Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

When most of the time they are working in vi/emacs only.. and producing as great, if not greater software than someone with MBP.
vi/emacs and pretty much every UNIX application is available for Macs through Fink, XCode etc. But yeah, if there is some user who is extremely comfortable with UNIX tools and does not care too much about the user interface or does not use tools like Final Cut Pro, then it's probably not worthwhile for him to spend the extra money on a Mac. However, this thread is mainly about Windows versus Mac and in that case a Mac does all Windows can do much better except games and a lot more that Windows can't do like giving a ready and integrated UNIX working environment.

Ganesh' date=' I don't see how you are making this a Linux versus Mac OS argument? [b']You do know that Mac OS is Unix underneath the graphical interface, right? In fact, you can directly work on a Unix shell on a Mac machine if you want.
I would be surprised to see some linux geek, who does not know that. And that also answers, that many users, are not bothered about the UI part (key differentiator between OSX and Linux), they are rather happy to have more computational power and more freedom - at lesser cost. e.g. There are programmers who develop great s/w with emacs/vi, then there are who do great things with Visual studio, or lets say XCode. ...and then there is another category (fanboys), who spend lot of time arguing over 'superiority' of their choice. That said - I agree OSX/Mac is better tool, for certain professionals - e.g. web developers, designers - or programmers who are part-designers too... probably because a creative artist would appreciate aesthetics much more than a pure geek...., also IIRC OsiriX of OSX has no match on Linux/Windows.

Both were successful businessmen and both were visionary, and both were able to materialize their visions during different time frames. QUOTE] No way.. Jobs remianed visionary/dreamer throuought his life , while Gates only for a decade remained a visionary or whatever.. except for Philonthraphy Gates is nowhere near Jobs .. [in Philonthraphy Gates is incomparable to any person in world , only Buffet may come close]

abey teri problem kya hai.. you highlight and reply to only partial statement.... did you not read - "....different time frames....". as for being lifetime-visionary - Gates switched over to Philanthropy - would you not count this attempt as some vision? or does it only have to be in Tech only? Jobs may have got his visions materialized to larger extent - but he was not always driven by 'vision' - referring to the same book, you keep mentioning - read somewhere towards the end - what he had to say about Android.

cygwin' date=' which has been there forever and is free, provides the same for windows.[/quote'] :WTF: why would you need cygwin on OSX!!!!! Edit: mis-interpreted you. cygwin is useful, but Cywgin has host of problems...better install Linux in Virtual box.

Time Machine was another awesome application introduced by Apple. As far as I know it was the first time that you could back up your entire computer, including all data, applications, passwords etc. automatically by cloning your hard drive every time. Expose, and Dashboard were also introduced by Apple before Windows gave their comical attempt in Vista.

u started the discussion by picking a point from Domk and i replied ..now why u are accusing me :winky: Philonthraphy we can leave out,its his personal decisions..even after Gates left active role he still acted as a advusor for many years except for Windows whats MS achivement ..may be Xbox they failed in most other ventures.. while Apple have its share of failure but they also have more acivements

http://www.geekosystem.com/new-macbook-pro-ram-soldered-on-cannot-upgrade/ With new Mac Is it true they solder the RAM, SSD to motherboard which makes it upgrade impossible? No CD rom drive either and the base price is 2200$ :doh: Unless you want to enjoy retina display i believe there is no reason any Mac user would upgrade to new one. As the article says If you want to future-proof your new MacBook Pro as much as possible, it seems like you should probably shell out the extra cash for the maximum amount of RAM. Then product cost will become 2400$ !!

:WTF: why would you need cygwin on OSX!!!!! Edit: mis-interpreted you. cygwin is useful, but Cywgin has host of problems...better install Linux in Virtual box.
Purpose of cygwin is different. It is to get a shell and the basic unix like commands to work around in windows, not to get a VM. Augments development of platform neutral apps using IDEs like eclipse and the whole Java dev env with maven etc.
I've never used cygwin. I would be curious to know how it would work natively on UNIX when Windows does not have an underlying UNIX shell?
Cygwin is like magic, can install new components without having to search for them all over once you have the initial setup downloaded. Works like a charm if you have a windows box and desperately need a unix like env for shell, vi, grep, unix style env variables, etc.

This has started to look like a Indian/desi board....replete with IT nerds :giggle:
That is why i said this thread belongs to Nerd Talk. But it will have less visibility though. You would not have seen this many posts if it had been opened there.

Cygwin is like magic, can install new components without having to search for them all over once you have the initial setup downloaded. Works like a charm if you have a windows box and desperately need a unix like env for shell, vi, grep, unix style env variables, etc.
I know about this. Never tried it though. WIll have to try sometime. I get bored working on IBM AIX in the office. The application i support runs on it. So vi, emacs, shell scripting is pretty much what we do.

That is why i said this thread belongs to Nerd Talk. But it will have less visibility though. You would not have seen this many posts if it had been opened there.
Philosophically though, it is fun to see a raging debate between Apple vs MS. To use an analogy, it is one thing to see a discussion on Sachin vs Bradman (or why Arthur Mold was overrated :giggle: ), atleast we (Indian disapora) have one horse in the race, here we don't. It is not like we are comparing TATA to MS here. Maybe its a good thing, or bad. Dont know. In keeping with the other thread I am too busy to analyze :flybye:

Philosophically though, it is fun to see a raging debate between Apple vs MS. To use an analogy, it is one thing to see a discussion on Sachin vs Bradman (or why Arthur Mold was overrated :giggle: ), atleast we (Indian disapora) have one horse in the race, here we don't. It is not like we are comparing TATA to MS here. Maybe its a good thing, or bad. Dont know. In keeping with the other thread I am too busy to analyze :flybye:
But tell us the brand of the machine you are going to be busy on.