• Parinda
    • Dayavaan
    • Vaastav
    • Angaar
    • Satya
    • Company
    • Mashaal
    • Other(please mention)

What is your favorite gangster movie to have come out of stables of Bollywood? I have picked out 9 that I would like to think are the best, but feel free to add on.. 1) Deewar *** Amitabh, Shashi Kapoor 2) Agneepath *** Amitabh, Mithun, Danny 3) Parinda *** Jackie Shroff, Nana Patekar, Anil Kapur 4) Dayavaan *** Vinod Khanna, Feroz Khan, Madhuri 5) Vaastav *** Sanjay Dutt 6) Angaar *** Jackie, Nana Patekar, Mazhar Khan 7) Satya *** Manoj Bajpai, Chakravarthy 8) Company *** Ajay Devgan, Vivek Oberoi 9) Mashaal *** Dileep Kumar, Anil Kapur 10) Other(please mention) (MODS, can you convert this to a poll? I was unable to do for myself).

Does Omkara fits in this category?
Ahhh tough call Apo. It is in some way a gangster movie, definitely as far as the criminal background was concerned. However the crux of Omkara is the thought of jealousy, an envy that blinds a person. So in that sense it is not so much a Gangster movie. But I can understand if you see it as one too. By the way here are my top 3 gangster movies: Number 3: Angaar I loveeeee this movie. Highly underrated Shashilal Nair special. Has terrific acting from Nana, Jackie, Mazhar Khan and above all Kader Khan. Perhaps Kader Khan's best work/ Number 2: Agneepath Purely from an acting perspective Amitabh's best work possibly. Watching Agneepath makes you wonder what a tremendous loss for Bollywood was the sad demise of Mukul Anand. Excellent performance by Mithun as well. Love this movie too. Number1: Parinda Easily the pick of gangster movie as far as I am concerned. Bold, hard-hitting and real life eccentric characters. Hard to pick between who was better Jackie or Nana. Hard to pick what was more chilling man thrown amongst the grinders or Anil/Madhuri killed while love-making(which was pretty bold in itself, and erotic). Close 3rd would be Satya. xxx

Thats the one with Amrish Puri calling out' date=' "[i']Shom shom shom shamo shasha". :D Was good fun movie with Javed Jaffrey, Nasseeruddin Shah, Dharmendra etc, except for the cross-dressing part :sad_smile:
yaa, was a nice movie.... i last watched this year5z ago may be in late 90z..

After watching the Original which is Nayakan ( Kamal Hassan)' date=' Dayavaan was a let down in my opinion.[/quote'] I concur. Even though Vinod Khanna did put up a good show but Nayakan is miles ahead. Kamal Hassan as an actor is pretty much in his own league, and this movie shows that very very clearly. No wonder it was picked by TIME as amongst 100 greatest movies ever(Nayakan and Gurudutt's Pyaasa were picked from India) I was in love with the title song, loved the tune. xxx

Manoj Bajpai is a superb actor. Then again superb actor never get their due(in India specifically). I loved him in Satya, Shool, Kaun, 1971. Hopefully he will get good roles. Satya was smashing. I remember watching it in Jaya Talkies in Borivali and being spell-bound. For those interested here is what I had written about Satya sometime back.. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- satyawp2.jpg The powerful scene comes right before the Intermission(or Interval if you prefer). Bhiku Mhatre kills the rival don Guru Narain. His coterie of Kallu Mama, Satya and lawyer Mule are heatedly discussing the impact of the killing. As Satya takes a moment away to speak with her ladylove and while Kallu Mama twirls the empty water bottle looking apprehensive of the situation, Mule sits across Bhiku and tells him... Tu apna dhandha nahin jaanta Bhiku..Ek gaya apne dhandhe mein to sab jaayega And then the background of Sandeep Chowtha hits you right in the gut... Welcome to the underbelly of Bombay underworld. Welcome to Satya. Have you ever travelled in a taxi/auto/tempo through the bylanes of a major town? At the traffic crossing you may see some lepers or beggars seeking alms. What happens at the exact moment one sees them? Pretend as if the other person doesnt exist maybe? Create a utopian world in your mind and escape from the reality maybe? That reality is SATYA. The snapshot of how things operate in underworld. No there are no angry young men a la Amitabh of yore where a person rises against system to take his badla. There are no villain operating with 3 semi clad bimbos in a swimming pool. SATYA traces the underbelly of Bombay underworld. How gangsters are normal human beings with a wife and kids to go home to, its just another dayjob for the protagonists. There are no heroes and villains in this movie, nay the system, everyone is merely fighting for survival...and doing everything to survive. One second the gangster is ready to push a hot iron rod in the eyes of a rival gang member and within a matter of seconds he and his colleagues are talking abt how one of them is having an affair. Within a fraction of a second gang members share a joke and then shoot a rival gang member down. When you pick the newspaper and read how a gangster has been shot dead in Mumbai in an encounter, the unknown face of the fallen gangster is that of Satya... Satya is the story of a man Satya(played by Chakravarthy) who like teeming millions come to the dream city of Mumbai. A series of incidents make his transition from a simple man to someone who fights against local goons, lands in jail, picks a fight with an underworld don, Bhiku Mhatre(played by Manoj Bajpai) and makes his entry into the crime world. Bhiku takes him under his tutelage, gives him a place to live and a gun to settle scores. Satya on the other hand lends his brain and brawn to escalate Bhiku into the Mumbai underworld. In Satya's neighbourhood resides a struggling singer Vidya(Urmila). The more Satya falls in the murky underworld the more his closeness to Vidya grows till one day the two different world collides and Satya struggles to hold onto his world, whatever of the two is left of them. Riding on the hard hitting story penned by Saurabh Shukla(who also plays the role of Kallu Mama the brain of Mhatre gang) and Anuragh Kashyap, the director Ramgopal Verma takes charge in the very first scene and doesnt let his grasp go limp at any time. Its clearly a directors movie with less attention paid to foreign locales and extras swinging their hips in rain, and more towards building the characters in a realistic location. Bhiku's home is an average middle class house with kids quabbling over bread and eggs, the adda/theekana of underworld is a scanty shady place. The goons wear the tapori clothes and not designer dresses. Be it the scene within cinema hall(when Satya fires the gun in the crowd to save himself) or the fuming anguish of the honest Inspector Khandilkar(Aditya Srivastav) when his superior lay all the blame on the of education Manoj Bhajpai as Bhiku Mhatre is a revealtion. He slides easily as the dreaded goon, a dotting father, a smitten husband and someone who still have a bit of conscience left(just check how he stops, even for a split second, while killing Guru or is ready to let Satya get away from the murky waters. A hot headed man he is willing to do what it takes to get to where he wants. Manoj Bajpai slides easily into the role, his drawback perhaps only being his lack of command over the local Marathi language. Chakravarthy as SATYA is the pitch perfect selection. He hardly looks a hero but boy does he have expressive eyes. That combined with his beared appearance give him a rugged and at the same time a very vulnerable appearance. He speaks less but conveys more through his yes, even when there is no life left in them. Saurabh Shukla as Kallu Mama is the quintessential roly-poly think tank. His is a complex character. Someone who commands respect with his brain but is still capable of breaking into a dance at the drop of a hat. Someone who is willing to joke and also shoot...all within matter of seconds. Snehal Dabi as Chander is perhaps the most loving character of the movie. A young chap who loves jokes and puns he brings the much needed relief to an otherwise dark movie. Be it his Saara Mumbai lafde mein blast ho gaya aur Satya ekdam fast ho gaya..or his joke of a woman and her two paramour, you can't help but roll in laughter with him. The female characters in the movie are not there just to make the numbers. Urmila as Vidya is the conscience that pricks Satya. I wonder if the director intentionally thought the name as Vidya which means Knowledge/Education/Wisdom rolled in one in Hindi. Urmila has to mouth little but express a lot through her face, specially towards the end where cops question her or when Satya dies infront of her, and she is very competent in her expressions. Plus she looks gorgeous in plain sari! Shefali Chayya as Bhiku's wife is superb! I would go so far as to suggest hers is one of the best roles enacted on Hindi movie screen. She isnt the kind of woman who goes to the temple asking God to get her hubby on track, instead she is willing to kick the cops, laugh at her husband's jokes, fight with him(in public and private). She is the significant other to Bhiku in more ways than one, and her ability to slide into Marathi at the right time makes her seem so very real. SATYA is hardly the kind of movie where there is scope of songs and dances. Still it has some good songs. Goli maaro bheje mein is an apt song for tapori goondalog celebrating(and I can only awe in admiration as to how someone like Gulzaar saab can write a complete Mumbaiya tapori gaana), Badalon se and Tu mere paas bhi hai are soft and melodious though I am not sure what Gulzaar saab meant in Geela Geela Paani..I mean is there any other variety? There is also the song Sapne mein milti hai, a perennial rage in marriage function for many years. As good as these songs were the highlight was the dance of the protagonists. You can roll in laughter but without a shade of doubt more men in this world dance like a Bhiku or a Chander or a Kalloo Mama than what we see our heroes routinely dish out. I saw SATYA almost a decade ago in Bombay(around 1998). I remember coming out of Jaya Talkies in Borivali. Asked my friends to take an auto while I preferred to walk and think to myself. It was raining a bit. I remember walking on an overbridge, then deciding to just sit on the bridge for a while, my legs dangling on the edge. As trains ran fast under them I wondered if there was something that director wanted to say and it didnt relate to underworld? I wondred if SATYA(truth in Hindi) can get tainted depending on in which hands it lands into! I wondered if SATYA (truth) seeks Vidya (knowledge/education/wisdom) and sometimes even dies for it. I wondered if it takes Vidya(education) to prick the conscience of Satya(truth). I still dont have an answer..........