Centuries are arbitrary landmarks

As difficult as it is, I am going to try to get over the obsession with 50s and centuries. Why not applaud a 44 or 95 or maybe a 102 instead? Why applaud when a team reaches 200 or 300? Why not when they reach 193 or 305? Point? Rather than celebrate these arbitrary landmarks, let's just celebrate quality knocks and victories. Am making an honest effort to wean myself from the century landmark obsession. I am fixing to celebrate a batsman for his average, strike rate, consistency, team-play and performance when the pressure is on. Number of centuries, 50s etc. do not matter to me. Anil Kumble's 100 was the last one I have acknowledged. Anyone care to join me in this quest? Or am I going to get a bunch of :finger:s?

As difficult as it is, I am going to try to get over the obsession with 50s and centuries. Why not applaud a 44 or 95 or maybe a 102 instead? Why applaud when a team reaches 200 or 300? Why not when they reach 193 or 305? Point? Rather than celebrate these arbitrary landmarks, let's just celebrate quality knocks and victories. Am making an honest effort to wean myself from the century landmark obsession. I am fixing to celebrate a batsman for his average, strike rate, consistency, team-play and performance when the pressure is on. Number of centuries, 50s etc. do not matter to me. Anil Kumble's 100 was the last one I have acknowledged. Anyone care to join me in this quest? Or am I going to get a bunch of :finger:s?
I agree entirely. The modern-day cricketer probably shares the same views but those from the last generation (ie. Tendulkar) don't
well they are celebrated by everyone.. 100 is just a landmark.. when u reach or cross that figure, then u increase ur tally by another one.. everyone would have enjoyed dravidz knock yesterday.. and he deserved standing ovation for that knock
Completely agree.....forget 50s and 100s...I say scre*w even numbers....long live odd numbers!:D

As much as we dont want it that way , the legacy a player leaves behind is decided in major way by the stats he is able to manage. Bradman's Aura is as much as gotto do with his 99.94 average as it is to do with all his batting exploits. That is the way the world works. There is this weird obsession with numbers , which is partly to do with the fact the fact that humans in general , give a lot of value to symbolism.

I agree entirely. The modern-day cricketer probably shares the same views but those from the last generation (ie. Tendulkar) don't
see when stats have been presented to you, I wonder why you keep saying that. Here are more indepth stats from the ball by ball off Cricinfo commentary. Innings Used: 13 (because Cricinfo doesn't carry Ball by ball for the previous matches) Tendulkar's average S/R going into the 90s: 1170/1250 = 93.6 Tendulkar's S/R IN the 90s: 130/126 = 103.2 It INCREAESES by 10 points. I proved before that Tendulkar's S/R improves dramatically from the 70 run landmark as well onwards to a 100.
As much as we dont want it that way , the legacy a player leaves behind is decided in major way by the stats he is able to manage. Bradman's Aura is as much as gotto do with his 99.94 average as it is to do with all his batting exploits. That is the way the world works. There is this weird obsession with numbers , which is partly to do with the fact the fact that humans in general , give a lot of value to symbolism.
I am in agreement that stats are important. However I disagree that centuries and 50s are important stats. Averages are important. In other words, someone averaging a 50 with no centuries at all is just as valuable as someone averaging a 50 but with 20 centuries to his credit. What would you say to that, now :regular_smile:?