Speed and Performance of Indian Fast bowlers in IPL

vishalvirsingh

I can't understand why ppl are so carried away regarding Umesh and Aaron. Every country has 2 bowlers better than these two, and these two are no more than promising youngsters - nothing more and nothing less. What's worrisome is that Umesh is looking more like Mohd Sami than a promising pacer in shorter formats. The guy doesn't seem to have any brains and bowls without any plan. He simply runs up and down and bowls in 140s and most of his deliveries are either short and wide or half volleys down the leg side. I have hardly seen him bowl more than 3 deliveries in an over on a good line & length. He bowls decently rarely and everyone on ICF had orgasms when that happens just like Paki fans used to with Sami and likes of Mohd Irfan etc. If I were Umesh's coach I would ask him to get his line & length right before anything else. Consistently going for runs by bowling trash is not of any use.

I can't understand why ppl are so carried away regarding Umesh and Aaron. Every country has 2 bowlers better than these two, and these two are no more than promising youngsters - nothing more and nothing less. What's worrisome is that Umesh is looking more like Mohd Sami than a promising pacer in shorter formats. The guy doesn't seem to have any brains and bowls without any plan. He simply runs up and down and bowls in 140s and most of his deliveries are either short and wide or half volleys down the leg side. I have hardly seen him bowl more than 3 deliveries in an over on a good line & length. He bowls decently rarely and everyone on ICF had orgasms when that happens just like Paki fans used to with Sami and likes of Mohd Irfan etc. If I were Umesh's coach I would ask him to get his line & length right before anything else. Consistently going for runs by bowling trash is not of any use.
I think Yadav has bowled very well this season apart from a game or two. I will take his economy rate of 7.5 any day if he does that in T20 WC and has taken wickets as well. I think he has improved a lot since the last 2 IPLs. I think he has not been thrashed like Lee was thrashed yesterday and Steyn is thrashed several times. He is an aggressive bowler and these pitches are graveyard for fast bowlers. He defended 11 runs in last over against RR against much better batsmen beating batsmen for pace, while against same RR against inferior batsman in Dishant Yagnik, Steyn could not do that, now it wont make Steyn a bad bowler, but this is the nature of T20. Morkel was thrashed for 50 runs against PWi while Yadav was their best pacer in that match. He is an aggressive bowler and that is why he bowls short and he gets wickets as well with his short deliveries, but I would like him to bowl more yorkers like he was trying to do yesterday. His fuller length balls have not been easy to hit, but then he cant be predictable in line and length. It is T20, he will be thrashed if predictable that is why he needs to vary his lengths. Moreover, they both are just starting out and are improving as they are playing more. No one is saying they are greats, but they are two promising pace bowlers, not more than that yet and that is why people need to be patient before criticizing them or writing them off. Regarding Sami, Sami has a very good ODI record. He was flop in tests, but not in ODIs. Yadav will be opposite.

unable to defend 114 on 160 wicket, against defending champions in their home ground. yup varun and umesh are complete utter failure. dale stayen has defended a target twice in this ipl (against RCB and RR) , hilfenhaus did it once (MI) . so why cant these two buffoons do it they are as experienced as dale styen and hilfenhaus. right?!!

unable to defend 114 on 160 wicket' date=' against defending champions in their home ground. yup varun and umesh are complete utter failure. dale stayen has defended a target twice in this ipl (against RCB and RR) , hilfenhaus did it once (MI) . so why cant these two buffoons do it they are as experienced as dale styen and hilfenhaus. right?!![/quote'] :hatsoff: to Dale Steyn and Hilfenhaus.

:rofl: varun is better death bowler then hilfy :hehe:
Even Yadav. Yadav didnt let score RR 12 in last over against a set batsman, while Styen and Hilfy gave away more than that against unknown and new batsmen.:giggle::winky:

Even Yadav. Yadav didnt let score RR 12 in last over against a set batsman' date=' while Styen and Hilfy gave away more than that against unknown and new batsmen.:giggle::winky:[/quote'] :nono: i was serious this guy actually beat hussey with a slower one and bowled many quick yorkers (in odi game with even a hint of reverse he would ve been lethal) hilfy is gr8 test bowler now but tbh very bad death bowler do u remember how sri lankan tailenders hammered him ? :haha:

Not true. Umesh has been bowling well in the last few games, in between he's gone for runs. 12 matches, 11 wickets, ER of 7.5..not as bad one would imagine, a few more wickets would have been better. Aaron has bowled better than all our pacers this IPL since his comeback. For all the trash talk, these two still remain our brightest bowling hopes. They are not Wasim or Waqar, but still the best in the country right now. Not sure about you, but I would anyday take a 140+ bowler spraying it around and getting hit than a 125+ bowler going for same amount for runs bowling line and length. The former will have better chances of picking wickets.

Not true. Umesh has been bowling well in the last few games, in between he's gone for runs. 12 matches, 11 wickets, ER of 7.5..not as bad one would imagine, a few more wickets would have been better. Aaron has bowled better than all our pacers this IPL since his comeback. For all the trash talk, these two still remain our brightest bowling hopes. They are not Wasim or Waqar, but still the best in the country right now. Not sure about you, but I would anyday take a 140+ bowler spraying it around and getting hit than a 125+ bowler going for same amount for runs bowling line and length. The former will have better chances of picking wickets.
Spot on.:hatsoff:

good points these people are criticizing these guys like they bowled badly then our normal tundlers they are still performing much better then out 125 tundler brigade :--D and varun has actually bowled well and i have a feeling tht his best is yet to come i mean rhythm wise he is still not giving his all

Yadav is strong and fit. Not really sure about Aaron. I really hope that he has no further recurrance of his back problem. At least as of now he hasn't gone the Munaf way. Why is that so many Indian fast bowlers (and trudlers) are struggling with injuries?

Yadav is strong and fit. Not really sure about Aaron. I really hope that he has no further recurrance of his back problem. At least as of now he hasn't gone the Munaf way. Why is that so many Indian fast bowlers (and trudlers) are struggling with injuries?
aaron is 22 these stress fractures happen at young age in 2 years time he will be strong like yadav :D btw how do u rate his bowling ? for this format is he much better then yadav imo

Most genuine pacers at young age struggle with injuries, nothing new. Brett Lee had back rupture at 22. Johnson had 4 stress fracture in back by 22. Yadav too had a stress fracture in 2009. Pattinson and Cummins has also struggled with back injuries. Aaron is looking stronger and much fitter and slimmer now that what he was before.

aaron is 22 these stress fractures happen at young age in 2 years time he will be strong like yadav :D btw how do u rate his bowling ? for this format is he much better then yadav imo
I really cannot be objective becos I am a blind admirer of this guy's bowling. In fact, it was a thread on him that inspired me to join ICF. :dance:

I really cannot be objective becos I am a blind admirer of this guy's bowling. In fact' date=' it was a thread on him that inspired me to join ICF. :dance:[/quote'] lmao we are same :hysterical: i alwaays rated this guy better then yadav before then yadav improved a lot and he got injured :P but now he is def bowling better then him in t20's :dance::dance:

If anything, Yadav is more of a test bowler, he can be a bit wayward but is capable of bowling brilliant wicket taking deliveries. People are getting excited about these two because they are both very promising. Umesh is an excellent test prospect and from what i have seen of Aaron, he is an excellent limited overs prospect. Too many Indian bowlers have been asked to concentrate on line and length in the past. I want Umesh to bowl fast and worry about accuracy later. He is a genuine wicket taker and potential match-winner for India in tests.

If anything, Yadav is more of a test bowler, he can be a bit wayward but is capable of bowling brilliant wicket taking deliveries. People are getting excited about these two because they are both very promising. Umesh is an excellent test prospect and from what i have seen of Aaron, he is an excellent limited overs prospect. Too many Indian bowlers have been asked to concentrate on line and length in the past. I want Umesh to bowl fast and worry about accuracy later. He is a genuine wicket taker and potential match-winner for India in tests.
It's a delusion that speed is everything in Tests. For a bowler to be successful in Tests he needs to put pressure on the batsmen by bowling good line & length and not give batsman any freebie. This pressure results in wkts. Look at the way Aussie or Eng bowlers bowled against us recently. It wasn't the speed which undid us but lack of any freebies. With nothing on offer our batsmen didn't know what to do and perished. With Umesh, he may get wkts with occasional wkt taking deliveries but on the whole he won't be successful unless he learns to bowl line & length. Everytime you see him bowl he mixes up an occasional good delivery with short & wide stuff or deliveries down the leg and then cr@p slow balls which are not even needed at the time. Speed is useful no doubt but the pre-requisite to fast bowling is line & length.

@UG But all aussies were bowling 140plus, so pace does work. Do you think if they had bowled at 125-130k, they would have had such menacing impact. I am sure not. I agree with you consistency is the key to success, but consistency at pace is what makes a bowler dangerous because not everyone can be Mcgrath and Mcgrath too was fast medium in 90s. Fast bowlers are bound to be inconsistent, but I would take an inconsistent genuine quick but strike bowler over so called consistent bowler because we dont have any, all we have are pretenders like Munaf, VK, PK etc. Who neither have pace nor consistency.

It's a delusion that speed is everything in Tests. For a bowler to be successful in Tests he needs to put pressure on the batsmen by bowling good line & length and not give batsman any freebie. This pressure results in wkts. Look at the way Aussie or Eng bowlers bowled against us recently. It wasn't the speed which undid us but lack of any freebies. With nothing on offer our batsmen didn't know what to do and perished. With Umesh' date=' he may get wkts with occasional wkt taking deliveries but on the whole he won't be successful unless he learns to bowl line & length. Everytime you see him bowl he mixes up an occasional good delivery with short & wide stuff or deliveries down the leg and then cr@p slow balls which are not even needed at the time. Speed is useful no doubt but the pre-requisite to fast bowling is line & length.[/quote'] Vinay bowled with great accuracy which is his strength, in Perth. Yadav with his inconsistency and minimum control was taking much more wickets.