So who was better- Miandad or Inzamam?

Perhaps not the ideal time for such comparisons, but they sort of seem inevitable at Inzamam's retirement. Good as Inzamam was, Miandad was better in my books. He had more of a mongrel in him and though much less talented than Inzamam produced some of the most riveting battles of the 70s and 80s. One thing which tilts the scale in favor of Miandad for me was his performance against the best team of their times. Both ended up with mediocre averages against WI and Australia respectively, but the '87 series in the WI when Miandad scored 2 hundreds and helped secure an improbable drawn series against the near invincible WI side at that time, puts him ahead.

I have not watched a lot of Miandad , but of what i have seen of him , he is the typical street-smart cricketer , in complete control of the game. Inzy definitely was the more gifted of the two and he seemed to score his runs despite his tendency to have lapses of concentration. For Miandad , the runs were because of the temperament , while for Inzy they seemed despite it. God knows how much more Inzy would have achieved if he had the mental skills of Miandad.

Inzi without any doubt. JM made a good pak team looked great while Inzi made ; at times below average team, look competitive. Players like Imran nazir, salman butt, sami, rana and above all afridi would never be allowed anywhere close to Pak team till mid 90s. Yet Inzi had to play in a team which features not one but all of them and Pak did alright.

Inzamam had more talent and played effortlessly. Miandad was a grafter not easy on the eyes but had a shrewd cricketing brain - which is why I would rate him as a better cricketer than Inzy. Ofcourse the gap in running between the wickets between the two is enormous :-) I would rate Inzy as a better bat.

Miandad of course. It's not like Miandad didn't have as many shots or range. He was a fantastic batsman and never looked like losing a game. Inzi as good as he is has show at times he looks pretty clueless. Inzi came across as someone that wasn't too serious and win it all at any cost was not the way he played cricket. Miandad was a different type of player, gutsy and never really looked meek not with standing any type of bowling. I rate Miandad as way better than Inzi.

I saw heaps of Miandad and Inzi .... Inzi was by faar the most talented cricketer out of the two .... miandad was a street fighter and maximised his limited talents ... Inzi was a underacheiver but still managed to go neck and neck with Miandad ...
I wouldn't say neck and neck, BB. Inzamam never managed to raise his game against the best in business as Miandad did in that legendary tour to the WI in '86-'87. That itself brings a huge gulf between the two. On the other hand Inzamam was "injured" in 5 out of 7 tests he had the opportunity to play Australia and scored a grand total of 2 runs in the other 2.
came against a Bowling attack that had none of Marshall' date='Garner,Roberts,Holding playing..... Amby and Walsh were still rookies and Patterson was the bowling equivalent of Afridi ..[/quote'] Marshall didn't play the 1st test but was there for the other two and remember WI remained unbeaten at home till '94-'95.
yeah but the Windies of JM's time was the one that had those 4 firing all cylinders ..... and the main reasons for PAks performance in that series was their bowling ...
No doubt about it, bowler win tests always, never disputed it but they need some runs to bowl at and in that low scoring series Miandad's performance was superb.
True but my whole point is that WI team of 87 was not the best team that he played against .... the best team that he played against would have had the great 4 lead by Loyd
I agree.
just as the one during Inzi's time would have been the one lead by Waugh featuring McWarne.
It was Inzamam who shied away from the contest and not McGrath, Warne, or Waugh and even without all of them he could do nothing at Perth or Sydney, when he begged himself into the team.