Ponting mocks Indian 'bravado'

Feed

AUSTRALIA captain Ricky Ponting has openly mocked Indian counterpart Mahendra Dhoni and his men for showing false bravado before tomorrow's clash in Chandigarh. More... mocks Indian 'bravado' By Tom Wald October 07, 2007 AUSTRALIA captain Ricky Ponting has openly mocked Indian counterpart Mahendra Dhoni and his men for showing false bravado before tomorrow's clash in Chandigarh. The newly-crowned Twenty20 champions have changed their tune from tough talking to complaining to umpires over "harsh" language from the Australians in last Friday's match in Hyderabad. It continues the ill will that has festered throughout the seven-match series, which Australia leads 2-0 after the opening game was washed out. The Australians will take an unbeatable position in the series with victory at the not very imaginatively-named Sector 16 Stadium tomorrow. Ponting felt the home side had finally shown its true colours when Dhoni made public his complaint over the language used by the Australian skipper and his team at the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium. "It was funny that that was sort of brought up because I sat on the plane yesterday right behind (match referee) Chris Broad and he turned around and actually congratulated me for the way the Australian team had approached that game," he said. "So it was interesting as soon as there was any sort of word said at all on the field, Dhoni ran to the umpires and complained straight away. "So they have gone from one extreme to the other in a matter of a few days." Ponting believed the Indian side's more timid behaviour in the third game was closer to their normal way of playing. "I think what it does say is that India can sort of play their cricket they did for the first two games and then go completely the other way in the other game shows how fake the first part of the series was," he said. Ponting was surprised Dhoni had taken issue with the Australian side's behaviour as the Hyderabad match was considered particularly tame following last Tuesday's tempestuous affair in Cochin. "That is important that we do understand that certainly in terms of the first two games played it was the best by far," Ponting said. "For a referee to actually congratulate me for what has happened on the field does not happen too much, so he made it pretty clear and it was obvious I had talked to the guys to play the game that way." The skipper also reminded Dhoni's men that actions speak louder than words. "Whatever is said in the media doesn't count for anything, it is the actions that you put on the field that matter and that is what I have been proud of with our team so far," he said. Australia is likely to make one change tomorrow with left-arm seamer Nathan Bracken coming in at the expense of an unlucky member of the in-form bowling attack. The pace trio of Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson and Stuart Clark have all been very influential, while spin bowler Brad Hogg has taken key wickets and all rounder James Hopes has come of age in the international scene. The tourists were expected to keep faith with the faltering Brad Hodge ahead of the in-form Brad Haddin. Australian coach Tim Nielsen said: "Hodgey's been a bit stiff, he's missed out a couple of times and he's got a couple of good balls when he's batted up the order and that's the nature of the beast batting up the order. "He went in at Hyderabad when there wasn't a lot of time so he was damned if he did or didn't. "He went well at the T20 tournament and hit the ball well, he's hitting them well in the nets. "He just needs a bit of luck and we'll see him flying along again." AAP

I knew this was coming. India were talking a lot prior to the series and then started to show similar attitude on the ground but in the last match they were running up to the umpires. Dhoni has stumbled here. It was strange to see Sreesanth bowling the ball and hurrying back to his mark to deliver the next ball. Now that Indians have opted for the good old method of good behaviour I hope they continue in that vein. Aussies have won this battle of words IMO by continuing to play aggressive cricket and not retracting once. Indians on the other hand have looked a confused lot not knowing whether to carry on giving back or to behave like kids from private schools with immaculate behaviour and taking any issues to the umpires.

I am sorry but I don't particularly like the part where broad is congratulating george bush juinior Dhoni might be inexperienced but he didn't wanna indulge in the verbal battle anymore Smart move by the aussies but it looks like they can't win games without verbal abuse, its a part of their training I guess Disgusting but gotta live with them P.S Broad is not saint either, he will slap the wrist of an aussie but inject big fines for the Indians, and who the fack is TOM WALD?

Ponting believed the Indian side's more timid behaviour in the third game was closer to their normal way of playing. So they have gone from one extreme to the other in a matter of a few days.
This is toooo much...if our team has read this part, they should keep dozens of bangles ready... if they loose the next match, they must wear and leave playing cricket...huh!
This is toooo much...if our team has read this part' date=' they should keep dozens of bangles ready... if they loose the next match, they must wear and leave playing cricket...huh![/quote'] This is have to be the best quote, unfortuantly they are ready to wear them. Because i already wrote a para about wat kind of sarees they wear.

>>>>It was funny that that was sort of brought up because I sat on the plane yesterday right behind (match referee) Chris Broad and he turned around and actually congratulated me for the way the Australian team had approached that game," he said. The guy is just sore from the beating his cute son got from the Indians......... As for Ponting's rant....lets not insult our intelligence by taking him seriously...he has always been an ass and won't change in a hurry. The best way to deal with such twats is to ignore their rant...if they act up on the field...give it back ...if they overstep...then report them and make enough noise about it to overcome the bias. Stupid brat!

What do you guys want from the captain....? Should he worry about playing cricket or should he try and "out mouth " the gunda Ponting? Ponting can afford to act like this because this bully has the best team in the world backing his big mouth . Dhoni should concentrate on cricket . He doesn't have the luxury to waste his efforts and resources on this stupid juvenile verbal contest.

Kudos to Indian fans again to make their teams look servile woohooo!!! I would much rather see false bravado on the pitch and lose 0-6 than try to score a win here and there with the opposition captain insinuating that the way Indians play their natural game is to be timid and without aggression. xxx

yeah Lurks .... I blame the gutless Indian media and our BCCI babus ... bloody faggots.
Right on. Whoever thought, or still thinks, that a loud mouth like Ponting will play the game in it spirit and be a gentleman is hallucinating. My fear is that Ponting shall take this oppertunity to serve his interest whenever it suits like. So be prepared to hear views like, "Oh India are not mentally tough, look what happened when they tried to act all unnatural" when India tours down under. Of course Indian media and think tanks shall take solace in "we did the right thing"...Moral highground and Indians tsk tsk. xxx

I sadly have to agree with Ponting here. if Dhoni and his men can't take the heat then they should not be standing in the kitchen. They have been talking big a lot before the match and then complaining a lot after the match. Although i also don't like the part where Broad is congratulating ponting over their approach in the game which clearly confirms Broad a biased racist.

you miss the point ... its not that MSD and Co cant handle the heat ... its the double standards of our Media' date='Fans and adminstrators who will drool over the loutish behaviour of aussies but will be first to severly reprimand our own players if they respond in kind .... what sort of bakwas logic is that ?[/quote'] I don't care about that part... my only point is... why are Dhoni, Harbhajan, and Uthapa making all the headlines with all the fruity whining... ponting said this, symonds said that.... can't they take it like men and do the same that they do us... why answer the media questions about what was said on the pitch... what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch. I have not heard any of the big 3 complaining. they have played Aus the most.
This is have to be the best quote' date=' unfortuantly they are ready to wear them. Because i already wrote a para about wat kind of sarees they wear.[/quote'] is it? wheres that para...?
"The team has taken a unanimous decision to talk back if spoken to. We are not going to sit back. But we are not going to initiate any verbal duel," Rajput said.
come on Ponting...this is Desi Tit4Tat!

right on Sidhu....Just give it back to them right there.. Plus unlike big 3 these new bunch lack the power to reply in right way. What ausies want is a word for a word with cracking performance to support. Thats when they go quite. like SRT and RD have done many times. Even SG did great to respond to SW... Dhoni will give it to themmm... just chilax.. we are expecting too much from this team. THey were bound to lose 4-5 games of 7. But couple of wins will be enough for us...