! Caught by Ijaz at slip of Saqlain. It was a true anti-climax for me. I half-heartedly stayed through the rest of the day and went home. As "luck" would have had it , Sachin scored one of greatest test centuries by an indian batsman in the 2nd innings. We lost , but cricket won that day. That test will forver have special place in many Indian cricket lover's memory..

Every year I watch about 5-10 days of cricket. Far too many to list :P
Wow Ravi !! i envy you.. I dont even know when i will even have the chance to see a cricket match live again... There was some talk among our friends about going to caribbean to see the world cup. But it was as far as we went... Just talking. Damn i hate to live on a student budget ! :P

1995: PAK vs SL at Faisalabad- I recall Anwar and Sohail playing some really fine shots but SL went on to register their 1st win in PAK.

Unfortunately , He got out for a Duck ! Caught by Ijaz at slip of Saqlain. It was a true anti-climax for me...
slight correction, it was at backward point...:tounge_smile:
few gr8 memorable games u went to watch though???
There's at least one every year. Performances of Cairns, Hadlee, Tendulkar, Lara, Akram, Shoaib Akthar, Waqar, Ambrose, Walsh, Waugh bros, Murali, Flem, Sinclair, McGrath, Srinath, Warnie... geez there are way too many to list.

One day I particularly remember was at the Gabba in '75. It was Oz v. WI. in the first Test of a 6 Test series. We turned up some time before lunch on the third day and settled in. Big picnic lunch, full esky. It was a VERY hot day so cold beers were the order of the day. The Windies won the toss and batted on day 1 but were bundled out for 212 with Greenidge, Kallicharan and Viv making 4 between them. Lillee & Gilmour did the damage. It was Michael Holding's first Test and he did well with the bat, scoring 34 at #8. On to day 3. The Aussies had gained a 152 lead. Greg Chappell hit 123. Lance Gibbs took 5fa and Holding went wicketless. Gordon Greenidge completed a pair of ducks and Holding came in as nightwatchman. At 3/50, WI was in big trouble as Alvin Kallicharran joined Laurence Rowe in the middle. We were about to undergo absolute torture. Sun beating down, no hats or umbrellas, esky emptying at an alarming rate and Alvin and LR fighting a grim rearguard. Fair dinkum! Imagine watching Shiv & Rahul batting together for 4 hours!! Same thing. At tea, someone mentioned their folks were away and we could all go back to their rather palatial mansion and jump into the pool and watch the rest of the day on TV. We needed no convincing. About 7 rather inebriated and sunburnt bodies found their way there and tumbled into the cool waters of the swimming pool. Steam rose. It was some time after the tea interval before we turned on the tele. To our utter dismay, 4 wickets had fallen for 27 runs - Rowe (107), Lloyd (0), Richards (12) and Kallicharran (101). :whatchutalkingabout The Test was notable for: Greg Chappell's first Test as Oz captain. Became the first player to score a century in each innings (123 & 109*) on captaincy debut. Michael Holding returning 0/127 on debut but batting well. A young man named Viv Richards batting at 6 who scored 0 & 12 but fielded ok. :wink_smile: Dennis Lillee, Gus Gilmour and Lance Gibbs each took 6 wickets for the Test. Rowe and Kallicharran both scored their runs from 267 balls.

Good one Donny. I've read Richards mention that series in his auto biography. It seems Richards was absolutely lost at the barrage of verbal volleys and the animosity at which the Aussies played against West Indies. Of course he doesn't say it wasn't in good spirits but he mentioned he was completely and utterly lost. Never had he face such competition or animosity on a cricket ground. They came back tougher the next time around I think in 78-79 and beat the Aussies but he did mention he ended up being a lot tougher after than 75 tour.

good one there donny.. nice post..greg chappel was one hell of a batsman..
When he retired he held the record for the most records in Test cricket. At time of retirement. Just quickly (may research more later): First batsman to start and end his Test career with centuries. First debutante captain to score a century in each innings. Only batsman to score a century in each innings twice. Most Test runs for Australia. Passed The Don in his last Test. Most catches in Tests. Also achieved in his farewell Test. Most runs (380) scored in a single test match. His total of 4 double centuries in test cricket was second only, behind Sir Donald Bradman, for Australia. The only Australian batsman since WW2 to have scored a century before lunch in a test match. He is the only Test captain ever to have achieved that feat ------------------------------------ Just a thought or two on that memorable last Test against Pakistan. As well as Chappell achieving such momentous milestones, Dennis Lillee took two bags of 4 wickets and ended on 355 wickets - exactly the same as the number of dismissals his W.A. team mate Rod Marsh took. It was the last Test for both of them as well.

ive been to a few games but the best one was steve waughs last test in sydney. i went to 3 days ( cant remember which 3) but i was definately there on the last one. where they carried steve around the ground and i remember the crowd reaction when tendulkar caught him in the deep on 80-odd runs, the angry fans.. haha loved every minute of that. it was his last ever shot. and also it became exciting as following that aus had a mini collapse and india had a small sniff of a series win in aus. great atmosphere, and thats my best experience.

I have been to couple of games for Seniors, Like retired Kapil, SMG, Krish, Veng etc and they won again Pak sr. and then lost to WI sr in the final. I have seen some glorious hitting by Vengsarkar. He was a great batsman when on the song. There were unofficial games played on Breborn stadium in Mumbai back in mid 90s. It was only played once or twice in those years. Anyone recollects this??? I was not lucky/rich enough to watch other games. WC tickets in 1996 for Mumbai games were sold at 10k Rs. while I was barely making abt 3K a month. It was impossible to afford such luxury. :((

now games during my stay in australia in 02-04 --- India vs Zim vb series, a nail biter @ adelaide.. we managed to win the game by just 3 runs..sanjay banger bowled the last over.. fantastic p'ship b/w carlisle and sean ervine which kept our Indian fans adrenalin pumping in the crowd till the end..
What a cracking catch that was by Laxman. I never knew he had it in him to run full-speed from the boundary, dive under a descending ball and pull off a wonder-catch. Matches i've been to; 2002; IND vs ENG ODI @ Delhi, IND lost by 2 runs thanks to some brilliant bowling by Giles and Gough (at the death) 1998; AUS vs ZIM ODI @ Delhi, i think AUS won it but it was a close game. Ponting scored a big hundred and hit lots of boundaries. I also remember Warne being hit all over the park by the Zimbabwean batsmen 1996; IND vs AUS test @ Delhi - I was there on the 1st day when IND knocked off AUS for 180 and for half the 2nd day, watching Ganguly playing some classy strokes and Mongia bringing up his 50

many in the past decade or so - strongest memories include glenn mcgrath bowling lara in the world cup 99; sidhu beating the hell out of warne in 96, or was it 97; klusener in the world cup 99; tendulkar making that salute to his dad in the wc 99 after scoring a 100 against kenya; fascinating test match days (eng vs wi 2005 and harmison vs pak 2006,old trafford); tendulkar scoring a 100 in chester-le-street in 2001,india defending 190 odd against england at lords 2005, and of course the natwest final 2002. things i have missed - never got to see jayasuriya score more than 20, never got to see lara off-drive!

many in the past decade or so - strongest memories include glenn mcgrath bowling lara in the world cup 99; sidhu beating the hell out of warne in 96, or was it 97; klusener in the world cup 99; tendulkar making that salute to his dad in the wc 99 after scoring a 100 against kenya; fascinating test match days (eng vs wi 2005 and harmison vs pak 2006,old trafford); tendulkar scoring a 100 in chester-le-street in 2001,india defending 190 odd against england at lords 2005, and of course the natwest final 2002. things i have missed - never got to see jayasuriya score more than 20, never got to see lara off-drive!
Not bad at all. I don't think many here can match that. The Natwest final I really grudge you. That was some match!
Guest dada_rocks

IN Kanpur grrenpark., match against srilanka tendulkar made an early finish and also got to see first hand how boorishly indian stadium trotting crowd actually behaves. Were hurling choicest of abuses to Sachin for no apparent reason actually it was there idea of having fun.