In quest of India's national dish.... what is it?

Nova

Kashmiri rajma has a somewhat bitter taste. Didn't really enjoy it' date=' but heard[b'] it's more of an acquired taste.
that may be the case... But I don't think dishes like Rajma Chawal, Choley Bhaturey, Makke ki Roti Sarso ka Saag etc can be called "National Dish" because IMO these are still predominantly North Indian dishes.

But I don't think dishes like Rajma Chawal, Choley Bhaturey, Makke ki Roti Sarso ka Saag etc can be called "National Dish" because IMO these are still predominantly North Indian dishes.
Oh yeah, the National Dish discussion is over - it's Daal Chawal, with the kind of Daal to be decided. But it's always fun to talk about food.

Why so much hate for Rajma-Chawal? :dontknow:
To understand the hate, you need to have loads of hardcore veggie northie friends or even better live with them. I used to live with a couple during my university and every time I ran out of groceries or wanted to eat their cooking, it was fecking rajma chawal. And the best part was that they would be gloating as if they are feeding me their finest delicacy. Personally, its just like eating bland beans in a sort of garam masala curry base. I hated it. P.S. I have eaten it in a small hotel near Jammu, not much difference except for loads of butter which would make even hay eatable.

how about Dahi and Chawal....When I was a kid I went to my ancestral Village and I saw these farmers eating Rice with Dahi(more like Lassi not exactly thick yogurt) with some pickle and onions on the side. My mouth was watering looking at the way they enjoyed the food after a hard day in the sun...you could probably think that was the most tastiest dish in the entire world. I have seen a lot of Rickshaw pullers in smaller towns eating this for lunch as they need a lot of calories to burn all the energy. We all eat some variation of Curd and Rice,so probably it should be the national dish of India along with Daal-Chawal

To understand the hate, you need to have loads of hardcore veggie northie friends or even better live with them. I used to live with a couple during my university and every time I ran out of groceries or wanted to eat their cooking, it was fecking rajma chawal. And the best part was that they would be gloating as if they are feeding me their finest delicacy. Personally, its just like eating bland beans in a sort of garam masala curry base. I hated it. P.S. I have eaten it in a small hotel near Jammu, not much difference except for loads of butter which would make even hay eatable.
hmmm....I have lived/still live with northies (Dilli, Bihari, UP) and none of them prepared rajma chawal. Maybe your friends sucked at cooking. My present bihari roomie does prepare all weird veggie dishes though. :nervous:

how about Dahi and Chawal....When I was a kid I went to my ancestral Village and I saw these farmers eating Rice with Dahi(more like Lassi not exactly thick yogurt) with some pickle and onions on the side. My mouth was watering looking at the way they enjoyed the food after a hard day in the sun...you could probably think that was the most tastiest dish in the entire world. I have seen a lot of Rickshaw pullers in smaller towns eating this for lunch as they need a lot of calories to burn all the energy. We all eat some variation of Curd and Rice,so probably it should be the national dish of India along with Daal-Chawal
daddojanam:--D

hmmm....I have lived/still live with northies (Dilli' date=' Bihari, UP) and none of them prepared rajma chawal. Maybe your friends sucked at cooking. My present bihari roomie does prepare all weird veggie dishes though. :nervous:[/quote'] He is actually right though. This is a bit of my own gripe. A lot of veggie eaters claim there are tons of good dishes in veggie world but then limit it to rajma and paneer. This is to not to diss all veggie eaters but for a large amount of them the menu is rather limited. lol@ your Bihari roomie making you fall in love with his cooking habits :--D:--D:--D

Paneer and Non-Veg items can never be the national dish...so many people living below the poverty line cannot affird meat and Paneer,that's more middleclass onwards...The national dish should be something that transcends every class of the society,hence it is either Daal Chawal or Dahi Chaawal

Paneer and Non-Veg items can never be the national dish...so many people living below the poverty line cannot affird meat and Paneer' date='that's more middleclass onwards...The national dish should be something that transcends every class of the society,hence it is either Daal Chawal or [b']Dahi Chaawal
Can't be. Dahi-chaawal is what Hema Malini consumes 3 times a day and credits her good health and looks to. You Sir, are an elitist :bootyshake:

Must say I am surprised at the lack of respect Haleem gets. Most desi restaurants dont even serve it in India or abroad.
It's supposed to be THE DISH during Ramzaan and here I have Muslim friends who never had it or had it only a couple of times. As a Hyderabadi, it was quite a shock for me. If Muslims themselves don't "respect" it, you can't expect much from rest of India.