Microsoft v/s Apple

EnterTheVoid

yea.. but it is 600 to 700 dollar less than the money i would have paid for a mac! i could buy another laptop for that money. And what about hardware upgrades... WIth new Mac you are forced to cover the future as once you bought it is unupgradable with memory soldered to the motherboard.. So you pay like 300 or 400 quid extra to protect future.
VVS - Two points I would like to make. [1] You compare the cheapest Windows laptop to the most expensive Mac and make a price comparison - very wrong. Make a fair comparison and you will observe the difference to be 300-400 USD. The difference in price between my Sony Vaio and Macbook Pro is just 15000 INR. So, make list of hardware and compare objectively. Also note - you will have to normalize the denominators here. For example, Macs provide 7 hour battery life with a lesser weight of the laptop. I have a Dell Vostro 1400 with 9-cell battery and yet it can only give just 4:5-5 hours of battery life. These things you will have to make a list of and then compare. The trackpad is another piece of hardware which you will not have on an ordinary laptop. Make a list of these across both a PC and a Mac and then calculate the nett difference in price. [2] With regards to hardware upgrades, Apple still sells machines where you can upgrade your hardware. The Retina MBP is an exception. Why make exception the normal?

VVS - Two points I would like to make. [1] You compare the cheapest Windows laptop to the most expensive Mac and make a price comparison - very wrong. Make a fair comparison and you will observe the difference to be 300-400 USD. The difference in price between my Sony Vaio and Macbook Pro is just 15000 INR. So, make list of hardware and compare objectively. Also note - you will have to normalize the denominators here. For example, Macs provide 7 hour battery life with a lesser weight of the laptop. I have a Dell Vostro 1400 with 9-cell battery and yet it can only give just 4:5-5 hours of battery life. These things you will have to make a list of and then compare. The trackpad is another piece of hardware which you will not have on an ordinary laptop. Make a list of these across both a PC and a Mac and then calculate the nett difference in price. [2] With regards to hardware upgrades, Apple still sells machines where you can upgrade your hardware. The Retina MBP is an exception. Why make exception the normal?
No Dell makes good laptop and much cheaper. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/220726/macbook_pro_vs_dell_xps_is_macbook_pro_worth_the_dough.html Regarding battery life of Mac.. ya it will run for 7 hours if you don't do anything. There are lot of claims that if you use it normally it drastically reduces to 1 or 2 hours. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3927095?start=0&tstart=0 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194235?start=0&tstart=0

No Dell makes good laptop and much cheaper. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/220726/macbook_pro_vs_dell_xps_is_macbook_pro_worth_the_dough.html Regarding battery life of Mac.. ya it will run for 7 hours if you don't do anything. There are lot of claims that if you use it normally it drastically reduces to 1 or 2 hours. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3927095?start=0&tstart=0 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194235?start=0&tstart=0
Again un fair comparisons. I was talking about average battery life. You are comparing battery performance on full load on a Mac versus average load on a PC!

:laugh: I use one Sony Vaio - within one year of use screen hinges are loose, installation of programs makes laptop slow and as usual anti-virus stuff.
Sure! you are stuck with your own experiences and opinions. On the flip side, I've been using a Sony Vaio for almost three years now. The hinges are as firm as they were on the first day. It's extremely fast tbh even though my computer is cluttered with all kind of shyt. Not to mention, this laptop has been to places, fallen on the floor many a times but it doesn't fail to amaze me. I feel like it's a perfect build for a user like me. I have had a macbook pro about 3/4 years ago and it sucked. It was not at all user friendly but that could be because i am so accustomed to using windows all the time. I had to trash it b/c the back light for the screen blew off and the estimate to fix it at an apple store was 600 dollars. Instead I added in 300 more and got this Sony. Couldn't have made a better decision :two_thumbs_up:

The phone market in 2012: a tale of two disruptions During the first quarter this year HTC, RIM and Nokia all surprised investors with bad news. The effect is evident in the share price of these companies which, in the case of RIM and Nokia is around book value, and in the case of HTC, neared 12 month lows and a 70% drop from peak. These ÅÎisses in earnings and expectations are on top of the already woeful news from Sony Ericsson and Motorola, which have not had profits for years and LG, which has been borderline since late 2009. In combination, this seems to imply a dearth of profits in an industry that is, by all measures, booming. Units are up 7% with smartphones up 47%. Revenues are up 20% and overall profits are up 52%. This are exceptionally strong numbers. Few industries can measure growth in double digits. So if the industry is booming but the majority of participants in the industry are loss making (and surprisingly so) then what is going on? There are two answers: new market disruption and low end disruption. The new market disruption is the migration of a large number of demanding customers away from phones-as-voice-products to phones-as-computing-products. The low-end disruption is the migration of a large number of less demanding customers from branded phones to unbranded, commodity phones. The New Market Disruption The new market disruption is evidenced by the shift of fortunes to Apple and Samsung and away from every other device maker. Here is the profit picture: Of the vendors tracked (public companies who report mobile phone divisional performance), Apple obtained 73% of operating profits, Samsung 26% and HTC 1% [1][2]. The ÅÔhare of profit picture is potentially misleading because it could imply that the profits available are a constant. TheyÃÓe not. The absolute profits picture below shows how the industry actually expanded available profits by quite a lot. Two years ago the vendors generated profits of $5.3 billion in the first quarter and last quarter they generated $14.4 billion. Seen this way, the story isnÃÕ so much that Apple ÅÕook the profits from the incumbents? Rather, itÃÔ that Apple created a vast new pool of profits. And one need not look far to find out where they came from: operators. These profits were mostly carrier premiums for the iPhone 4S. Before shedding tears for operators, consider that although this does amount to a current transfer of profits from carriers, the decision is a popular one. Hundreds of operators have made it. ItÃÔ unlikely that they all colluded to be robbed. Indeed, they willingly hand over these premiums because the iPhone ensures a competitive advantage or preserves their customer base from churning. The calculations that go into a decision to range the iPhone are compelling enough that 250 operators made the decision (though, crucially, there are still 250 who have not). Following this value proposition to its logical conclusion would suggest that the industry is rewarding those who can supply computers-as-phones which preserve the cash flows of what is essentially a trillion dollar data services business. Vendors which cannot offer this solution saw their businesses implode. At least on the high end. The low end disruption Simultaneous with this shift of the high end to smartphones-as-app-and-service-platforms came an explosion of growth in unbranded phones. As Apple led and most brands followed the new market, the old market of voice-oriented phones was abandoned to new entrants offering cheap ÅÈood enough phones. Nokia tried to preserve its volumes and margins there but itÃÔ becoming increasingly difficult. The following chart shows how the Å°ther vendors have come to make up about 44% of the market. Note that although this ÅÇeature phone segment is not growing, it is still a large market (250 million units a quarter). The entrants in this market are numerous (perhaps in the thousands) and they are offering white label and unlicensed knock-off products. They are also offering unregulated (i.e. without IMEI numbers) products which are technically illegal and sold mainly in underdeveloped countries which have no incentives to enforce regulations. This is a consequence of feature phones reaching the point of being ÅÈood enough? The feature set and quality are adequate for voice, text, games and even media playback and are priced at $30 or less. This commoditization of the low end is pressuring what would normally be the fallback cushion under an underperforming smartphone business. The crisis for the incumbents comes from not only being unable to shift to the new market as fast as needed but also from not having cash flows from a low end that was thought to be sustaining. This combination of two disruptions is why we see an explosively large and growing market failing to reward all but two of the participants.[3] http://www.asymco.com/2012/05/03/the-phone-market-in-2012-a-tale-of-two-disruptions/

I had a nice Macbook Pro a couple of years back. And an IBM Thinkpad. Only bad thing about the thinkpad was the screen but then it was for office use only Both had their advantages, Macbook sucked on photoshop despite the amazing screen But the Lenevo i had at home worked well with photoshop However the acid test for me was the when I had the IBM and Apple with me and as involved in a crash in 2009 The thinkpad inspite of taking more of the impact just got the the end chipped etc. The macbook screen broke, the corners were dented, it would not close properly. In short it was a lost case, my IBM thinkpad died this year :( The Lenevo one is still going strong after 3 years, photoshop runs beautifully on it. :)

you have both sony vaio and mc pro? :ohmy:

Microsoft posts first quarterly loss in 26 years

Slipping into the red for the first time in nearly three decades, Microsoft has reported a loss of $492 million in the June quarter due to a non-cash writedown of $6.2 billion related to non-performance of online advertising business. The staggering charge is due to non-performance of its Internet services division - aQuantive - which Microsoft had snapped up five years ago. This is for the first time since 1986 - when it went public - that Microsoft has clocked a quarterly loss.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/microsoft-posts-first-quarterly-loss-in-26-years/272497-11.html

Im getting more and more into Apple products. Started with iPod, then iPhone and now recently decided to get MacBook Air instead of a windows machine. Its nice, takes a bit of time and there are some times when I get frustrated as Im used to using windows but Im getting there. Now waiting for Mini iPad so I can buy it next month

Im getting more and more into Apple products. Started with iPod, then iPhone and now recently decided to get MacBook Air instead of a windows machine. Its nice, takes a bit of time and there are some times when I get frustrated as Im used to using windows but Im getting there. Now waiting for Mini iPad so I can buy it next month
Spoken in Rajkumar tone. Jaani, bahut paisa peet rahe ho.