Rahul Sharad Dravid

Gambit

No one is going to give Dravid stick for winning the series. What he does deserve stick for however, is p*ssing away a Test match when India had a 319 run lead. Tell me, how many times have you watched a team throw away the chance to win a Test match after scoring 664 and taking a 319 run lead ? It's bad captaincy.
Can't forgive this man for giving away the chance of a Test match win for the sake of perceived safety. It's criminal, to be honest. Do hope he retires in the blaze of his faint-hearted glory and makes way for somebody more intrepid, somebody who doesn't look the gift horse of a 320 run lead in the mouth.
ok yoda so you are saying he saved series win.. tell me how?? didnt we still have 4 wickets left?? is 12 off 92 balls was the best strategy?? was 500 runs in 110 overs the best possible target to give them??
12 off 92 balls after being down 3 quick wickets while the other end is blazing way is "acceptable" strategy, given that the series is already in the bag. a quick dravid wicket, followed by a laxman/dhoni induced collapse could have meant all out for 100 giving eng 445 or so to win in more than a day and a half. he could have declared a few overs early with the target at about 475 at around tea.
yes, we could have accelerated and scored faster and declared earlier to give ouselves a better chance of a test win, but once you lose 3 quick 2nd innings wickets, the series suddenly becomes vulnerable again.
then 12 in 40 balls would have been ideal.. but 12 in 90?? for someone like dravid, who has played 100 tests, thats just not right..
then 12 in 40 balls would have been ideal.. but 12 in 90?? for someone like dravid' date=' who has played 100 tests, thats just not right..[/quote'] He just lost his marbles.... maybe had a brain fart.. that's all I can think of!! :confused_smile:
ok yoda so you are saying he saved series win.. tell me how?? didnt we still have 4 wickets left?? is 12 off 92 balls was the best strategy?? was 500 runs in 110 overs the best possible target to give them??
Yes in hindsight we can say we had 4 wickets left.But haven't we all seen some batting coallpses?
then 12 in 40 balls would have been ideal.. but 12 in 90?? for someone like dravid' date=' who has played 100 tests, thats just not right..[/quote'] given that he has played 100 tests, may be he knew better than us on how to bat in that situation?
No one is going to give Dravid stick for winning the series. What he does deserve stick for however, is p*ssing away a Test match when India had a 319 run lead. Tell me, how many times have you watched a team throw away the chance to win a Test match after scoring 664 and taking a 319 run lead ? It's bad captaincy.
Tendulkar in 1999 Amdavad test against NZ. India 1-0 up in the 3rd test, lead by 275 runs. WIll not enforce follow-on on D4, sets a 400+ run target for D5. NZ play out the day - 252/2. He and Kapil were investigated for match fixing.
By that logic' date=' you shouldn't criticise anyone who has played international cricket because you haven't.[/quote'] true. that's why i simply ask some others to be replaced without criticizing specifics of their game, unless they have an established pattern. :giggle:
Yes in hindsight we can say we had 4 wickets left.But haven't we all seen some batting coallpses?
okie then we should have gone with all out attack after making 420 or 450 if the target was 500.. I cant believe that our RR was better in 1st inning than 2nd inning.. and we made 450 more runs in 1st inning.. Wrong Strategy.. and partially, I blame SRT and SG for that.. they should have adviced him..