Delhi Gangrape | Four accused sentenced to death

Tiger80

I don't think this would have been such a big news if an ordinary village girl was raped. Such a shame and double standards.
You are 100% right , here is proof
Woman gang-raped at bus stand in Mau district of Uttar Pradesh Ashish Tripathi, TNN Dec 20, 2012, 03.04PM IST Tags: Uttar Pradesh rape| Mau gang rape| Gang rape (A 38-year-old woman was? LUCKNOW: After gang rape of a girl in a moving bus in Delhi, which shocked the entire country, a 38-year-old woman was allegedly gang-raped by three persons at a roadways bus stand in Mau district of Uttar Pradesh. However, while police acted swiftly in Delhi case after media highlighted the incident leading to countrywide public outrage, in Mau the police refused to lodge a rape complaint and registered a case of molestation, eve-teasing and theft. In fact, the police had initially refused to entertain the complainant but registered a case in 'mild sections' of IPC after local media highlighted the matter. According to reports, the incident happened late on Tuesday night. The victim, a resident of Azamgarh district, was going to Vindhyachal along with her in-laws. On the way, their neighbours Jhanku Ram, Prem Chand and Tilakdhari also joined them. All boarded a bus for Mau from where they had to catch a train for Vindhyachal. After reaching Mau, woman's family members went to the railway station to buy tickets while she stayed back at the bus stand to look after the luggage. Taking advantage of the situation, the three neighbours raped the woman and gagged her when she raised an alarm. The culprits fled after committing the rape leaving her unconscious at waiting room of the bus stand. Family member of the victim found her on return after buying tickets. They informed police. The police then took the victim and the family members to the police station but refused to accept the written complaint of the woman complaining about the gang-rape. When mediapersons reached the police station, the police lodged a case of molestation and claimed that victim's family has not lodged a complaint of rape. However, the victim said that she had lodged a written complaint of gang rape. Meanwhile, protests against Delhi gang rape incident and increase in crime against women continued in various parts of the state. In Lucknow, All India Democratic Women's Association, staged demonstration and demanded speedy trial of rape cases. Women activists also raised the issue of Aashiana rape case in which trial of the prime accused has not started even after seven years. Angry protests were also reported from Kanpur, Varanasi, Meerut and Ghaziabad. On the other hand, during last 24 hours, gang rape cases were also reported from Rae Bareli, Rampur, Sonbhadra and Farrukhabad. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-12-20/lucknow/35933125_1_mau-roadways-bus-police-station
The above is also proof why Delhi has high Rape stats compared to other states

^ Police is understaffed' date=' underequipped & prone to meddling from govt for the sake of individual vested interests. I really pity many of them, especially their lower levels. They slog day & night for a pittance of a salary and are expected to guard us from all threats, be it drunk millionaires with guns or trained terrorists.[/quote'] Point taken. I was also not talking about the cop on the street but rather the top brass. they have misplaces priorities and no strategy to tackle crime against women.

Point taken. I was also not talking about the cop on the street but rather the top brass. they have misplaces priorities and no strategy to tackle crime against women.
This. Our civil society loves to create hooplah every now and then but ultimately nothing materializes. What is the end result of that Anna Hazare campaign throughout the country? Lets face it. We Indians are a bunch of hypocrites with misplaced priorities.

Cant blame cops as they are underpaid is a dumb argument - if they find their as under-paying then they should quit and find another job, they cant say that "it doesnt pay enough so we will be corrupt". I'm sure there are millions of others who would be willing to take their jobs. The president is an a-hole, the PM is someone who has achieved nirvana, CM is a douche, MPs are *****s and MLA's are busy licking boots of high command. There is no one smart freaking person who is running the country. India had a great opportunity between 2000-2010 to go crazy on reforms and upgrading the infrastructure but the govt didnt do anything. they missed a great opportunity

If youÃÓe frothing at the mouth and are going apoplectic, itÃÔ a sure sign that you have nothing coherent to say and have allowed emotion to interfere with lucidity of thought. In that sense, Congress leader Sanjay NirupamÃÔ vulgar abuse directed at Smriti Irani of the BJP, in a television talk show late on Thursday (watch the clip here), is symptomatic of the Congress colossal failure to get its head around the political significance of Narendra ModiÃÔ win in Gujarat. Appearing on ABPÃÔ post-election analysis, Nirupam resorted to the usual Congress strategy of launching ad hominem attacks on Modi based on wilful misrepresentation of facts about his record of governance in office, which was far and away the one election issue on which Modi returned to power for a third time. Challenged by Smriti Irani, Nirupam launched into personal abuse of Irani. Å¢ap to paise ke liye thumke lagati thi Patha hai tumhara charitra (You used to dance for money, I know your character), he sputtered, his hands flailing in extreme agitation. Nirupam is, of course, a crass politician, from whom no one expects any better. But his outpourings are indicative of a larger failing within the Congress to challenge the very real political threat that ModiÃÔ ascent, on the strength of a new idiom of developmental politics, poses to the Congress in 2014. (At another level, NirupamÃÔ manifest misogyny, unmindful of the fact that he was on prime-time television, provides a cultural backdrop to regressive attitudes towards women that create the enabling conditions for brutal assaults on women of the sorts we saw in Delhi last Sunday with the gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman.) Quite simply, the Congress in Gujarat was looking to do a repeat of the 2004 general election. That year, the BJP-led NDA was campaigning on the êndia Shining platform, showcasing the entrepreneurial and economic resurgence it had laid the foundation for with a slew of economic reforms under Prime Minister AB Vajpayee. But the Congress under Sonia Gandhi launched only what can be called a ÃÃ…rains inspector campaign: of pointing to pockets of poverty (of which you can find plenty to this day) and running down the merits of economic growth on the specious ground that the poor and the dispossessed had not benefited from them. The Congress success in that election whatever the reason that underlay it gave it reason to go on a populist binge and indulge in the cynical politics that placed a premium on welfare entitlements over aspirations. The effect of eight years of such ÅÃreast-beating economics is manifest today: the economy is growing at its slowest pace in nearly a decade, and the country is perilously close to seeing its sovereign rating downgraded to junk status. Yet, campaigning for this Assembly election in Gujarat, the Congress resorted to the same strategy of running down ModiÃÔ claims to having fostered development. It was replicate the same cynical politics of the downward spiral that had proved successful in 2004 aat the pan-Indian level. Except that it didnÃÕ work. The success of ModiÃÔ campaign pitch of reaching out to the aspirational sections of society, eschewing the politics of religious or caste identity, holds enormous significance for the economic and political discourse as it will likely be framed for the 2014 elections, but the Congress doesnÃÕ appear to have got the memo. It is still stuck in the backward-looking politics of entitlements and populism and caste and religious identity, whereas Modi has demonstrated that IndiaÃÔ politics is aspirational, and that unlike in 2004, when the Congress succeeded in ambushing the India Shining campaign, ÃÃ…evelopment and ÃÆconomic reforms arenÃÕ dirty words anymore. Particularly in a context where the 2014 election is being framed as one that will see a head-to-head contest between Modi and Rahul Gandhi, the contrast in the tones between them couldnÃÕ be more stark. As Pratap Bhanu Mehta points out in the Indian Express (here), Rahul GandhiÃÔ vision of India is as ÇÑermanently dependent upon and confined to welfare. He does not display a trace of self-belief in IndiaÃÔ possibilities. Modi, on the other hand, speaks to the future, even if he occasionally appears presumptuous in overemphasising the developmental theme. Mehta sees this as a larger failing among ModiÃÔ critics, and in particular the Congress, to set their own house in order before they target him. Virtually every criticism made of Modi is true of his critics as well. You say Modi fosters a personality cult? What of other parties where the leader is bigger than the party? You say Modi is a propagandist? What do you say about the fact that the Gandhi dynasty has abused state power for decades and imprinted its name on virtually every scheme? You say GujaratÃÔ developmental record isnÃÕ as immaculate as Modi claims it to be? What about the Congresss record over the 60-plus years since independence? As Mehta points out, if the Central government had been subject to the kind of scrutiny Gujarat has been subject to, our economic history would have been entirely different. The list is endless The real significance of ModiÃÔ third consecutive victory in Gujarat, on the campaign theme of development, is that it has the capacity to dramatically alter the political discourse in the lead up to the 2014 election. Those who argue that the rest of India doesnÃÕ abide by a Gujarati template of developmental discourse tend to miss out on the genuine yearning among aspirational sections of the neo middle class for just the rudiments of good governance. Of course, Modi doesnÃÕ measure up to the highest standards of liberal politics, but the same can be said of many other leaders as well. In that sense, NirupamÃÔ mindset is more prevalent among the ÃÃiberal political class than is readily acknowledged. In such a political backdrop, Modi has already imprinted his stamp on the 2014 election theme. From its initial responses to ModiÃÔ win in Gujarat, the Congress appears not to have got the message. The longer it persists in bad-mouthing political opponents as a substitute for offering governance, the more certain it is to lose the narrative. 2012 isnÃÕ 2002, and 2014 wonÃÕ be 2004 either.
http://www.firstpost.com/politics/how-modis-victory-changes-the-political-pitch-for-2014-565146.html Congress has no solutions. It is a party led by duffers and supported by duffers.

Cant blame cops as they are underpaid is a dumb argument - if they find their as under-paying then they should quit and find another job' date=' they cant say that "it doesnt pay enough so we will be corrupt". I'm sure there are millions of others who would be willing to take their jobs.[/quote'] Yes there are immense failures of the police across the country, but the buck does not stop with the cops. Unlike the judiciary, these cops report to the babus directly and the revamp of local law enforcement has to come from these babus.

We have been discussing about rapes in Delhi for months in our forum. Not a peep in social media. But this brutal attack has definitely ignited lot of fire. hope it doesn't die down like the gawahati molestation case. In India each problem has a shelf life.. It will be a matter of few weeks before it gets replaced by another problem. Hope the authorities do the follow up and eradicate brutal crimes like this.

We have been discussing about rapes in Delhi for months in our forum. Not a peep in social media. But this brutal attack has definitely ignited lot of fire. hope it doesn't die down like the gawahati molestation case. In India each problem has a shelf life.. It will be a matter of few weeks before it gets replaced by another problem. Hope the authorities do the follow up and eradicate brutal crimes like this.
What? :blink:

Agreed except for the bolded part.

MY experience.. on the facebook.. my facebook members never even talked about it.. all of a sudden i see 100s of images with protests. petitions..etc etc.
OK - your experience isn't what really happened. There has been an uproar on social media in the past few days. On Twitter, #DelhiGangRape and similar topics were trending for more than one day. Even today, Sanjay Nirupam and Smriti Irani's duet was being discussed. I noticed similar trend (mostly mob mentality though) on Facebook too. In any case, I have had the exact diametrically opposite experience to what you are reporting. Probably - we should check with others.

MY experience.. on the facebook.. my facebook members never even talked about it.. all of a sudden i see 100s of images with protests. petitions..etc etc.
You cannot equate your fb members iwth the whole nation (Indians who are on fb). BTW I agree with your second part that all these hoopla will soon die down and everything will be back to business as usual. Shame really, considering Delhi is the capital of a country aspiring to be the next superpower after China......

OK - your experience isn't what really happened. There has been an uproar on social media in the past few days. On Twitter' date=' #DelhiGangRape and similar topics were trending for more than one day. Even today, Sanjay Nirupam and Smriti Irani's duet was being discussed. I noticed similar trend (mostly mob mentality though) on Facebook too. In any case, I have had the exact diametrically opposite experience to what you are reporting. Probably - we should check with others.[/quote'] I am not talkign about past few days.. i am talking about past few months.

huh???
Consider this...... Today, Police chief of Delhi was saying on tv they don't have enough manpower to guard 24/7. So why are our police force involved in VIP security? Let me tell you, Delhi Police has 20-30% (depending upon the time of the year/ events, etc) of resources alloted towards providing security to ministers, mp's, Parliamentarians. We already have 3-4 agencies/ private bodyguards for the job, then why Delhi Police? Secondly, just look at the quick responce of the Police in this case to nab the culprits because of nationwide protests. So why not this urgency in the other 100's of cases everyday? Delhi not safe. Period. Not only for women, shootings, killings, theft, etc. And yeah, it is our capital city.