Sporting Lisbon sign Chhetri

CG

Portuguese club Sporting Lisbon have signed Indian footballer Sunil Chhetri who will play in their 'B' team in the second division of the country's league. In a landmark signing of sorts, Chhetri admitted that playing for a European club was a dream come true. "It is a real pleasure for me and an exciting moment in my career to join a European giant like Sporting Lisbon," he told the official website. "I have dreamt of this day and always believed that my time will come. It is now a reality. Sporting Lisbon, my agent Yogesh Joshee from Matchworld and Football One has made it possible for me and I will make it count for India. Thank you so much." The club's official website confirmed the signing on Wednesday stating, "We have reached out to Indian football, aiming at its development in a market estimated by FIFA, to be of more than 20 million players, and in this context, Sunil Chhetri, captain of the Indian Football Association, an idol in that country, who symbolizes the dreams of all young players who aspire to play in Europe, will join the roster of the team "B"." "With our experience in detecting and developing top players, we are ready, together with local partners, to find the best solutions to accelerate the development of football in India and find values that young people are likely to integrate in other stages of formation. A demonstration of the quality of our services reflects on our business value in one of the worldÃÔ most emerging markets," it added. Sporting Lisbon is renowned for honing young talent and their past wards include Cristiano Ronaldo, Figo, Nani and Joao Moutinho.