Bowlouts are a bad idea.

varun

Bowlouts are a bad idea, and it looks like they are trying too hard to emulate soccer. It's not analogous to a penalty shootout in soccer because:

• you are awarded penalties in normal course of events in soccer and so the penalty shootout isn't something that would seem weird.
  • However the sight of a bowler running up to bowl at stumps without a batsman is absurd and bizarre.
  • Moreover it takes away a key-element of cricket, i.e. the batsman. In soccer, atleast the key elements are there in penalties, i.e. a striker, a goal, and a GOALIE !

20/20 would be much better off with extra time/overs instead of the ridiculous bowl-out

Its exciting ! :D Nothing else counts !
Ah but you'll find spinners excelling in bowlouts.. No fun in that :P .. You wouldn't find a bowler going full out to hit the stumps, it's sorta makes players hold back, which can't be good. I would rather have 5 overs each extra time
I would rather have 5 overs each extra time
This is a good idea. I have never been a big fan of penalty shootouts in football either. Although, football at least allows two 15 minute periods of extra time (golden and silver goals). A cricketing equivalent would see both teams having a slogout over 5 overs. Whichever team scores more, wins. If it's still a tie, then go for the bowl-out.

20/20 itself is a mockery of cricket. No matter how much lipstick we put on this pig of a format, it will remain a pig. I thought this bowl out added lot of excitement to an otherwise farcical format of the game. Frankly if not for the bowl out i wouldnt have had half the fun i had yesterday. That said ICC should continue having bowl outs in games involving Pakistan. For other countries, which have won something in recent world cups, we can have a 5 over extra time.