Sachin Tendulkar's best non-100 inning

Khalpat

In odis it gotta be 98 against Pakis in Wc 2003.
U_G, you are right about the ODI, I also consider his inning of 93 against Pakis in Hobart, 2000 against Akhtar, Akram, Razzaq, Saqlain, Afridi all in their prime a close second. You should just see his shots against then fastest bowler Akhtar, some of the pull shots were amazing against a 95 MPH balls. Not to tell his legs were shivering :winky:. RJLZBjIjDHI

U_G, you are right about the ODI, I also consider his inning of 93 against Pakis in Hobart, 2000 against Akhtar, Akram, Razzaq, Saqlain, Afridi all in their prime a close second. You should just see his shots against then fastest bowler Akhtar, some of the pull shots were amazing against a 95 MPH balls. Not to tell his legs were shivering :winky:. RJLZBjIjDHI
But if you look at the context the Hobart one doesn't even come close. That game at Centurion was bookmarked by all and sundry more than a year before the actual game as soon as the schedule was released. That time the tension between Ind-Pak was pretty high post Kargil and there was no Ind-pak cricket played for a long time. Add to the fact India was under tremendous pressure with a defeat against Aussies and that game was defacto knockout game as whoever lost that game would have been knocked out. On top of it India were chasing a pretty big total against the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Razzaq, Afridi and especially Shoaib who had broken the 100 mph barrier the previous game and was on record saying that he will own Indian batting. What an assault that was from Tendulkar and Sehwag! The attack was so devastating that Akhtar refused to bowl again after his one over in his opening spell!!! There was an interview by Wasim Akram I saw on TV a few months back and he said that it was the only occasion he saw a fast bowler refusing to bowl after getting intimidated :omg: Form me that innings was by far the best non-100 innings by SRT, and in fact I would rate it his best odi innings ahead of his Desert Storm innings.

JKW4Nf6lJfA&feature=g-vrec The straight drives, on-drives and cover drives are simply brilliant!
pretty good, but these are the best ones: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63660.html walked in at 11/3. good test match as well. and of course: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8k7E1NgMWQ]Sachin Tendulkar 55 vs Australia Mumbai 2004 - YouTube[/ame]

In tests, these are best sachin innings (non-100) that I have watched live 1. Twin 50s in 2001 vs Australia at Mumbai were majestic ! 2. 90 odd vs SA in 2000 at Mumbai 3. 92 vs WI 1997 at Barbados was great too (80 all out match) 4. 90 vs Eng 2002 Trent Bridge In ODIs quite a few, but these 3 comes to mind instantly 1. 95 vs Pakistan Lahore 2006 3rd ODI 2. 44 vs West Indies 1997 1st ODI (Dravid rates this as one of Sachin's best ever. Just 44 !!) 3. Innings in Titan Cup final in 1996 was great too ! (Infact all of his 50s in this tournament were quite good)

The best I ever saw Sachin play in a non-100 innings was his 73 vs South Africa in 1993, 4th test Cape Town. Looked so assured and hit everything in the middle, though he batted slow he was in full control where his team mates sucked. I remember Donald being unplayable, hardly anyone hit him off the square.

In tests, these are best sachin innings (non-100) that I have watched live 1. Twin 50s in 2001 vs Australia at Mumbai were majestic ! 2. 90 odd vs SA in 2000 at Mumbai 3. 92 vs WI 1997 at Barbados was great too (80 all out match) 4. 90 vs Eng 2002 Trent Bridge In ODIs quite a few, but these 3 comes to mind instantly 1. 95 vs Pakistan Lahore 2006 3rd ODI 2. 44 vs West Indies 1997 1st ODI (Dravid rates this as one of Sachin's best ever. Just 44 !!) 3. Innings in Titan Cup final in 1996 was great too ! (Infact all of his 50s in this tournament were quite good)
I liked his inning of 91 in trent bridge 2007 too. Though it was an ugly one, but he really gritted it out there, taking a lot of blows on his body,. Dravid was out of form then, he played a dual role then, of both dravid's and ofcourse himselves as well. I mentioned it in another thread as well, his inning of 44 at Jo'burg in 2006 was class apart. Again like 2007, he was not in form but the way he pulled and cut the bowlers was majestic. If I remember correctly, we had a run-rate of around 5 after the lunch session, in absolute wet and seaming conditions. Ganguly gets a lot of credit for that ininng of 50 of his, but Sachin's inning was really decisive as well.

On the OP, it was a freak inning by Sach pecially on the 4th day last session. He scored some 55 not out in 1 hour with 10 or 11 boundaries. I have always wondered why does not he look to play this way more often whenever we had to save a test match

But if you look at the context the Hobart one doesn't even come close. That game at Centurion was bookmarked by all and sundry more than a year before the actual game as soon as the schedule was released. That time the tension between Ind-Pak was pretty high post Kargil and there was no Ind-pak cricket played for a long time. Add to the fact India was under tremendous pressure with a defeat against Aussies and that game was defacto knockout game as whoever lost that game would have been knocked out. On top of it India were chasing a pretty big total against the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Razzaq, Afridi and especially Shoaib who had broken the 100 mph barrier the previous game and was on record saying that he will own Indian batting. What an assault that was from Tendulkar and Sehwag! The attack was so devastating that Akhtar refused to bowl again after his one over in his opening spell!!! There was an interview by Wasim Akram I saw on TV a few months back and he said that it was the only occasion he saw a fast bowler refusing to bowl after getting intimidated :omg: Form me that innings was by far the best non-100 innings by SRT, and in fact I would rate it his best odi innings ahead of his Desert Storm innings.
You are right on all counts but for one IMO. I think India was already through to the super 6's. We had beaten all thje teams apart from Oz so we were sitting pretty at the #2 spot.

that's a great list. you know your stuff. i can't believe i forgot the two fifties in mumbai vs australia, '01. ball seaming around, wickets collapsing around him, and he was just playing one jaw dropping shot after another...

Some of my fav non 100s (apart from the ones already mentioned in the thread).... 1. 73 vs Pakistan Sharjah 1994 2. 90 vs Australia Mumbai 1996 3. 89 vs Pakistan Toronto 1996 4. 45 vs South Africa Durban 1997 5. 79 vs Australia Kolkata 1998 6. 38 vs Australia Nairobi 2000 7. 50 vs England Durban 2003 8. 36 vs South Africa Centurion 2010 9. 73 vs Australia Melbourne 2011 Still think his 90 at Mumbai is his best ever...