India 'A' to tour New Zealand in September 2012

Unmukt has been consistent in this tour on tough conditions :hatsoff:
Consistent? Just two 20s and a score in 40s. Is this what you want? Rayudu did much better when he was under tremendous pressure as all the batsmen had departed, only bowlers left as partners and rising asking rates. Twice he took the team to the finishing line. Apart from him everyone was inconsistent, Skipper Mukund tried better and he and Unmukt at least gave a good start, even if that was slow. Everyone else failed in batting apart from that one knock of Ojha in the 2nd ODI.
I have expectations, yes. I was disappointed when Vinay Kumar was chosen for this tour and he hasn't done anything to prove me wrong. Same is for Menaria and SKY but then I'm struggling to find two able replacements for them in batting department. Anyone has suggestions?
Bist is the obvious one, but he was injured after WI tour apparently and was not fit for here... Rahane and Pujara could have toured and played the first class matches at least, good overseas tour experience..better than playing JamODIs or rubbish Rajasthan trundlers on Indian pattas...in fact they could both have opened in WI to see how they cope, Pujara especially...then opened at home tests vs NZ (with GG at 3 and VS at 5) then vs NZ A away now...see if they have a future as a long term opening duo
Bist is the obvious one, but he was injured after WI tour apparently and was not fit for here... Rahane and Pujara could have toured and played the first class matches at least, good overseas tour experience..better than playing JamODIs or rubbish Rajasthan trundlers on Indian pattas...in fact they could both have opened in WI to see how they cope, Pujara especially...then opened at home tests vs NZ (with GG at 3 and VS at 5) then vs NZ A away now...see if they have a future as a long term opening duo
Pujara has NEVER opened in his career. So just can't understand how and why he should have opened. He has settled as a #3 batsman though has a number of chinks to iron out if he has to excel against quality opposition and in tougher conditions. Rahane just has to concentrate on the opening slot and with 8 tests coming up, if he is in form, he might stake a claim if GG and Sehwag remain in such abysmal form. So I wonder how any of these two could have gone to NZ and played Irani trophy as well! That is just not possible!

Should have won this series if it weren't for the ****-up from the umpires in last match. Rayudu was the most impressive looked very comfortable in the first two games in tricky conditions. Don't know what to make of bowlers, but all the quicks did well in helpful conditions. Unadkat looked quick and seems to have put on some muscle:giggle:. Rahul Sharma continues to disappoint with the ball. Suryakumar Yadav was big let down for me with his brain fart batting. He was equally horrible in the four day Safi Darashah Cup in August.

Should have won this series if it weren't for the ****-up from the umpires in last match. Rayudu was the most impressive looked very comfortable in the first two games in tricky conditions. Don't know what to make of bowlers, but all the quicks did well in helpful conditions. Unadkat looked quick and seems to have put on some muscle:giggle:. Rahul Sharma continues to disappoint with the ball. Suryakumar Yadav was big let down for me with his brain fart batting. He was equally horrible in the four day Safi Darashah Cup in August.

New Zealand A level series 23/09/2012 New Zealand A have completed a convincing 65 run win over India A in the third and final One-Day match at Bert Sutcliffe Oval in Lincoln. The victory means the series is drawn one-all, with India having claimed the first match and the second game being tied. Chasing 229 for victory, India were unable to make the most of a solid start and were eventually dismissed for 163 after 42.1 overs. The visitors looked to have the upper hand 12 overs into the innings at 46 without loss, before captain Abhinav Mukund was dismissed for 18 by Neil Wagner. Opener Unmukt Chand continued to make progress for his side and began to take the game to New Zealand when he dispatched Neil Wagner for six with a vicious pull-shot. However this was as good as it got for India who began to lose wickets frequently. Andrew Ellis knocked over wicket keeper Naman Ojha for one, before Trent Boult made the big break through when he bowled Chand on 46. Ashok Menaria (30) put up some resistance with a couple of big sixes, but was undone when he feathered one to De Boorder off Tarun NethulaÃÔ bowling. Neil Wagner cleaned up the tail quickly for New Zealand and secured the emphatic victory with 7.5 overs remaining. Number seven batsman Jalaj Saxena was left stranded for India with an unbeaten 26. Wagner was chief wicket taker, collecting four wickets in his 9.4 overs for 36. Tarun Nethula also had an impact with figures of three for 46 from ten overs. Earlier, the New Zealand side had opted to bat having won the toss, but once again struggled against IndiaÃÔ opening bowling pair of Vinay Kumar and Jaydev Unadkat. It took New Zealand 14.4 overs to reach 50 and they lost George Worker leg-before-wicket for one in the process. Tom Latham went not long after for 30, to see Daniel Flynn and Neil Broom come together at the crease. The duo put on 64 for the third wicket, with Flynn bringing up his half century before falling for 54 in the 30th over. Broom soon brought up his 50 too, but also failed to convert it into triple digits when he was caught for 51 by Rahul Sharma off the bowling of Vinay Kumar. With 4.5 overs remaining New Zealand was 200 for five, but struggled to form partnerships at the end of the innings. Derek de Boorder once again contributed, becoming the third player in the match to reach the half century mark. Nethula showed some innovation in the final balls with a ramp shot over the keeper for four, to carry New Zealand to an overall total of 228 for eight at the end of 50 overs. Kumar caused the most problems for the home side and finished with figures of three for 36 from ten overs. Shami Ahmed was also effective, collecting two wickets in his ten overs for 39. The two teams next meet for the first Four-Day match on Wednesday September 26. Scorecard:
Consistent? Just two 20s and a score in 40s. Is this what you want? Rayudu did much better when he was under tremendous pressure as all the batsmen had departed, only bowlers left as partners and rising asking rates. Twice he took the team to the finishing line. Apart from him everyone was inconsistent, Skipper Mukund tried better and he and Unmukt at least gave a good start, even if that was slow. Everyone else failed in batting apart from that one knock of Ojha in the 2nd ODI.
The 1st and the 3rd ODI were very hard conditions for the Batsmen and 'our' players who are lame in these conditions have done pretty well. A tours are conducted to monitor the player's performance oversees, considering that he has done pretty well. Rayudu has faced top class Int. bowlers in IPL and in a way has much more experience than a 19yr old.
Pujara has NEVER opened in his career. So just can't understand how and why he should have opened. He has settled as a #3 batsman though has a number of chinks to iron out if he has to excel against quality opposition and in tougher conditions. Rahane just has to concentrate on the opening slot and with 8 tests coming up, if he is in form, he might stake a claim if GG and Sehwag remain in such abysmal form. So I wonder how any of these two could have gone to NZ and played Irani trophy as well! That is just not possible!
Incorrect. He was the opener of the u-19 side, opened for India A in the Top End Series in Aus in 2006 and then later on in a series in Kenya and Zimbabwe, opened again vs SA A in 2008. Post that he has been a middle order batsman. I do agree with you on Rahane. He should be looking for a spot as an opener. Pujara at 3, Kohli at 4 and Rohit/Tiwary/XYZ at 5/6 should be the way to go for our test side.
As SaneI pointed out he has opened, for Saurashtra too..but yes I know he has not done so a lot... however given how our openers are struggling, how the next available reserve in Mukund is struggling and that he has temperament and technique why not see how he fares on an A tour and against average opposition at home...the chance was then to experiment a little...and I was trying to make the point that both would have gained A LOT more from touring NZ than playing Irani trophy
Incorrect. He was the opener of the u-19 side, opened for India A in the Top End Series in Aus in 2006 and then later on in a series in Kenya and Zimbabwe, opened again vs SA A in 2008. Post that he has been a middle order batsman. I do agree with you on Rahane. He should be looking for a spot as an opener. Pujara at 3, Kohli at 4 and Rohit/Tiwary/XYZ at 5/6 should be the way to go for our test side.
Opening in FC games and LO games is vastly different as we all know. And at U-19 or at Emerging players tournament then, when Pujara went, only limited over cricket was played. Series again Zim and Kenya was of ODIs too. Don't remember if he opened against SA A in 2008 in FC or OD.
As SaneI pointed out he has opened' date=' for Saurashtra too..but yes I know he has not done so a lot... however given how our openers are struggling, how the next available reserve in Mukund is struggling and that he has temperament and technique why not see how he fares on an A tour and against average opposition at home...the chance was then to experiment a little...and I was trying to make the point that [b']both would have gained A LOT more from touring NZ than playing Irani trophy
Don't agree about Pujara opening but point about sending both to NZ for the A series is a fair point. But then media and others would have cried wolf about undermining Irani Trophy and all that. And we cannot expect much logic this set of selectors too. Hopefully, the next set of selectors will pay more attention to building of bench strength!

The problem with the batting lineup was we have naman ojha, who is a traditional WK batsma who will at best average in the 30's n i don't think menaria's technque is strong enough for test standard.he is more one day prospect. if unmukt, manan vohra,manish pandey,mandeep get some a tours in the next 2 years, it will be great. rayudu needs some international expereience at the earliest.it will be a scandalous mismanagement of talent if rayudu and uthappa are to fade away

No one talking about SKY's selection in nation in national team. But the way he has performed in A squad, I don't think he'll be chosen again there. Not everyone has the strong backing which Mukund has got. Secondly, India has a scarcity of openers not MO batsmen. So if you don't grab your chances, you're not likely to get many. 3 chances and 3 failures for Menaria. 2 chances and 2 failures SKY. Not everyone can bat up the order! best average is that of Rayudu and that is obvious because he was unbeaten on both the occasions while taking the team to the finishing line. The match in which he failed, the team failed too.
This is not a national team.This is India A and these guys are identified so they will get more chances. They are not finished products and these tours are to make them better amd this process has just started.
This is not a national team.This is India A and these guys are identified so they will get more chances. They are not finished products and these tours are to make them better amd this process has just started.
And I'm also talking an India A team only. Chances are not kept given to failures. India A failures are supposed to be fringe players who can be called to national side any time whenever the need arises. You remember this India A tour? So where are Manish Pandey, Jaskaran, Iqbal Abdullah, Ganapathy et al after failures? Were they too marked as future of India, as you say? Even the successful Dhawal Kulkarni wasn't given another chance for reasons known only to selectors.
And I'm also talking an India A team only. Chances are not kept given to failures. India A failures are supposed to be fringe players who can be called to national side any time whenever the need arises. You remember this India A tour? So where are Manish Pandey, Jaskaran, Iqbal Abdullah, Ganapathy et al after failures? Were they too marked as future of India, as you say? Even the successful Dhawal Kulkarni wasn't given another chance for reasons known only to selectors.
Pandey was selected for emerging team even after that and he should have been on this tour too. Ganapathy and Jaskaran were just bad selections. SKY is not like Ganapthy or Jaskaran. He was the best upcoming player last season. If he continues to do well at FC, he will get more chances. Thing is how many of India players have come from A tours? Not many. There have been many selectorial errors too. Even Anirudh Shrikant has played for India A. There have always been some random selections and some selections based on talent and potential in an India A team.

We don't have a young batter who can simply walk out in any condition and bat well. In fact no one in world cricket would have such a young player atm. Batters take time to mature and adapt to different conditions. So IMO if a batter is scoring 30-40 odd in these games, it is a real good sign of his ability especially since it is coming against NZ A bowlers that have played international games (bolt, wagner, mackay, nethula, etc.).

We don't have a young batter who can simply walk out in any condition and bat well. In fact no one in world cricket would have such a young player atm. Batters take time to mature and adapt to different conditions. So IMO if a batter is scoring 30-40 odd in these games, it is a real good sign of his ability especially since it is coming against NZ A bowlers that have played international games (bolt, wagner, mackay, nethula, etc.).
I agree and that batsman is Rayudu. Even Unmukt did better considering it was his debut for India A and he is the youngest of the lot. Now it is left to be seen how these two do in FC matches. Hope even Mukund, Mandeep, Menaria and SKY do well as we have high hopes from them!
I agree and that batsman is Rayudu. Even Unmukt did better considering it was his debut for India A and he is the youngest of the lot. Now it is left to be seen how these two do in FC matches. Hope even Mukund, Mandeep, Menaria and SKY do well as we have high hopes from them!
I dont keep Menaria in this bracket yet and even SKY. Both have a long way to go. Technically, they are not sound enough.