'Close to 20' dead in Connecticut school shooting,

vvvslaxman

Apparently Adam's mother was going to admit Adam in a psychiatric hospital before the incident and that seems to have snapped him. He clearly opposed it and then did this :(( Also heard on the news that his mother actually went to 30 different cities in 7 other countries to actually find a place for Adam to "live" but that didn't work out.

I just read that sales of guns went off the roof after this incident. Why the hell are people buying more guns now... for protection? Hope there is no twisted guy among these buyers' date=' who got inspired by this shootout.[/quote'] This has been the trend after most of these incidents 1) Some ppl who are already pro-guns feel there is need to buy more for self defense 2) PPl who are nuetral think they will need to buy one now so they can protect themsleves if something like this happens to them 3) In this particular incidents many guns' fans are now afraid that stricter gun control laws may come out in reaction so they are racing to buy before a rule is passed. Lastly your concern of a copy cat is very valid but I hope does not come true- since this incident I already read a) story on an Indiana man caught with 47 guns who was threatening to attack b) a 6th grader who carried a gun to school c) someone in college in North Carolina caught with guns & ammunition in his car If you hear the views & reactions there is definitely a divide; many many ppl feel that time has come for schools to be equipped with guns & that principals/teachers should have them on them to defend. For some reason ppl feel that the post-Batman shooting could have been avoided if ppl in the theater had guns too. Pro-gun folks say things like - "well should we get rid of cars if there are ppl killed in accidents?" or "its never the gun but ppl who kill other ppl" Hard for me to relate to any of that but this is the harsh reality in this cowboy culture

Apparently Adam's mother was going to admit Adam in a psychiatric hospital before the incident and that seems to have snapped him. He clearly opposed it and then did this :(( Also heard on the news that his mother actually went to 30 different cities in 7 other countries to actually find a place for Adam to "live" but that didn't work out.
I have a lot of empathy for anyone dealing with this kind of situation but I am failing to see why she collected guns the way she did. Only reason I can think of is self defense but then why she shared with him & took him out for target practice etc with such an unstable situation. Mental treatment is indeed a mess and tragedies will happen because of that e.g.. suicides from depression but atleast remove an object that alllows such a person to fire 100 rounds in a minute from the proximity of such a person. Working in hospitals had taught me the financial aspect of it- hospital earns prime reimbursement rate only for 3-4 days for acute condition patient coming in, after that pt is considered chronic with a much lower reimbursement rate from insurance companies & state. As a result message to the staff is clear- somehow drug the patient to make him stable and then kick him out to free up space for new patient. Its impossible to private pay by families unless its Bill gates kinda family so the caregiver has to take the patient back and deal with the situation. The least that can be done in this broken system is to keep the patient away from weapons which is really difficult in USA because of the obsession with the guns. There was a chilling case of a woman with psychiatric issues whose husband served in Iraq so she was always at home with 2 teenage kids. Why they kept a gun despite such a situation at home is beyond me but one day she lost it and shot both kids in the head to kill them!! With a gun the kids stood no chance at all- she could have tried some other way but the idea should be to reduce the risk atleast if it cannot be eliminated.

Now reports are coming out that this may have ended up as much much worse if the 1st responders had not arrived as soon as they did (he shot himself on hearing them coming) because he had so much ammunition on him. The motive now seems to be linked to the fact that the mother had finally decided to try and admit him again to psych hospital. The details that are coming out are just horrific becuase it seems he was determined to kill as many kids as possible The bastard taped extra magazines to the guns so that he could fire nonstop and kill as many as possible over a short period of time. He used ammunition that would gurantee killing vs. just a wound- bullets were specifically chosen to penetrate deep tissue to increase the damage to the victim. It is believed he used "frangible ammunition" which fragments on impact. These kind of bullets usually cause significant injuries that are often beyond what medical staff can provide much help to He fired at least three 30 bullet magazines all the victims shot had multiple gunshot wounds, with some children allegedly shot as many as 11 times ( this is just evil evil ); entered 1st classroom & killed teacher + all 14 kids, then entered the 2nd- teacher even tried hiding the kids but he killed her and then killed the poor 6 kids who were trying to run away from him What kind of a monster can do this to kids??

Now reports are coming out that this may have ended up as much much worse if the 1st responders had not arrived as soon as they did (he shot himself on hearing them coming) because he had so much ammunition on him. The motive now seems to be linked to the fact that the mother had finally decided to try and admit him again to psych hospital. The details that are coming out are just horrific becuase it seems he was determined to kill as many kids as possible The bastard taped extra magazines to the guns so that he could fire nonstop and kill as many as possible over a short period of time. He used ammunition that would gurantee killing vs. just a wound- bullets were specifically chosen to penetrate deep tissue to increase the damage to the victim. It is believed he used "frangible ammunition" which fragments on impact. These kind of bullets usually cause significant injuries that are often beyond what medical staff can provide much help to He fired at least three 30 bullet magazines all the victims shot had multiple gunshot wounds, with some children allegedly shot as many as 11 times ( this is just evil evil ); entered 1st classroom & killed teacher + all 14 kids, then entered the 2nd- teacher even tried hiding the kids but he killed her and then killed the poor 6 kids who were trying to run away from him What kind of a monster can do this to kids??
I have random thoughts: (1) This monster planned this for a long, long time. He was obviously intelligent and did his homework. (2) Apparently, his mom was some sort of a "survivalist," who thought the guns would help keep her safe. So much for that. (3) How much would it cost for the schools to have a trained, armed security guard outside every school? Wouldn't it be worth it rather than take these chances any more? (4) Mental healthcare is messed up. My students get treatment for "test anxiety disorder," and this feller couldn't be institutionalized for something so serious? What does it cost to have an armed security guard outside every school door?

(3) How much would it cost for the schools to have a trained, armed security guard outside every school? Wouldn't it be worth it rather than take these chances any more?
Yes, Armed security guards everywhere to protect the country from the loonies who want to carry guns. I have a better idea - keep the guns off all the loonies. Repeal the 2nd amendment. :idea:

I just read that sales of guns went off the roof after this incident. Why the hell are people buying more guns now... for protection? Hope there is no twisted guy among these buyers' date=' who got inspired by this shootout.[/quote'] There's a mentality among the NRA members (guess which side of the political spectrum they belong), they love their guns more than their lives since it gives them a false sense of freedom (read ego boost). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_my_cold,_dead_hands

How long before a lone wolf terrorist figures out that going on a shooting rampage is the most effective way to carry out an attack rather than relying on bombs which are extremely hard to procure.
Then the conzzzvatives will still talk about personal responsibilities of the terrorist. Then there's GAWWWDDDDDDD and the devil and heaven and hell and all other irrelavant nonsense.

How long before a lone wolf terrorist figures out that going on a shooting rampage is the most effective way to carry out an attack rather than relying on bombs which are extremely hard to procure.
This just reminded me of the gunmen of 26/11 :(( Why has this not happened in the US, is a mystery now that I think of it. I guess, even such a coordinated attack is not easy. I don't know, but good point.

^ Dept of Homeland Security is massively funded and has an amazing amount of visibility across the country & abroad. A hundred alarms might go off in 10 diff DC buildings the moment Mr. Mohammad running a gas station in Montana buys a pistol :giggle:

NRA finally comes out with a statement. Here are there solutions: a) We need more guns at schools. b) Video games are getting kids killed. c) best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun. d) We protect our President with guns, why not protect the kids too? (The ahole doesnt even realize basic Mathematics, 1 President versus millions of kids). Funny thing is most people at my workplace thinks NRA is right..:((

NRA finally comes out with a statement. Here are there solutions: a) We need more guns at schools. b) Video games are getting kids killed. c) best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun. d) We protect our President with guns, why not protect the kids too? (The ahole doesnt even realize basic Mathematics, 1 President versus millions of kids). Funny thing is most people at my workplace thinks NRA is right..:((
Nothing funny about that, sounds like an intelligent solution. In fact in stead of stopping people from taking guns to a plane, they should arm American air passengers. 9/11 would not have happened if every American in those planes was carrying a gun. They would have shot the terrorists down. Every American should be armed to the teeth. That way no terrorist would ever be able to kill many Americans.