Breaking Bad (Highly Recommended)

Rajiv

Sopranos was great but I hated the ending so it doesn't measure up to BB or The Wire.
One can't discredit an entire show just because the ending was not up to par. Sopranos set up the standards pretty high.
Haven't watched Boardwalk Empire , so can't comment.
Well watch it. What are you waiting for?
Look, You can poke holes in every tv show IMO, except BB.
I can poke a dozen holes in BB. No show is perfect. If BB was on HBO, it could have been even better imo.

:orderorder: There are other shows which are also excellent: 1. Sopranos. 2. Dexter (First season is very good). 3. Shield (comparable to The Wire, but fast paced and thrilling) 4. Boardwalk Empire. This has top notch production and story telling. It is a bit slow, but it just grows on you like fine wine. 5. Prison Break (First Season). I keep on hearing good stuff about Games of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy...
Tried watching a couple of episodes...just didn't get into it...

Watched S05 8 episodes in one go. That's the way to watch. No point in sitting through commercials and week after week wondering what will happen next. I still feel S04 was the best season. Gustuv/Gus took the story to a totally new level. Such a chilling char, best portrayed on TV, I would say. Kind of disappointed about S05. The cook again is not very convincing, but with out the meth, there is no story to build. So, it had to be reintroduced again somehow. They could have given Walt a more compelling reason to get back to meth (like Mike/Drug cartel forcing him or something like that) , The tension between Walt and Mike, Walt and Skyler is good, but nothing beats Walt and Gus in S03/S04. Still a very good show compared to the usual fare on TV. Next

Hank v/s Walt

Bringing the thread back to the OP. Here's some review on the mini-finale. Some questions answered. http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/tv_club/features/2012/breaking_bad_season_5_/week_8/breaking_bad_season_5_mini_finale_the_tv_club_wraps_up_.html

Matt Zoller Steitz keeps calling Breaking Bad one of the most moral shows on television, “in which characters inevitably reap what they sow.” Hank’s role in the morality tale is to make Walt pay. It has to be that simple—it’s how they get there that will be marvelously complicated. I think you’re right, June, that Walt is halfway hankering for the recognition that a DEA investigation would bring. I don’t think he wants to get caught, but wouldn’t the ultimate high for him be to see fear and respect in Hank’s eyes right before his brother-in-law is eliminated as a threat—i.e., offed? That would take the sting out of the memory of all the sobbing and sniffling Walt had to do for Hank along the way. You guys have used up my favorite lines this week. So I’ll close with the Walt Whitman stanza from which the title of this episode is taken. Gliding o'er all, through all, Through Nature, Time, and Space, As a ship on the waters advancing, The voyage of the soul—not life alone, Death, many deaths I'll sing. Breaking Bad has already sung of many deaths. These lines signal that we can look forward—with a true fan’s mix of dread and anticipation—to plenty more when we reconvene next summer.
Chilling.