Ranji Trophy 2011-12: Super League

Chandan

Ranji Trophy 2011-12: Super League  

1. 1.

Jadeja's 100 leads Saurashtra to make 305 More... Jadeja's 100 leads Saurashtra to make 305 PTI | Nov 3, 2011, CUTTACK: An unbeaten century by Ravindra Jadeja catapulted Saurashtra's score to a formidable 305/5 on the opening day of their Ranji Trophy match against host Orissa at the Barabati Stadium on Thursday. Put in to bat as Orissa chose to field after winning toss, the guests put up an impressive show as Jadeja grabbed an explosive 141 runs not out. His thundering performance came with the help of as many as 17 hits to the fence in all directions and one over it off 213 balls as the batsman stuck around for 277 minutes on the first day's play. Adding punch to Saurashtra's batting was an equally valiant score by Bhushan Chauhan who grabbed 83 runs that included 15 boundaries. He faced 171 balls during 240-minute stay at the crease before being caught by Natraj Behera off pacer Basanta Mohanty. Saurashtra who were 97 for two wickets in 34 overs at lunch moved to 211 for four in 63.2 overs at tea. At the close of play they were 305 for five wickets in 90 overs. Among Orissa bowlers experienced pacer Basanta Mohanty delivered some piercing attacks capturing two wickets while conceding 50 runs, while Deepak Behera and Jayanta Behera took one wicket each. Mohanty grabbed the wicket of Saurashtra opener Chirag Pathak who was LBW without opening his account. Bhushan Chouhan's wicket also fell to Mohanty when he was caught by Natraj Behera. At stumps Jadeja was at the crease along with Pratik Mehta (21 not out) as Saurashtra looked for a big total. Brief Scores: Saurashtra - 305 for five wickets (Ravindra Jadeja 141 not out, Bhushan Chouhan 83; Basanta Mohanty 2/50).

Gony getting a lot of the wicket no other bowler even close' date= interms of pace n bounce in the match, keeper collecting his length balls chest high, hovering around 135 k, outside the off stump. Hit the body , helmet,I wonder how on earth Mithun can be played before him.
you sure talking about Gony here ? :haha:
you sure talking about Gony here ? :haha:
I am watching the game live , both days, what Gony is not doing is seaming the ball, that would make a huge difference, his spells he bowled in good areas, with pace and awkward bounce, Gony to me is a better bowler then Lakmal, and current Sri Lankan bowling easily. Sreesanth can't even keep runs down , bowl with discipline in domestic

Manoj on a high on slow and low track More.. Manoj on a high on slow and low track - Bengal captain leads the way with unbeaten 120; Sourav scores 34 A STAFF REPORTER Manoj Tiwary on way to his unbeaten 120, at the Eden, on Thursday. A Telegraph picture Calcutta: Batting on a slow and low wicket is like swimming upstream, where the effort is not always directly proportional to the result. But if you are armed with dogged resistance and oodles of patience, moving forward is just a matter of time. Manoj TiwaryÃÔ philosophy on the opening day of BengalÃÔ Ranji Trophy tie against Gujarat seemed somewhat similar. He batted and he battled and, at end of the day, he was the winner. Not many in the Bengal camp, however, could boast of similar success as the hosts reached 261 for four at the close of the first dayÃÔ play. The captainÃÔ unbeaten 120 was perfect. The 234-ball innings stood on pillars of patience and was decorated with 20 boundaries. Giving him company was Wriddhiman Saha, batting on 41 and looking good for many more. The Eden Gardens wicket, in the build-up to the match, had attracted criticism from current and former players, most of whom felt that chances of good cricket on such a strip was as good as the Indians beating US in baseball. On Thursday, the pitch certainly made life difficult for the batsmen (and the bowlers), but to say that run-making, or wicket-taking, was impossible, is necessarily a hyperbolic statement. But carelessness cost Bengal their first wicket, as early as the fourth over of the day. A horrible botch-up between Arindam Das (0) and debutant Parthasarathi Bhattacharjee (15) brought the first joy of the day for Gujarat. In an attempt to steal a single, both the batsmen ended up on the same end of the crease and Das, guilty of ball-watching and not taking the available single, was found short of the crease. ParthasarathiÃÔ was the second wicket of the day when his attempted flick off Priyank Panchal was caught by Bhavik Thaker at the short mid-wicket. That was in the 16th over and Bengal could just manage 26 hard-earned runs till that time. Realising the need for better concentration, Manoj and Arindam Ghosh (29) dropped anchor on the difficult pitch. As they began their rebuilding process, runs became a rare commodity. No doubt then that the Bengal scorecard read 72 for two after 38 overs when the players took the lunch break. That was slowness personified, even by the standards of the four-day format. But GhoshÃÔ pre-lunch determination withered away in the post-lunch session when his faulty glance off Panchal took a top edge and was caught by Salil Yadav at the mid-wicket. Amidst the disappointment of the third-wicket loss, even an empty Eden suddenly woke up to attention as Sourav Ganguly (34) walked in to partner Manoj. The two, by far the best in the Bengal batting line-up, gelled well to add 75 runs together. SouravÃÔ flamboyance, perhaps, inspired Manoj to come out of his shell. Shots were played as and when necessary and the run rate started to look healthier. But SouravÃÔ T20 mood didnÃÕ last more than 20 overs. He came out to bat in the 45th over and was dismissed in the 65th. In between, he hit seven boundaries, which included some vintage off-drives that fanned hopes of a longer innings. When he stepped out to launch Jayesh Makla out of the ground, he didnÃÕ get the timing right and was caught by Panchal. In SouravÃÔ dismissal and ManojÃÔ grit lies the secret of success in this match Ignore adventure and embrace caution. Brief scores: Bengal 261 for four in 90 overs (Manoj Tiwary 120 batting, W. Saha 41 batting) vs Gujarat.

Mandeep's 158 propels Punjab to 329/5 More... Mandeep's 158 propels Punjab to 329/5 PTI | Nov 3, 2011 MOHALI: Young middle-order batsman Mandeep Singh made an unbeaten 158 to guide Punjab to 329/5 against Uttar Pradesh in the opening day of their Group A Ranji Trophy Elite division match on Thursday. Mandeep hit 25 boundaries en route to his century-plus innings that came off 264 balls. Apart from Mandeep, Karan Goel scored 68 off 141 balls during which he struck 11 fours, while Mayank Sidhana made 37 off 57 balls. However, Punjab's start was far from rosy after out-of-favour India off-spinner Harbhajan Singh won the toss and elected to bat at the PCA stadium. Punjab lost both their openers -- Sarul Kanwar (38) and Ravi Inder Singh (5) -- inside the first 15 overs with the scoreboard reading 51. Mandeep and Goel then joined hands and stitched 167 runs for the third wicket to resurrect the Punjab innings. Left-arm pacer RP Singh turned out to be the star bowler for Uttar Pradesh with figures of four for 60, while Bhuvneshwar Kumar (1/76) scalped the other Punjab wicket. At stumps, Sandeep Sharma (5) was at the crease along with Mandeep, as Punjab are well in course for a big score, having crossed the 300-mark in 91 overs. Brief scores: Punjab: 329 for 5 in 91 overs (Mandeep Singh 158, Karan Goel 68; RP Singh 4/60).

Gritty Pawan leads the way More... Gritty Pawan leads the way Madhu Jawali Udaipur, Nov 3, DHNS KB-Pawan.jpg A resolute KB Pawan, a flamboyant Manish Pandey and a deceptively attacking Amit Verma combined to put Karnataka in a position of relative strength on ThursdayÃÔ opening day of their four-day Group â Ranji Trophy Super League clash against Rajasthan here at the Field Club Ground. Star-players-of-karnataka.jpg Put into bat first on a greenish surface, Karnataka rode on PawanÃÔ beautifully-constructed century (121 batting, 367m, 267b, 14x4, 1x6) which off-set the early loss of opener Robin Uthappa and one-drop Ganesh Satish. At close on a hot and humid day, the visitors had helped themselves to an impressive 273 for three in 87.1 overs when bad light forced an early closure. Introduction-with-Karnataka-captain-Vinay-kumar.jpg Hrishikesh KanitkarÃÔ decision to insert the opposition was perhaps as much due to his belief in his batsmenÃÔ ability to surmount a big total as to Karnataka pacemenÃÔ capacity to run through a batting line-up, especially in helpful conditions. Paceman Pankaj Singh appeared to have justified his skipperÃÔ assessment when he fired out Uthappa with the last ball of the dayÃÔ first over, the right-arm quick winning a marginal lbw verdict. A dour partnership ensued between Pawan and Ganesh who failed to build on the time spent in the middle. The right-hander faced 46 balls and batted for 84 minutes before nicking the hard-working Sumit Mathur behind the wickets, ending a painfully slow association. At 45 for two and with the disciplined home bowlers giving little away, Karnataka were in a spot of bother. They badly needed some meaningful partnership at this juncture and who better to turn the heat on the opposition than the ebullient Pandey (58, 106m, 61b, 8x4, 2x6)! The youngster began by flicking Mathur to mid-wicket off the first ball he faced and carried on in the same vein throughout his entertaining stint that drew a big applause from a sizeable home crowd. Dropped on 10 off Pankaj, the gifted right-hander shed little of his aggressive approach, hoisting the tall bowler twice over long-on fence for maximum results. Not surprisingly, he raced ahead of his cautious partner with an array of audacious but delightful strokes. ItÃÔ indeed hard for the bowlers to keep Pandey quiet but itÃÔ even harder for the batsman himself to stay calm for any length of time. With the pitch having eased up and the bowlers visibly tired, a three-figure knock was his for the taking but the rush of adrenalin put a premature end to his innings, miscuing a heave off Deepak Chahar. What Pandey did, however, took the pressure off Pawan who grew from strength to strength as the innings wore on. He was particularly impressive on the off-side and occasionally employed the pull shot and took the aerial route. While his first 50 came off 144 balls, the Mysore boy consumed just another 86 balls to complete his fifth first-class century. Barring a top-edged four mid-way through his innings, there wasnÃÕ a single moment in the day when he put a foot wrong. Never did he have lapse in concentration and his determination to grind it out in the middle paid desired results. In overcast conditions early in the day, the hosts new-ball bowlers swung the ball both ways and PawanÃÔ strategy to bide his time was right on the money. VermaÃÔ (59, 178m, 138b, 9x4, 1x6) contribution in strengthening KarnatakaÃÔ position was no less significant. The left-hander, the highest run-getter for the State the previous season, took little time to get into the groove and forged a busy partnership for the unbeaten third-wicket which has yielded a handsome 140 runs so far. But the duo knows itÃÔ only a job half done. Brief Scores: Karnataka 273 for three in 87.1 overs (K.B. Pawan 121 batting, Manish Pandey 58, Amit Verma 59 batting) vs Rajasthan. More.. øant to continue the good work Udaipur, Nov 3, DHNS Among the more flamboyant batsmen like Robin Uthappa and Manish Pandey, someone like KB Pawan will always struggle to attract as much attention but their importance to the side canÃÕ be undervalued. As an overcast morning gave way to a hot and humid afternoon, Pawan turned the tables around Rajasthan with a timely unbeaten century (121) that neutralised the early loss of Uthappa and Ganesh Satish for an insignificant total. The right-handerÃÔ fifth first-class ton couldnÃÕ have come at a more opportune time both from teamÃÔ and personal point of view. At 45 for two, Karnataka, after being asked to bat first, werenÃÕ exactly staring at the barrel but the situation warranted someone to put his hand up and be counted. Ū really worked hard for this innings and gave everything I needed to, noted Pawan after what was a satisfying day for him in the office. ŵhe ball was swinging both ways in the morning and our plan was to wait for the sun to come out so that the pitch eases out a bit. Once that happened, it wasnÃÕ difficult to score runs, he remarked. Having endured a rather forgettable season the previous time, the 23-year-old said he was determined to set things right. źes, it was a very disappointing season for me the last time around. I didnÃÕ score a single century and I am really happy that I have begun this season with a ton. Right now I am not thinking of anything, I just want to continue the good work. Pawan also credited Manish Pandey for taking the pressure off him with a quickfire innings. ŵhe runs were hard to come by early in the day and the knock he played then was really wonderful. Yes, it did take the pressure off me to a great extent and helped me get a look in, he pointed out. The Mysorean revealed he made slight change to his stance during off-season. Ū canÃÕ say it (the changed stance) had really worked because itÃÔ just one innings. LetÃÔ see how the season goes. But I also worked a on the mental side of my game and hopefully thatÃÔ working for me.

I am watching the game live ' date=' both days, what Dhoni is not doing is seaming the ball, that would make a huge difference, his spells he bowled in good areas, with pace and awkward bounce, Gony to me is a better bowler then Lakmal, and current Sri Lankan bowling easily. Sreesanth can't even keep runs down , bowl with discipline in domestic[/quote'] Agree Gony looked real handful today with his bounce.Should have had Srivatsava if not for the drop. But dont think his bounce will cause much trouble to the batsmen with his pace.If he can even increase his pace consistently to late 130s then sure he is worth a chance but at this pace they will handle him easily i think.
Agree Gony looked real handful today with his bounce.Should have had Srivatsava if not for the drop. But dont think his bounce will cause much trouble to the batsmen with his pace.If he can even increase his pace consistently to late 130s then sure he is worth a chance but at this pace they will handle him easily i think.
I am not concerned about his pace that much , as we all have seen 135 k in domestic game means 140 or so in international games where players put in a bit more, if Gony shows that he can move the ball he is a prospect, we have seen him bowl 140 k's to max 145 k's in IPL and in ODI'S he played for India.Strongest built Indian bowler, strong high arm action, about 6 4",good domestic performance last year, also has experience,just needs an extra string to his bow , to be a serious prospect at international level ,def better then Umadkat, VK, Mithun at present.