To Symonds, with love, from Barodians

Dravid

Symonds is of Black African decent. Calling a black African a monkey is racist. You put the rest together.
But I thought he was originally from Australia unlike his other team mates! And did the crowd call him a monkey or did they make monkey sound? How is making a monkey sound called a 'racial abuse'? Please explain if you know it as I'm completely ignorant here.

racism in any arena ain't right. but its a bit hypocritical for the aussies to cry foul when the exact same thing happens to indian, sri lankan, paki, bangla, west indies, and basically every other team in australia, and they don't blink an eyelid. very very hypocritical. anyone remember a while back when murali didn't want to go to aust because of the racism - i don't remember people taking his complaints very seriously in australia

Frankly, I don't think the Indian Public knows about Symonds race, and it could be a just a tease which seemed like a racial comment. Again, they won't leave any visiting team..the chants will always be there ..they didn't even leave tendulkar in Mumbai

I don't buy the racism comment, seems like CA is reading into it with their own tinted glasses. Unlike in Australia, where monkey chants to colored people are automatically seen as a racial comment, it is NOT so in India. I've been called a monkey before, i've called some people monkeys before etc. in India and there was zero racial tilt to it- the monkey reference in Indian culture is to do with being mischievious, shameless, annoying, etc etc. Besides, Symonds isnt exactly darker than the average Indian either.

Looks like it was some trash news by the Australian media :

VADODARA, October 12: Both police and the Baroda Cricket Association have vehemently denied that Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds was racially abused during the fifth One-Day International against India here. Vadodara Police Commissioner PC Thakur said that the crowd occasionally chanted "Ganapatibappa Moriya", which might have led to the confusion. Earlier, Australian newspapers claimed Symonds was subjected to monkey chants while fielding on the boundary. "The crowd was chanting that after Indian wickets kept falling. They did not expect their team to lose and did not spare some of the Indian players either. But none uttered a single word against any Australian player," Thakur said. He said police were quick to rush to the tent from where some spectators hurled water bottles onto the ground and the situation was soon brought under control. BCA secretary Rakesh Parikh also dismissed charges of racial abuse. "The crowd chanted 'Ganapatibappa Moriya' hoping for some divine intervention and none of them passed any racial remark against any Australian," he said.
http://cricket.indiatimes.com/BCA_police_deny_racial_abuse_during_fifth_ODI/articleshow/2453780.cms
I don't buy the racism comment' date=' seems like CA is reading into it with their own tinted glasses.[/quote'] Indian board left to deal with Symonds incident Australia won't complain about crowd chants spacer.gif Cricket Australia will let the Indian board take action - if any - over "monkey chants" directed at Andrew Symonds during the fifth one-day match in Vadodara. Cricket Australia has not complained about the incident that occurred on the boundary towards the end of the nine-wicket victory on Thursday and the ICC will wait to see if Chris Broad, the match referee, mentions it in his match report. http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/315237.html