Pakistan now ranked 7th in tests

kabira

It great to see India at no.3. All the away series victories have finally begun to show results. :two_thumbs_up: Saffies at 5 ? thats a bit of a surprise. I wonder who will win , if England and Saffies play a test series NOW , whether in England or SA. My money is on the Saffies.

Only teams I have reservations about are New Zealand and Sri Lanka. As a Pakistani fan, I would feel VERY confident going into a test series against either of those teams. As far as India is concerned, we're almost at the point now that it's hard to determine who is better just by looking at the current head to head matchup (ie the upcoming tour or the tour in 2006). The whole "event" factor of head to head matches means that as long as the difference isn't MASSIVE, there will never be a favorite. For that reason I think you gotta look at performances against other teams. And India takes the cake there easily (beat England in England while we lost, same result against SA in SA but we lost to SA at home while India haven't played them).

Only teams I have reservations about are New Zealand and Sri Lanka. As a Pakistani fan' date=' I would feel VERY confident going into a test series against either of those teams.[/quote'] If you are feeling VERY confident going into a test series against the Sri Lanka , then you are kidding yourself. Lanka has one of the most established batting line-ups with Jayasuriya , Sangakkara, Jayawardene and one of the best strike bowling attack with Malinga , Fernando and Murali. They would be clear favorites for me , if they play against Pakistan.
As far as India is concerned, we're almost at the point now that it's hard to determine who is better just by looking at the current head to head matchup (ie the upcoming tour or the tour in 2006). The whole "event" factor of head to head matches means that as long as the difference isn't MASSIVE, there will never be a favorite.
I would definitely put India slightly ahead in tests. There isnt a lot of the Indian test line-up that needs settling. Pakistan is not even sure what their next eleven is going to be.
For that reason I think you gotta look at performances against other teams. And India takes the cake there easily (beat England in England while we lost, same result against SA in SA but we lost to SA at home while India haven't played them).
I dont think that is sound logic. Pakistan lost to Ireland in the world cup , but won against Sri Lanka in the following one-day series. Does that mean Ireland is favorite when it plays against Sri Lanka ? Agreed tests and one-dayers are different , still the comparison theory doesnt work most times.