Incredible Bihar

Khalpat

Lake ko Talaab bhi kehte hain. This is Jumma Talaab from Nagpur. 3674650774_0a07566fd9.jpg Is this a pond? Is this a small piece of water body?
nahin !! aisa nahin hota hai .log phir galaat kehte hain. Dal Lake is called Dal Jheel in Hindi ,its not called Dal Talaab :cantstop:

nahin !! aisa nahin hota hai .log phir galaat kehte hain. Dal Lake is called Dal Jheel in Hindi ,its not called Dal Talaab :cantstop:
Sahi hai. bas apbhransh hai... Tal-Pond/lake talaiya- small pond/pond So i take my words back

Sahi hai. bas apbhransh hai... Tal-Pond/lake talaiya- small pond/pond So i take my words back
Interesting. :hatsoff: I did a little research on the word 'Talaab' The Urdu dictionary says that the word is formed by mixing two words : The Hindi word Tal and the Persian word Aab (meaning water). It means both lake and pond. Doesn't specify any size. In the medieval ages, even seas were called Talaab. :confused: The Hindi Shabdkosh says that Talaab means both lake and pond. http://dict.hinkhoj.com/words/meaning-of-%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B2%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%AC-in-english.html Mishraji, you've introduced the concept of apbhransh. But you haven't explained what talaab is an apbhransh of. From my understanding, the word 'aspataal' in Hindi is the apbhransh of the English word 'hospital'. Is this right? Is distortion/corruption the same as apbhransh? IMO, the Marathi word 'Talao' is the apbhransh of the Hindi word 'Talaab'. In fact, I think when it comes to water bodies we Indians are a confused lot. :P Lot of Hindi/Urdu speaking Muslims use the word 'sagar' even when referring to rivers. Narmada Sagar refers to the river Narmada and its delta. Gujjus say 'dariya' for sea. Where as those of us who speak Hindi/Urdu understand dariya to mean a river or a wide stream.

Interesting. :hatsoff: I did a little research on the word 'Talaab' The Urdu dictionary says that the word is formed by mixing two words : The Hindi word Tal and the Persian :nono:People are Persian, the language is Farsi word Aab (meaning water). It means both lake and pond. Doesn't specify any size. In the medieval ages, even seas were called Talaab. :confused: The Hindi Shabdkosh says that Talaab means both lake and pond. http://dict.hinkhoj.com/words/meaning-of-%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B2%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%AC-in-english.html Mishraji, you've introduced the concept of apbhransh. But you haven't explained what talaab is an apbhransh of. From my understanding, the word 'aspataal' in Hindi is the apbhransh of the English word 'hospital'. Is this right? Is distortion/corruption the same as apbhransh? IMO, the Marathi word 'Talao' is the apbhransh of the Hindi word 'Talaab'. In fact, I think when it comes to water bodies we Indians are a confused lot. :P Lot of Hindi/Urdu speaking Muslims use the word 'sagar' even when referring to rivers. Narmada Sagar refers to the river Narmada and its delta. Gujjus say 'dariya' for sea. Where as those of us who speak Hindi/Urdu understand dariya to mean a river or a wide stream.
Darya is also the word for sea in Farsi.

Interesting. :hatsoff: I did a little research on the word 'Talaab' The Urdu dictionary says that the word is formed by mixing two words : The Hindi word Tal and the Persian word Aab (meaning water). It means both lake and pond. Doesn't specify any size. In the medieval ages, even seas were called Talaab. :confused: The Hindi Shabdkosh says that Talaab means both lake and pond. http://dict.hinkhoj.com/words/meaning-of-%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B2%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%AC-in-english.html Mishraji, you've introduced the concept of apbhransh. But you haven't explained what talaab is an apbhransh of. From my understanding, the word 'aspataal' in Hindi is the apbhransh of the English word 'hospital'. Is this right? Is distortion/corruption the same as apbhransh? IMO, the Marathi word 'Talao' is the apbhransh of the Hindi word 'Talaab'. In fact, I think when it comes to water bodies we Indians are a confused lot. :P Lot of Hindi/Urdu speaking Muslims use the word 'sagar' even when referring to rivers. Narmada Sagar refers to the river Narmada and its delta. Gujjus say 'dariya' for sea. Where as those of us who speak Hindi/Urdu understand dariya to mean a river or a wide stream.
in india same word has different differnt meaning in differet different langauge.

I agree I wasnt aware that taal can also mean lake. Term aspatal to refer Hospital cant be classified as apbhransh as the two languages are noway related. Its more like borrowed term i guess. But thank for detailed info..

I agree I wasnt aware that taal can also mean lake. Term aspatal to refer Hospital cant be classified as apbhransh as the two languages are noway related. Its more like borrowed term i guess. But thank for detailed info..
You werent? Look up Mukesh's song from yesteryears "O re taal mile nadi ke jal mein"