'I learned to retain my self-belief' - Ajinkya Rahane

Texan

Fair enough but guys like Pujara' date=' Rahane and Rohit do have the talent and look quality when you watch them. For them it's just a matter of adjusting to intl cricket and I guess we need to give them some time and back them.[/quote'] This, they have the talent. If Raina got 10 Tests so should these guys. Kohli played poor in West Indies but he isn't a bad player overseas he was just new to tests.
A senior player should have toured with the A team as a staff member' date= someone like Dravid...who has good record in Windies....! All that Rahane lacks is experience. He should be picked for the home game against NZ' for the Test series.
A very good point. BCCI should rope in seniors like Dravid, Kumble and other past cricketers to accompany A teams either as assistant coaches or mentors. This way they can pass on their knowledge to the upcoming players and we can make better use of their expertise.
This' date=' they have the talent. If Raina got 10 Tests so should these guys. Kohli played poor in West Indies but he isn't a bad player overseas he was just new to tests.[/quote'] The problem is that many of these guys are not in their sweet teens, they are closer to 25. There is not much time for most of them to prove themselves or they may make their debut only at the age of 27, which does not augur well for India.
The problem is that many of these guys are not in their sweet teens' date=' they are closer to 25. There is not much time for most of them to prove themselves or they may make their debut only at the age of 27, which does not augur well for India.[/quote'] I don't think so. Most of the international cricketers debut around the early to mid 20's. All that we want is a solid middle order for 3-4 years atleast, so that this transition can happen smoothly. We still have not found a proper replacement for Ganguly so we ARE in diar need of a few good replacements.
The problem is that many of these guys are not in their sweet teens' date=' they are closer to 25. There is not much time for most of them to prove themselves or they may make their debut only at the age of 27, which does not augur well for India.[/quote'] No matter what the age, players will need some time to adjust to higher level of cricket. It's not players' fault that they didn't get a break earlier. It's unrealistic to expect FC players to perform straight away at intl level without any time to adjust just because they are "older".
I don't think so. Most of the international cricketers debut around the early to mid 20's. All that we want is a solid middle order for 3-4 years atleast, so that this transition can happen smoothly. We still have not found a proper replacement for Ganguly so we ARE in diar need of a few good replacements.
Kohli is Ganguly's replacement.

Still cherish Dravid's tight hug More than 400 days have elapsed since Ajinkya Rahane earned the right to print the words ênternational Cricketer on his calling card. It was a reward for his prolific run on the domestic circuit. RahaneÃÔ grand returns in the Indian Premier League this year (560 runs and fourth leading run-getter) commanded plenty of attention too. Although the 24-year-old hasnÃÕ always found himself in the Indian XI, his reputation as one of the countryÃÔ brightest talents has never been in doubt. Following a steady start to the season, the Mumbai batsman is determined to maximise his potential. He speaks about dealing with omissions, comparisons with Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara, playing orthodox strokes in T20 cricket, and his admiration for Rahul Dravid,

TH14_RAHANE_1236817e.jpg

At a time when your career was progressing reasonably well, how disappointing was it to be omitted for the tri-series in Australia and the Asia Cup? There are always ups and downs in a professional sportsmanÃÔ career. It depends on how you deal with it. I look at it as a challenge. My family has always taught me to remain balanced. If you respect the game, it gives you respect in return. On the other hand, does being in the squad and not getting a game affect your performance? Selection is not in my hands. During the Australia tour (where he was part of the Test squad) and when the West Indies came to India, the focus was to learn as much as I could from seniors like Sachin (Tendulkar) paaji, Rahul (Dravid) bhai who are my role models and (V.V.S.) Laxman bhai. The process of learning never stops. When you watch your peers such as Kohli and Pujara establishing themselves in the Indian team, does it make you feel insecure? Firstly, I am very happy for both of them. They are very good cricketers and have made fine contributions to the Indian team. I can only control my performance and that will take me forward. I need to compete only with myself. How much has your approach to cricket changed over the years? Each game is a learning process. I make small adjustments based on the situation. But my natural game hasnÃÕ changed. Memories of your debut series in England? Frankly, I was very nervous during my debut. Sachin paaji asked me to enjoy myself and think that everyone was supporting me. The 91 against England in Mohali later that year was satisfying. For someone in the classical mould, was there a sense of irony in how you shot to fame with the IPL? Did you have to change your batting style to adapt to the T20 format? I think I got due recognition even when I wasnÃÕ playing the IPL. Obviously, I have benefited from domestic cricket as well as the IPL. Before the beginning of IPL-V, I discussed my batting with Rahul bhai. He asked me not to change my game. I also realised that Sachin paaji and Rahul bhai were successful in this format by playing proper cricket strokes. So I never thought about extravagant strokes and only concentrated on minor improvisation. There was purposeful practice for about two months before the IPL and, thankfully, the results were good. Rajasthan Royals and Rahul Dravid. Rajasthan Royals has a good mix of senior players and youngsters. This year Rahul bhai ensured there was a healthy environment in the dressing room. For me, the century I scored against Royal Challengers in Bangalore was special. As soon as I went back to the dressing room, Rahul bhai gave me a tight hug and said, Ū am very proud of you. You will definitely go on to do well. HeÃÔ someone whom I have looked up to all my life and to receive such a compliment from him was very pleasing. Shane Watson was very supportive too. The goals you have set for yourself. I hope to improve my game and take it match by match. I canÃÕ put a number on the runs that I want to score. Most importantly, I need to enjoy my game.
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/still-cherish-dravids-tight-hug-rahane/article3994999.ece

My job is to score runs and bat long: Rahane Ajinkya Rahane has been on the fringes of the Indian team – in all formats – for a while now, but hasn’t been able to make the cut yet. A half-century against England for India A has come as a confidence-booster, but now it’s over to the Ranji Trophy, where more runs must be scored to keep the national selectors interested. More... My job is to score runs and bat long: Rahane Shamya Dasgupta · Mumbai · Nov 2, 2012 · 'If you want to play at the highest level, you should be able to bat anywhere in the batting order'. Ajinkya Rahane has been on the fringes of the Indian team – in all formats – for a while now, but hasn’t been able to make the cut yet. A half-century against England for India A has come as a confidence-booster, but now it’s over to the Ranji Trophy, where more runs must be scored to keep the national selectors interested. Wisden India caught up with Rahane to figure out what his thoughts are ahead of a crucial season. Excerpts: There has been so much talk about your batting position – what was the plan behind batting at No. 3 in the India A match? I really don’t mind batting anywhere. I have said this before too, I am happy to bat wherever the team management, whichever team, wants me to bat. My job is to score runs and bat for long periods. That’s all I can do and that’s what I focus on. The hot debate right now is around the No. 6 position in the Indian Test team. I know you’re a top-order batsman, but would you put your hand up for the No. 6 spot too, hypothetically speaking? If you’re a good enough player and if you want to play at the highest level, you should be able to bat anywhere in the batting order. Whatever number you bat at, you have to adjust to the conditions and adapt. So if a team includes me and wants me to bat somewhere, I will. It’s quite a crazy situation right now, isn’t it, where you have just played a three-day game and without a day off, you’ll play a four-day Ranji Trophy game. That must require a lot of mental adjustment. That really depends on each individual. As far as I am concerned, being with the Indian team, then the India A team, then the Mumbai team and so on is not a problem because I try to stay calm at all times. I try to concentrate and not lose my focus, which is to keep scoring runs. It’s good that I got 54 against England because I play the first Ranji Trophy match without a day’s break and it’s important for me to score runs there too. It’s tough on the body, but we play cricket because we enjoy playing cricket. Cricket is my passion, so I shouldn’t have a problem playing more and more matches. You might go up against the English bowlers again over the next couple of months if the selectors pick you. What is your opinion from what you saw of their bowlers? Oh, they are a very experienced Test side and their bowling attack is of a very high quality. They did bowl in the right areas in both innings. The pace bowlers also varied their pace quite a bit. In our second innings, the pitch had started to turn. Samit Patel bowled well, and Graeme Swann, he is a world-class bowler and he bowled very decently. In the first innings, I got a good ball to get out. It didn’t bounce too much actually, but it rose sharply. I should have handled it but these things happen. As long as I keep learning from my mistakes, it’s fine. Apart from Swann and Patel, they also have Monty Panesar, whom you have played before. What’s your assessment of the threat he possesses? I played against Panesar when he came as part of England Lions to play the Duleep Trophy (in 2008). He is a very experienced bowler and we know what he can do, but as we all know, Indian batsmen play spin very well, so we are quite confident about facing their spinners. It must be exciting for all you Mumbai boys that the next few days will be spent with Sachin Tendulkar in the Ranji Trophy team? Oh yes, it is exciting. I talk to him all the time. Whenever I get an opportunity, I go up to him and have a chat. Obviously, he is very helpful as everyone will tell you. It’s a big high for us to have him in the team at the beginning of the Ranji season. Mumbai are giants of the Ranji Trophy, but the going has been a bit rough of late. Why is that so? That happens in cricket. Other teams have become stronger, they have better players than before, they are bringing in professionals from elsewhere and they are working much harder. We need to play to our strengths and be positive and hope to go far in the tournament.

Really admire Rahane. Hasn't lost form for 4 years. Thing with his low scores against England and FC matches overseas was that he doesn't have the ability of someone like a Mandeep. But really admire his commitment and dedication, he will always be in form when facing opponents which are at his level like the Railways :hatsoff:

:facepalm: Low scores? 60s in Debut and 91. Mandeep would have struggled for those.
LOI performences don't select Test teams and his ODI average is pretty low anyway. Mandeep won't have struggled that bad. lol if you check Rahane's last 5 4day matches overseas his average is 8.something with a highest score of 33 in 9 innings. :hysterical: Failed against real fast bowlers like Sharma in Duleep Trophy recently. :hysterical: Failed against England in Practice game (2 innings 57 runs) :hysterical: Rahane not even once. But I admire him, against opponents his level like Railways he has maintained form for 3-4 years now. Just doesn't have the ability for the higher level, he is no Mandeep. /thread