Different varities of cricket you played

kabira

in your street. We used to play different variety of cricket, depending on the ground shape. 1) In middle of street which had houses both sides. Rule was if you hit ball and it goes inside any of the house on full you are out. You can only hit straight. We usually had fielder right behind the bowler. It was tough to hit boundaries. Your chances of scoring runs depended on how well you can run. My favorite shot was late cut and usually used to get 2 runs for it. This was lot of fun. It encouraged straight hitting. 2) Same street but this time we do not have stumps, so we used outside walls. Here we had different varieties depending on number of players we had. If we were only 4, we used to play with team of 2. Both have to bowl, You can score only on off side and if you hit other wall straight you get boundary. Uusally we had limited area for boundary, for example only one house wall. We sometimes used to switch, you can only score on leg side, this encouraged lot of slogging and sweeping. Sometimes it was player who had to decide which side he wants to score. The negative bowling was not allowed. For example if you choose you would prefer offside, you cannot bowl outside leg stump. 3) My personal favorite, test match style. Me and my brother, 10 wickets each playing with rubber ball across the street. You have to play straight and hit straight walls to score, we had designated area for 2's and 4's. If you edge and ball hits wall behind you, you are out. This was the way we most used to get out. This actually helped me improve my technique. This was the reason I opted to open the innings when I played league cricket in USA. It was tough facing my brother who was leftie. He can move ball both ways with identical action. We used rubber ball which used to bounce a lot so I learned how to play with soft hands. How did you play your cricket?

nice thread.. we started of with cricket in gullies, cricket in parks near our house.. we have played different typez of cricket.. anyone remembers "IKKA dukka" famous game.. ball hitz some where then 1 run awarded, 2 runs, then we used to play "beat out" bowler had to basically beat the batsman, the batsman would get out only if he had tryed to played any shot and couldn't hit the bat on the ball.. we have also played with a rule that "ground se bahar maari toh out" translation to this - if u hit the ball out of the ground then u r out.. then we have played proffesional cricket a lot. played for my school in India, could have played for delhi, heck i left India for good.. this i love this bloody game.. and just can't stay away from it.. i still play this here..i play for boydz cricket club now in washington cricket league..

One tappa out. Not out if you catch it two or more tappas. Each not-out shot gets a run. If you hit the ball outside a circle, you are out. pad 3 times you are out. Batsmen playing ground shots used to flourish. Once, I was not-out for almost 1/2 hour and everybody lost interest, gave up and went home. French cricket: Hit the ball and circle the bat around you. If the fielders hit your leg while you are rotating the bat you are out. Leg cricket: No bat needed, soft rubber ball only. Use the leg as a bat. Kick and run.

one tappa one hand only..survive as long as you can. My strategy was to hit the ball hard into walls. one more thing we used to do when me and my brother were there and did not want to play out in the street, was use our front yard. It had tiles, so what we used to do is wet the rubber ball and than bowl as fast as you can, the distance was 22 yards. This was fun as well.

Compound cricket, terrace cricket, room cricket, porch cricket at night with all the lights in our compound switched off (pure instinct!!) Most of the time we played the one tap out rule...anything hit over the compound wall was out...hitting parked cars and windows directly was out...forced us to play very straight lol.

there was this very strange game i use to play in class... we had Reynolds Jetter pen..just introduced in india...at that time..i believe.. we has one desk for two students....as each of us would take our our pen..and put it in the middle of the desk in a straight line.. now the game was to strike the opponent pen out of the desk..by striking the the pen with carrom style.. man how we used to make our pen heavy....strings....cello tapes...papers.... used to be fun....broke so many pen...playing this game...

I have played cricket in most places , under most circumstances... First would be in the basement of our apt complex. This created huge troubles because there would always be some resident complaining that we make too much noise, so we would be relegated to the terrace. This was a huge problem for me because , i was by far the biggest hitter and was also very impulsive to boot. So , half the time , i would be running the stairs , fetching the ball from somewhere. If that didnt work out too , we would play in a dead end street. But since there would be houses around , there would strict rules as to where you can hit and where you couldnt. So even the ball gently rolling underneath the gate into an house would be considered out. I would really get livid at this because i always felt why should a batsman be penalised for a good shot. Then we graduted to playing the nearby grounds. I enjoyed this freedom immensely coz i could really swing the willow with disdain. I was the typical fast bowler , lowe order swinging batsman My scores would generally be like 1( 2 balls) , 32(14) , 0 , 0 , 45(21), 1, 23(11). It was either hit or miss for me. Recently , i have been playing some semi-professional cricket with hard balls and all the gloves. I have found this to be boring , coz most of the time , you just end up standing and watching and doing nothing. And ofcourse , this list can NEVER be complete without mentioning the numerous hours i would spend in my house , bouncing the ball off the wall of my bedroom and practicing one particular stroke. I remember seeing Ranatunga's leg glances and glides down to third man in the 96 world cup i practiced it so much that i could play those two shots with my eyes closed.

I have played cricket in most places , under most circumstances... First would be in the basement of our apt complex. This created huge troubles because there would always be some resident complaining that we make too much noise, so we would be relegated to the terrace. This was a huge problem for me because , i was by far the biggest hitter and was also very impulsive to boot. So , half the time , i would be running the stairs , fetching the ball from somewhere. If that didnt work out too , we would play in a dead end street. But since there would be houses around , there would strict rules as to where you can hit and where you couldnt. So even the ball gently rolling underneath the gate into an house would be considered out. I would really get livid at this because i always felt why should a batsman be penalised for a good shot. Then we graduted to playing the nearby grounds. I enjoyed this freedom immensely coz i could really swing the willow with disdain. I was the typical fast bowler , lowe order swinging batsman My scores would generally be like 1( 2 balls) , 32(14) , 0 , 0 , 45(21), 1, 23(11). It was either hit or miss for me. Recently , i have been playing some semi-professional cricket with hard balls and all the gloves. I have found this to be boring , coz most of the time , you just end up standing and watching and doing nothing. And ofcourse , this list can NEVER be complete without mentioning the numerous hours i would spend in my house , bouncing the ball off the wall of my bedroom and practicing one particular stroke. I remember seeing Ranatunga's leg glances and glides down to third man in the 96 world cup i practiced it so much that i could play those two shots with my eyes closed.
My favorite practice shot (in dreams) was cover drive and then on drive.
Sirf satkela ? Pffft if you ask me I think he wrote it in the Agra-wala aspataal :giggle:
Milman?? Isnt that crazy books on electronics...lot of formulaes..I believed author was satkela
:haha::haha::haha: mu prof..used to say that "this" is your Gita...Bible ...always keep it by your side..and even if you go to bed...keep it below your pillow.. never followed this book...though question used to come from this book only... its font size was too small.... i followed a different book..which became the "text book" after i passed that semester,,..