The Official Rajasthan Royals fans club.

Sir john

its not just this game RR tactics for the past 4-5 games were odd. Really odd. Questions need to be raised of Dravid and Watson to be honest....
Today, their tactics were fine. Watson as a opener was to start aggressively and overall, the batting changes turned out good. A very healhty total they made in the 1st innings. But Watson failed as a captain, showed a lack of ideas and easily crumbled under pressure. He is not good enough to be a captain.

Today, their tactics were fine. Watson as a opener was to start aggressively and overall, the batting changes turned out good. A very healhty total they made in the 1st innings. But Watson failed as a captain, showed a lack of ideas and easily crumbled under pressure. He is not good enough to be a captain.
Well its not just this game. I think games in the past they even dropped Tambe their number 1 wicket taking player. What happened was they went on a slide and lost momuntum at the wrong time

RR IMO need to retain this group of players. However they need to change their tactics. Stick to a core set of players. You cant fudge around with several different opening batsman.
Of course, no need to make any radical changes. The RR squad is very good actually. But the unity and ability to handle pressure was missing this year from RR. That was always RR biggest strength but led by Watson, it become the biggest weakness. And opening batsman was either the reason RR lost to playoffs spot.

Of course, no need to make any radical changes. The RR squad is very good actually. But the unity and ability to handle pressure was missing this year from RR. That was always RR biggest strength but led by Watson, it become the biggest weakness. And opening batsman was either the reason RR lost to playoffs spot.
I just feel RR made too many changes. Rotation if fine but it was just too many changes which did not make any sense.

Well its not just this game. I think games in the past they even dropped Tambe their number 1 wicket taking player. What happened was they went on a slide and lost momuntum at the wrong time
True, that's why I said earlier, RR were actually oversmart instead of smart in their strategy. However, it's not sensible to make one player or event as key reason for the failure. RR deserved to not be in the playoffs. No question about that. See the victories we had, 2 against KKR- they deserved to lose both 1 against RCB- Lucky day for Faulker/Smith which saved them So it's only 4 good match performances they had the 14 matches season. If you exclude pathetic DD, it's only two. Poor output

I just feel RR made too many changes. Rotation if fine but it was just too many changes which did not make any sense.
To be fair, the changes weren't bad at all. Ankit Sharma looked good whenever he got the change to play. So did Rahul Tewatia. It was inconsistency and the inability to handle pressure which caused the trouble. Too many runs conceded at death overs whereas too many wickets fall in quick succession. DD & RR actually had similar campaigns if I have to think closely.

True, that's why I said earlier, RR were actually oversmart instead of smart in their strategy. However, it's not sensible to make one player or event as key reason for the failure. RR deserved to not be in the playoffs. No question about that. See the victories we had, 2 against KKR- they deserved to lose both 1 against RCB- Lucky day for Faulker/Smith which saved them So it's only 4 good match performances they had the 14 matches season. If you exclude pathetic DD, it's only two. Poor output
fair points. Would you appoint Smith as captain?

fair points. Would you appoint Smith as captain?
Smith certainly would make more sense than Watson as he does make some proper experience in captaincy and looks more assured. Imo, RR doesn't have many options. Only 2 options, Rahane & Smith other than Watson for captaincy. Hodge doesn't make any sense due to his age + role. Watson certainly deserved to be captain this season as he has played for RR for all seasons. But as shown by results, he doesn't look well suited to his role. Worsen his batting & bowling as well. So Rahane or Smith is the only option left if not Watson. Rahane being Indian would just give him the edge.