Random thoughts....

glogirl

actually it keeps very' date=' very warm.[/quote'] No it doesn't!!! Its meant to be a decorative/status thing IMO. At least the ones here. Maybe in Kashmir they have regular wool added to them also. Depends on the embroidery/the % of Pashmina/the kind of Pashmina/ the outlet and your negotiation skills :P Typically, a 80% Pashmina stole, 1.5 feet long and a few inches in width would cost around Rs 5000-7000 for minimal levels of embroidery work. Full length shawls are more expensive. From whatever I've read (Urdu literature), which I admit isn't much, Pashm means soft/smooth and not 'wool' or 'silk'. There was a Nyay Sharma poem called "Pashm" as a prelude in a play I watched , but I can't remember much about it. Not really sure about the origins/etymology of the word. The word for wool is 'oon'. @khaansaab, yes, the sig has a quotation by Faiz Ahmed Faiz

From whatever I've read (Urdu literature), which I admit isn't much, Pashm means soft/smooth and not 'wool' or 'silk'. There was a Nyay Sharma poem called "Pashm" as a prelude in a play I watched , but I can't remember much about it. Not really sure about the origins/etymology of the word. The word for wool is 'oon'. @khaansaab, yes, the sig has a quotation by Faiz Ahmed Faiz
Thanks for clarifying that. I bought a pashmina for my ex wife from KL airport once and it was the smoothest thing ever. From there I thought pashmina was silk or worst case satin. I always thought pashminas were supposed to be smooth material and hence the one traditional material that comes to mind immediately is silk. Wow...I just searched Wiki and this is what it sez -
Pashmina refers to a type of fine cashmere wool and the textiles made from it.[1][2] The name comes from Pashmineh (پشمینه), made from Persian pashm ("wool").[2] The wool comes from changthangi or pashmina goat, which is a special breed of goat indigenous to high altitudes of the Himalayas in Nepal, Pakistan and northern India. Pashmina shawls are hand spun, woven and embroidered in Kashmir, and made from fine cashmere fibre.
So what it is some kinda silkesque wool? Edit - OK, so in Persian wool is pashm and 'oon' is in Urdu

From whatever I've read (Urdu literature), which I admit isn't much, Pashm means soft/smooth and not 'wool' or 'silk'. There was a Nyay Sharma poem called "Pashm" as a prelude in a play I watched , but I can't remember much about it. Not really sure about the origins/etymology of the word. The word for wool is 'oon'.
I thought both "oon" and "pashm" mean wool in urdu with pashm being a farsi loan word.

I'm absolutely the worst person in the universe to run an errand at a short notice. The only people I'll drop stuff to deal with at a short notice are my immediate family and some friends. Anyone else had better make sure they give me plenty of notice, a minimum of two hours even if I am doing nothing. I hate having to do stuff at a short notice, its one of the things that annoys me the most. In fact it annoys me even more than actually running that said errand. I also hate waiting. Really aggravates me. I hardly ever get :mad:, but waiting gets me into a sullen mood, I start plotting how I'm going to inconvenience people back. :((