Why Tendulkar must retire now

Wishful thinking. Tendulkar will go to South Africa. I still remember how the great Kapil Dev had to be virtually dragged out of the team. Hope Tendulkar does better than that.
Kapil was playing for his highest wkt record. As soon as he surpassed Hadlee he hung up his boots. Wonder which milestone is Tendulkar after :hmmm: I think it might be the first player to play 200 Tests.
Err' date=' sorry, please point to the matches where he failed while chasing in important games apart from the WC finals? Of the cuff, I can remember the sharjah matches and CB series finals he single-handedly won. As for the WC finals, he failed only once truly, in the other match he was chasing 360+. All your other so called big players never had a single wc final where they started from a handicap of 360+. So according to your brain, because a player played better in one single match (Wc 2011) that becomes more important than a 20 year career? Bear in mind Sachin is amongst the best players of finals India has and his average in those finals we won was almost 100 before last wc final. So I dont know what big matches are you talking about, please clarify[/quote'] Let me get this straight. The greatest ODI player of all time just rolls over and gives up cause he has to chase 360+. Aren't the great ones supposed to rise to the occasion and at least show some fight and lead the way? :hmmm:
Let me get this straight. The greatest ODI player of all time just rolls over and gives up cause he has to chase 360+. Aren't the great ones supposed to rise to the occasion and at least show some fight and lead the way? :hmmm:
That too when we had chased 325 against Eng in Natwest series just a year back. We could have at least given us a chance but that 1st over dismissal of Tendulkar pretty much ended our hopes.
Let me get this straight. The greatest ODI player of all time just rolls over and gives up cause he has to chase 360+. Aren't the great ones supposed to rise to the occasion and at least show some fight and lead the way? :hmmm:
Greatest ODI player was against greatest ODI team of all time. Contest was made uneven from the word go. Anybody who thinks that anything was left in the match when Sachin went into bat, are fooling themselves. Few days back same team was rolled over by same australian for paltry 125, and here I see people who are were backing India to chase 360 in final chase. Height of hypocrisy. By the time India went into bat, I was in movie hall. No, that match wasn't a failure for Sachin. If you think chasing 360 is possible against an attack comprising of McGrath, Gillespie and Lee of that time, then you are the one who literally believes that Sachin is GOD.
Greatest ODI player was against greatest ODI team of all time. Contest was made uneven from the word go. Anybody who thinks that anything was left in the match when Sachin went into bat' date= are fooling themselves. Few days back same team was rolled over by same australian for paltry 125, and here I see people who are were backing India to chase 360 in final chase. Height of hypocrisy. By the time India went into bat, I was in movie hall. No, that match wasn't a failure for Sachin. If you think chasing 360 is possible against an attack comprising of McGrath, Gillespie and Lee of that time, then you are the one who literally believes that Sachin is GOD.
Some of you Sachin-fans should really see the 1983 WC finals :giggle: If chasing 360 is a hectic task in modern day cricket, wonder what defending 183 in 55 over game against the greatest team is considered to be :beee:
Some of you Sachin-fans should really see the 1983 WC finals :giggle: If chasing 360 is a hectic task in modern day cricket, wonder what defending 183 in 55 over game against the greatest team is considered to be :beee:
To be fair, upsets are more likely to happen when the favorite team is chasing a low total rather than defending a high one. There is a greater chance of complacency setting in leading to a few lose strokes and suddenly you are 3-4 down with the fielding team on top, which can result in an upset. However, while defending a big score even if you have a poor and complacent 4-5 overs in which you concede 50 runs or so, the dynamics of the game offer a greater chance to pull things back.
Greatest ODI player was against greatest ODI team of all time. Contest was made uneven from the word go. Anybody who thinks that anything was left in the match when Sachin went into bat' date=' are fooling themselves. Few days back same team was rolled over by same australian for paltry 125, and here I see people who are were backing India to chase 360 in final chase. Height of hypocrisy. By the time India went into bat, I was in movie hall. No, that match wasn't a failure for Sachin. If you think chasing 360 is possible against an attack comprising of McGrath, Gillespie and Lee of that time, then you are the one who literally believes that Sachin is GOD.[/quote'] 360 was not worth chasing, wonder if 183 was worth defending against Greenidge, Haynes, Viv, Lloyd, Gomes. Sachin not scoring in that final was not the end of the world but this line of defending that failure makes it worse.
360 was not worth chasing, wonder if 183 was worth defending against Greenidge, Haynes, Viv, Lloyd, Gomes. Sachin not scoring in that final was not the end of the world but this line of defending that failure makes it worse.
++ What's there to defend? He has done very well in Finals other than the two world cup finals. He has done exceptionally well in Semi Finals especially in the World Cup. He hasn't shown up in the World Cup finals. Just move on. What's the point of posting paragraphs after paragraphs regurgitating the same thing? I am sure if you ask Sachin about it, he sure would be regretting not helping his team in those two finals.

WI were restricted to a score lower than 180 while chasing, 4 times in the last 4 years of world cup 1983. While no team ever scored more than 300 against Aus while batting 2nd before 2005. But still chasing 360 was easy pizzy, bowlers did a great job restricting Aus to 359 .. Sachin choked and India lost.

There is a difference between chasing and defending. If ICFers given a choice to put their whole savings on either defending 183 or chasing 360, I know every single person would put money on defending 183. 183 is still a big score, people would put money even to defend 130-140 than chasing 360. Though it is different thing, that it won't be admitted by people over here. India has defended 125 from my memory in ODI cricket against a fairly strong WI team, but how many times we have chased 360. Nobody is honesty going to believe that defending 183 in WC final was as difficult task as chasing 360 against same level of teams.
Ok so we are into glorifying knocks for the sake of it now. 123, by all means is a very miniscule total. 70% of the battle is already won by the team. It takes just a solid openig stand of 30-40 runs to ensure that opposition does not get on top of you. Also, cricket in 1983 was a whole lot different from 1999.
If I am glorifying a knock, then you are degrading an achievement in 83 saying it was a lot different. A WC Final is a final. Pressure was similar.
We are not discussing the records from the "Being human" point of view or from the guts of keeping the spirit of the game alive POV. Sachin did not bat beautifully but he stuck around with luck and grit. Pitch was very slow' date=run scoring was difficult and bowling was good. And I am not hyping up things to make it look good. It was scratchy yet a match tilting one.
Er, Grit ... 4 chances he gave ... you say that as grit. Now that is glorifying in its true sense.