Guwahati mob molests girl, video goes viral online

Tiger80

true and these restriction are applicable to men too. Men also get attacked and robbed and God knows how many are raped too but are to humiliated to report. It is not advisable for anyone to go out in risky places without protection.

There are laws/punishments for abetting the crime, destroying evidence etc. But one can not be punished for (moral) support, due to years of emotional bonding. If your kid happens to be part of some crime - would you like to be blamed for bad upbringing? what would you do? Esp. when you feel, may be emotional support might help him/her improve, or you feel your kid might have been influenced/misled, or simply fell in some trap.
Definitely...not just take the blame for inadequate parenting but also express sorrow and support for the victim.Depending on the crime ...may provide legal support to the child but definitely not in cases of rape or molestation. I would rather be shot dead than even having to have to go through the shame of having a child who raped ,molested ,kidnapped a child or killed an innocent person intentionally . Stealing,lying ,getting into fights or even economic crimes of serious nature I can live with ...but certain crimes are just too disgusting .

The girl was 16 for Gods sake. There are a lot of cases reported where minors are raped. So, first thing many of the victims are young and may not have been aware about the safety levels of places they visit. Secondly molestation can happen anywhere, even within their own houses. Predators usually only look for an excuse, or an opening, or a grouping of like minded people. Going on the defensive is the wrong approach to address this problem imo.

The victim can be blamed for being stupid, naive but the criminal's crime does not become any less. Just because a man is carrying a wallet hanging from his pocket will not make pickpocketing any less criminal.The victim was stupid but the criminal was committing a crime. Similarly a woman walking on the road naked may be stupid or even looking for attention ...but raping her is as serious a crime as raping a fully clothed housewife on her way to buy vegetables for a family meal.

No, no and no. This is exactly what we dont want. This is why we still have such incidences. This is why our country is in some part still stuck in the middle ages 1) People like you making these points completely deflect attention from the real criminals. No matter how valid your point might be, even one of you making such points after every such incident is enough to deflect attention and thats the worst thing you can do. People cannot tackle multiple issues at once, so in the loud noise made by these points, the real issue gets lost. Like in this thread, after you and that pace guy made their point, the real issue got lost and we are now arguing something else. So in a way, guys like you contribute a bit to molesters getting away in the long run and society taking longer time to change 2) What is the ideal scenario? Where a woman can be safe or where she has to be a second citizen who thinks 10 times before going anywhere in her own country? Again, only one problem can be solved at a time, where should the focus be? Taking emptions out, its like, if you know you have a bug in your system which is bothering you. You know that this bug can be removed but it will take lots of time and effort but after that you will have a clean programe. On the other hand, you also know that there is a workaround which causes the software to work but limits lots of its functions. We have young new guys in the company who want to invest time and effort and remove the bug. But we have senior, old managers (thats you), who tell them to use the workaround and not waste time. Now as long as you keep using the workaround, you will never sit and work on removing the bug. Again remember, sitting at home is a stop gap measure, not a long term solution in changing society 3) There are often times women stuck in unsafe places but not of their own choice. If you are an employeed working man, you know sometimes, inadverdently, your work, etc will cause you to be out late alone. There are at least moire than 5 times this might have happened to you. Similarly, its not that women dont understand the danger of staying out late and alone, its often that they have no choice or there was a sudden change of plans somewhere. Your suggestion seems to be that these women should either stay at home or, on those special occasions, still defy their managers and leave early without finishing work. Either way, their career is gone. 4) How can you judge a women so casually. Most of the molestation and rapes happen when women are decently covered and by someone known to them. There is no statistics to support skimpy clothes causes more molestation. However, people do use clothes to justify the assault but these people have the same mentality as the molester. Only the lowest of man will compare an exposed woman to some valuable goods. Really, is that how we measure a fellow human being, just because they are from an opposite sex? 5) Finally, you might say that my points are more idealistic and in the cloud and not suited for the real world. In the real world, women should be careful every step. But we have been living in the real world for ages. Women have tried everything for ages, yet the crime rate against them remain constant. There were crime against women since the war, there were crimes against women since ancient times. There were crime against women when they stayed at home. And this will continue till the time we have even one apologist who points finger at what a woman was doing, instead of using the same hand to slap the man molesting him. Most harm to humanity have been done by people sitting on fences and overtly justifying any violent or criminal action. If the black man knew his place and didnt enter a white only place, he wouldnt have been shot, blacks should be mindful of the danger from white supremists. If the jew remained amongst his community and didnt try to rise above, he wouldnt have been gassed, after all the time is bad for jews so they should be careful. If the Taliban hadnt been bombed, they wouldnt be taking revenge by blowing girl schools. if it was upto such apologists, blacks would still be safer as slaves and in plantations, and women would be safe behind her kitchen and her veil

Sad news....and a cowardly act. @Beetle Aunty, while your intentions are good, blaming/punishing the parents or relatives for the upbringing is a bit far fetched to be honest especially when you mention to put up pictures of the parents. While parents do have a responsibility for good upbringing of their children, to say that a killer's parents should also get hanged is not the way it works. Also, it's strange how people behave differently when in groups.

The baghpat panchayat diktat was given when some women complained against eve teasing.That was the solution given to the women.Don't go out,cover your head and don't use mobile. The women harassers were not given the option of not harassing.The option was taken away from women to keep them safe from the village dogs who being men had to be left free.

Duh back to male bashing, cant control their lust and all the good stuff. All partially true but what are the women folks of these men doing? I can guarantee you that the Moms, and sisters, would be up in arms defending these molesters saying how their ladka is absolutely good and usse fansaya jaa reha hai. If I had done anything remotely like this my Mom would have probably killed me. Frankly most guys are more scared of their Moms than their Dads. High time women of India started doing something about this as well, instead of laying back and playing victim card. Please dont read this as a defence of male populace buts lets all learn to take some responsibility too. With regards to OP, so sad and pathetic. Suppose we still have miles to go as a society safe for all.

Sad news....and a cowardly act. @Beetle Aunty, while your intentions are good, blaming/punishing the parents or relatives for the upbringing is a bit far fetched to be honest especially when you mention to put up pictures of the parents. While parents do have a responsibility for good upbringing of their children, to say that a killer's parents should also get hanged is not the way it works. Also, it's strange how people behave differently when in groups.
I didn't ask for parents to be hanged...just that they as a family show some remorse for the conduct of the accused or atleast show some sympathy for the victim.And my grouse is not just against the parents...it is against the whole family...wives of rapists,brothers sisters grandparents . agree about the conduct of people in groups acting like pack of dogs.

All partially true but what are the women folks of these men doing? I can guarantee you that the Moms, and sisters, would be up in arms defending these molesters saying how their ladka is absolutely good and usse fansaya jaa reha hai.
If there was no video evidence then it would be reaction of most parents and family members. In some cases families react so even when there is an evidence.

IMO its a small step from thinking, "woman alone and in skimpy clothes is unsafe", to "this particular woman, in this particular place, is unsafe and asking for it", to wanting to "prove" to the woman that its unsafe and to "show her place" so that she doesnt do it next time. I am sure each and every one of the crowd were justyfying the actions in their own minds in the same way

Duh back to male bashing, cant control their lust and all the good stuff. All partially true but what are the women folks of these men doing? I can guarantee you that the Moms, and sisters, would be up in arms defending these molesters saying how their ladka is absolutely good and usse fansaya jaa reha hai. If I had done anything remotely like this my Mom would have probably killed me. Frankly most guys are more scared of their Moms than their Dads. High time women of India started doing something about this as well, instead of laying back and playing victim card. Please dont read this as a defence of male populace buts lets all learn to take some responsibility too. With regards to OP, so sad and pathetic. Suppose we still have miles to go as a society safe for all.
++

Playing the victim card is natural especially by a family member , nothing surprising in that . Most people would act the same way ( minus the wanabe enlightened wing of Online Brigade ) . Your own is your own . No country , religion , people can be above it . Yeah but lets keep pretending .

The molested victim said on Friday that she shouted for help but no one came forward at the time of incident. "There were many people, including the media but no one helped me. The Assam police then arrived and they only helped me," she told TV channels. "The mob tore off my clothes," she said, adding that "whoever has misbehaved with me during the incident must be given tough punishment." The girl at one stage broke down and said the incident has ruined her life. After his force was slammed for delayed action, Assam DGP Jayanta Narayan Chowdhury said police is not like an "ATM machine" which can be present at the crime scene the moment one inserts a card in the machine. Chidambaram said today no one should make light of an incident of molesting a woman or molesting a child and strongly condemned if any one tried to do so. "If they have tried to make light of the incident I strongly condemn it. No one should make light of an incident of molesting a woman or molesting a child," he told reporters in Chandigarh. The minister said he would get in touch with Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi over the incident. As soon as the video showing the minor girl being molested by a mob in full public view went viral, a hoarding showing the pictures of some of the accused was put up with a caption that they have shamed the Assamese society. "One more person has been arrested and 12 others have been identified," Chowdhury told PTI. "Thanks to the prompt media coverage we have got the video clip of the brawl and have identified 12 of them. We will take strong action against the guilty,” the DGP said. Narrating the sequence of events, Chowdhury said, four girls and two boys, apparently known to each other, entered the bar on Monday night, where they subsequently had a brawl and were forced outside by the establishment’s security. "When the six came out on the streets, local people taking advantage of the situation pushed and pulled one of the girls and attempted to strip and molest her," the DGP said. "The police were alerted and they reached the scene immediately after the incident and rescued the girl," he said. Asked about the safety of women in Guwahati, the DGP said, "This incident does not prove that there are predators lurking in the city". "This is just an isolated incident when local people took advantage of the situation and indulged in the crime," the DGP said. They were charged under Sec 341 (wrongful restraint), Sec 143 (unlawful assembly), Sec 294 (obscene act), Sec 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), Sec 354 (assault or criminal force on a woman with the intent to outrage her modesty) of IPC following a written complaint filed by the girl's mother. In Guwahati, outraged activists have put up hoardings across the city with photographs of the 11 culprits who molested and stripped a teenage girl four days ago and asked people to inform the police about their whereabouts. "We have put up hoardings in some prominent places and at all the bus stops in the city. The basic objective of putting the photographs of the culprits is to help police to bring the culprits to the book and to create an awareness so that such things do not occur in future," said Avijit Sarma of the NGO Assam Public Works (APW). Four of the 16 men have been arrested, police said on Friday as questions were raised over their tardiness in taking action on an incident that has sparked off a nationwide outrage. "We have recorded the statement of the girl and registered a case against all those involved in the crime. We have identified all the culprits by checking the video footage captured by a local news channel," said additional superintendent of police (City) Longnit Teron. "Four of them have already been arrested and search is on to trace the rest. However, it is taking little time as most of the accused seem to have gone underground due to non-stop media coverage of the incident," Teron added. He assured the angry people that all the culprits would be arrested soon. All 16 have been identified and efforts are on to trace the seven other men involved in the crime, an official said.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Guwahati/I-shouted-but-no-one-helped-Guwahati-molestation-victim/Article1-887833.aspx NDTV Guwahati's shame: 50 men seen molesting girl, just four arrested; India outraged

The victim can be blamed for being stupid, naive but the criminal's crime does not become any less. Just because a man is carrying a wallet hanging from his pocket will not make pickpocketing any less criminal.The victim was stupid but the criminal was committing a crime. Similarly a woman walking on the road naked may be stupid or even looking for attention ...but raping her is as serious a crime as raping a fully clothed housewife on her way to buy vegetables for a family meal.
I totally agree with this. Since the crime has happened, the criminals should pay. What are the current laws on such acts? I don't think they are strong.

Definitely...not just take the blame for inadequate parenting but also express sorrow and support for the victim.Depending on the crime ...may provide legal support to the child but definitely not in cases of rape or molestation. I would rather be shot dead than even having to have to go through the shame of having a child who raped ' date=molested ,kidnapped a child or killed an innocent person intentionally . Stealing,lying ,getting into fights or even economic crimes of serious nature I can live with ...but certain crimes are just too disgusting .
Infact, I can bet - since you are so proud of your values and upbringing you are giving - first thought that will come to your mind is, your kid is being framed wrongly.. and you will spend most of the time and energy proving that. That is what happens in most of the cases.

Disgusting and shocking. Was seeing an interview with the camera person and his assistant. The assistant made a dash for a police station and informed the cops about the ongoing molestation. He said there were about 15 odd cops in the station. At first the cops just asked him to wait and only when he said he had footage and was a newsperson, that they acted. Then too they just sent 2 or 3 havaldars. If the Guwahati police are even in the least bit serious about their image, they should initiate an inquiry into the actions (inaction) of the inspector/sub-inspector in charge and suspend him till the investigation is on. The other thing that stands out is that many of the bystanders, instead of helping the girl, instead chose to join the group of molesters. Speechless at the total lack of values and the mindset of these people, who probably did this thinking they could get away with it.