1. 1.

• McCullum
    • Guptil
    • Taylor
    • Williamson
    • Van Wyk
    • None of the NZ bat
    • Other batsmen (state it in thread)

I think they may lose the "drive" unless you don't make it a challenge. A lot of series/matches are played without context. The current policy of the ICC which allows member boards to schedule series at will adds to this mess. For ex' date=' India-Sri Lanka tours. Of course, situations in countries like Pakistan where there you can't play cricket doesn't help either. More than anyone, it is ICC who needs to be blamed for this ruckus. It's not a strong organization but filled with partisan cronies whose main aim is to pacify member boards and not to take cricket forward.[/quote'] We have always had the bilateral cricketing series amongst countries, that's the cricketing trend, we have had n number of pepsi cups, coca-cola cups, sharjah cups, toronto cups. Earlier these tournies were not termed as "useless", but ever since T20 has emerged and mother T20 gave birth to IPL, the bilateral series have been cornered.
We have always had the bilateral cricketing series amongst countries' date=' that's the cricketing trend, we have had n number of pepsi cups, coca-cola cups, sharjah cups, toronto cups. Earlier these tournies were not termed as "useless", but ever since T20 has emerged and mother T20 gave birth to IPL, the bilateral series have been cornered.[/quote'] But even the coca cola cups. the sharjah cups werent meaningless bilateral tournaments .. they were usually tri-nation or quadrangular events whch incited interests with a final game thus not havig scopes of white washes and stuffs. I dont know why triangualrs and multi nation events have reduced so much off late .. I mean apart from Australia no other country hosts these any more
But even the coca cola cups. the sharjah cups werent meaningless bilateral tournaments .. they were usually tri-nation or quadrangular events whch incited interests with a final game thus not havig scopes of white washes and stuffs. I dont know why triangualrs and multi nation events have reduced so much off late .. I mean apart from Australia no other country hosts these any more
yeah, ODI matches used to exciting in earlier. But with bilateral series especially Ind-SL matches, interest has gone down.
We have always had the bilateral cricketing series amongst countries' date=' that's the cricketing trend, we have had n number of pepsi cups, coca-cola cups, sharjah cups, toronto cups. Earlier these tournies were not termed as "useless", but ever since T20 has emerged and mother T20 gave birth to IPL, the bilateral series have been cornered.[/quote'] What may have made sense earlier, may not make sense in the future. The advent of T20 has certainly changed the landscape, money etc. I for one would love to see every series with some "meaning" towards a final goal. This will do two things [1] Make teams take each series as important [2] It will cut off over the top repeated series I want the ICC to sit down and chalk the next 4 year schedule and not just provide a "guideline". It can also give the associate nations a good chance to compete at the higher level. The final leg of the 4th year should conclude in a WC (T20 and ODI) or a 5-match Test series tussle between the the Top 2 test teams played on 5 different parts of the world - India/SL, England, Australia/NZ, South Africa and the West Indies.
Because ICC banned it. ICC' date=' thanks to greed, to protect World cup prestige, banned all ODI tournaments with more than 3 teams.[/quote'] So play triangulars ... Last I remembering seeing a triangular in India was during 2003 when Aus and Nzl came to play. Sri Lanka used to host Triangulars every year until last 4-5 years just before start of IPL and suddenly somehow they stopped it and have been doing with bilateral tournaments. I even remember triangulars been hosted in England in early 2000s .. remember seeing AUS-PAK-ENG tri-series in 2000 played in england plus Natwest tri-series in 2002. Why these boards have discontinued with those 3-nation events with a final to keep the excitement alive??

Cricket is the only sport where matches between nations are played throghout the year. I remember the eighties, (when less cricket was played), how all of us used to look forward to every match India played. Nowadays there is so much cricket, that for all players it has become like a 9 to 5 job. How many of us can be 100% motivated for a 9 to 5 job?

Ind vs NZ: New Zealand hope to 'swing' it their way

HYDERABAD: Though New Zealand never dominated world cricket like the West Indian and Australian teams have done, they have still been a very competitive side. From 1980s to till about 2006, they were a real force to reckon with in international cricket. The likes of Richard Hadlee, Martin Crowe, John Wright and Ewen Chatfield etc. ensured that they were no mere pushovers. They literally punched above their weight but after 2006 one has witnessed a steady decline in their fortunes. The 2-0 win over the West Indies in a three-match series in 2006 was most probably their last emphatic result against one of the top eight sides in Test cricket. Since then, out of 10 Test wins, six have been against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe but against the better sides their results have been dismal. The recent tour to the West Indies where they lost the two-match Test series 2-0 is an indication of the depths that they have plunged to. Picking themselves up from such low levels will not be easy as they are up against a formidable India whom they take on in a two-match Test series which begins at the RJIC Stadium, here from April 23. However, on Sunday after their first practice session, skipper Ross Taylor and coach Mike Hesson sounded upbeat. "It is a huge challenge to face the Indians on their home grounds. They are a very tough side in home conditions. We need to have plans in place to counter all possible challenges," Taylor said. "They play a few spinners and hence it will be a good challenge. But we are ready to face it and put India under pressure," Taylor said. "We have got some fresh ideas and made a few changes in the squad as well. We want to put India under sort of pressure," Hesson, who took over from John Wright as coach of the New Zealand team, said. The coach said they have made their homework to put India on the back foot. "It does swing here in. There is bit of pace and bounce over there. Bangalore could be a bit of variety, nibble around and can turn later. We are preparing for the tour accordingly," he added. The Kiwi skipper was not too concerned about his team not playing any warm-up games before the Test series and reminded that on their last trip to India it was the same yet they drew two Test matches. However, he was wary of the Indian attack, especially the pacers. "We have to be careful especially with the Indian bowling attack with fast bowlers Zaheer Khan and Umesh Yadav being not only good with the new ball but have the ability to reverse swing. This can be a major factor in these conditions," he said. The absence of left-arm spinner Daniel Vettori for the Test series has been a big setback for the Kiwis and Taylor confessed that it was a big loss. He, however, added that it should give the others a chance to prove their mettle. "Anyone who plays over 100 Tests is definitely a big time player. We are going to miss Vettori."
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/series-tournaments/new-zealand-in-india/top-stories/Ind-vs-NZ-New-Zealand-hope-to-swing-it-their-way/articleshow/15562550.cms

New blueprint: Ishant, Umesh best for Tests

Having fully recovered post-ankle surgery, pacer Ishant Sharma thought playing the mid-August Buchi Babu cricket tournament would set him up for a return to competitive cricket. This was at the start of this month, when he was bending his back at National Cricket Academy at Bangalore. But that wasnÃÕ the kind of comeback that the national selectors had in mind for the 23-year-old pacer. On August 10, Sharma was surprisingly picked for the Test side. Their logic: SharmaÃÔ pace was precious and it should only be used for the longer version of the game, at the international level. The collateral of ODIs and T20 have been taken off his plate while Delhi, his home team, was told to use the speedster sparingly. Along with Sharma, pacer Umesh Yadav, 24, too has been earmarked for Tests. Speaking about preserving two of IndiaÃÔ brightest young pacers, board officials said, Ūshant and Umesh are rare talents and we want them to be fresh when playing for India. They shouldnÃÕ get drained or injured because of playing domestic games. They have to play a lot of cricket. India play 10 Tests in the next 7 months, starting with the New Zealand series in about a weekÃÔ time. The national selection committee, headed by Krishnamachari Srikkanth, is also on the same page as they have an answer to the criticism about Sharma being included in the Test side without match practice. Ūt has been our stand that we first assess the fitness in a domestic game before putting a player into the Indian team, but in IshantÃÔ case we decided to make an exception for certain reasons. The board doctors certified that he has fully recovered from his injury and we want him to stay with the national team, said a selector hinting that there were chances that the pacer on the mend might even miss the first Test in Hyderabad that starts on August 23. Fitness first Sharma, meanwhile, isnÃÕ complaining. Ū am 100 per cent fit and feeling good about my bowling. One has to see the way I am bowling to check my fitness. Since I was basically playing Test cricket, IÃÎ really happy that I got fit in time and didnÃÕ miss the series. My physio, trainer and the support staff at the NCA pushed me hard, he says. Talking about his training schedule, the lanky pacer says that he had gradually increased his workload from bowling with a five step run-up to giving it all in spells that lasted an hour. No compromise Sharma has played a two-day practice game, besides a one-day fixture and currently averages around 50 overs a week. The pacer insists that despite the injuries he wouldnÃÕ cut down on pace. Ū will always want to bowl like a fast bowler. I am not afraid of injuries, I have bowled through pain as well. Injuries will happen, I understand that but I can assure you that I will always come flat out at the batsman, he says. IshantÃÔ coach Shravan Kumar is also pleased with the way his ward has progressed. Ū am a sort of guy who likes to judge the bowlerÃÔ fitness by the way he bowls and not by what he does in a gym. He was bowling well in Australia when the injury flared up. Now that it has fully healed, we should see Ishant at his best, says Shravan. But many have said that SharmaÃÔ lack of wickets during the last season, especially during the Tests in Australia and England, was more of a mental thing. While his body has healed, does Sharma have the guile and skills to be IndiaÃÔ long-time pace spearhead? Sharma replies that he has been a wiser bowler after the injury break. Å¥uring the last six months, I saw my clippings. I realised that with the load of responsibility I was under pressure, and thatÃÔ why I was making some silly mistakes. I am a rhythm bowler and I am confident. I am hitting the right length, running in well and not getting tired after bowling 10-12 overs a day, he says.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/new-blueprint-ishant-umesh-best-for-tests/988855/1

Indians prepare for 1st Test with strenuous net session

HYDERABAD: The Indian cricket team on Monday got down to serious business for the new season with a strenuous training session ahead of the first Test against New Zealand starting on Thursday. The team under captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni warmed up by playing football among the players before having an intensive practice session comprising batting, bowling and catching at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium. Sachin Tendulkar had a long batting stint at the nets, preparing for his first international match after the Asia Cup in Bangladesh early this year. The likes of top-order batsmen Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and Virat Kohli followed suit for batting practice. Speedsters Ishant Sharma and Umesh Yadav sent down some express deliveries to rattle the batsmen while spinners Pragyan Ojha and Ravichandran Ashwin too bowled in tandem. The home side players wrapped up the practice session with a football match among themselves. While the Indians did their net session in the afternoon, the visiting Kiwis had their practice session in the morning.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/series-tournaments/new-zealand-in-india/top-stories/Indians-prepare-for-1st-Test-with-strenuous-net-session/articleshow/15572172.cms