Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

maniac

She did not have diplomatic immunity, hence she was arrested. Simple binary logic that MTC fails to comprehend.
Russian consular officials also have the same level of immunity as Ms Khobragade but none of those ones charges in the mediclaim fraud have been arrested. Putin's wrath in Moscow gave the house n*gger DA cold feet. So leave the crap about US being driven by moral principles. If there is anything perhaps even most Americans will agree with is that US has never been driven by any principles, it is all about deals and profits.

The last name of the maid and her family could be a reason why she is getting so much cushion in the USA as well as in India.
There are a lot of NGOs , like CSM are behind her financially. I don't think US government cares about the trials of a common maid , if she had a last name like Khobragade!

The difference though is that US cares about ALL its citizens in the US as well despite their social status. I can't imagine India persuading US at this extent if the person in question wasn't a diplomat. US will 9/10 times pursue it even it's not a diplomat and not just from India from almost anyone in the world. Read about a certain 18-year old Michael Fay from US who was accused of car vandalism in Singapore in 1994. According to Singapore's law, Fay was to be caned but the US strongly objected it considering it to be a human rights violation. Two dozen US senators wrote a letter to Singapore appealing for clemency. Even Clinton got involved in it. Singapore didn't budge but US managed to reduce the caning counts from 6 to 4. It almost created a diplomatic problem between the two countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay India does zilch to the dozens of Indian expats in the middle east who are treated like sh!t.
You've got to be kidding me. Have you ever lived in the US to make such a statement ? Why don't you go and ask the impoverished black population whether their government cares for them as much as it does the whites ? Of course, the US has much more resources available to it (per capita) than countries like India. So it can afford to throw its muscle around in foreign countries. But surely, even there it will depend on whether the citizen is a diplomat. Had a US consular officer been publicly flogged in Singapore, US would have broken off all its ties with Singapore (at the very least).

One can blame the US of applying the law selectively but I don't get the line of reasoning - You left the Russians' date=' you leave us too. Rather it should be - Prosecute the Russians, if you prosecute us. Subtle difference.[/quote']While not using this reasoning, it tells us how much the US values ties with India vis-a-vis other countries. US and India have pretty much a transactional relationship, nothing more. Certainly not a strategic partnership. The very least Indian govt can do is to stop using this meaningless phrase. Furthermore, it does also lays to rest any possibility of US being driven by principles in prosecuting Ms Khobragade.

Russian consular officials also have the same level of immunity as Ms Khobragade but none of those ones charges in the mediclaim fraud have been arrested. Putin's wrath in Moscow gave the house n*gger DA cold feet. So leave the crap about US being driven by moral principles. If there is anything perhaps even most Americans will agree with is that US has never been driven by any principles, it is all about deals and profits.
Were the Russian diplomats crimes as grave as visa fraud, exploitation and/or human trafficking? I think not. A consular official does not enjoy the same level of immunity as a diplomat. From what I understand, she was a glorified paper pusher working under an exaggerated title. If you be believe DK to enjoy diplomatic immunity, you can also make a case for the receptionist sitting at the front desk filtering out phone calls to also enjoy diplomatic immunity :gossip:

Missing the point again and again and again. When US diplomats get away with even MURDER,m why should any self respecting country allow US to prosecute their diplomats? The case was sue moto in Indian high court and US government was informed well in advance But keep trying, you might get the point one day
So are US the benchmark for us ?

Were the Russian diplomats crimes as grave as visa fraud, exploitation and/or human trafficking? I think not. A consular official does not enjoy the same level of immunity as a diplomat. From what I understand, she was a glorified paper pusher working under an exaggerated title. If you be believe DK to enjoy diplomatic immunity, you can also make a case for the receptionist sitting at the front desk filtering out phone calls to also enjoy diplomatic immunity :gossip:
So you and US gets to decide what's a grave crime under VCCR. Cut the boner trolls. Visa fraud + human trafficking charges are baseless in this case. This is done in general by all countries' consular staff- see some ex=consular staff videos. VCCR is a guideline, it's a murky line, one interprets it different way based on courtesies extended to each other. India was going out of the way to impress US consular officials in India - traffic barricades, airport pass to clear security, booze import licenses, etc. The Pete Bhakara should have considered before a body cavity search. US marshalls might have rules, but not to foreign consular staff. What kind of objects were they expected to find in her body crevices? I think Indians went haywire after knowing she went through stripsearch. Before that, the media posturing was a lot milder.

Amazing double speak here. The uncle tom DA says that Khobragade was arrested because that is what would happen to an American citizen. Pray tell us, would an American citizen not be arrested if he/she was part of a $1.5 million mediclaim fraud ? Everyone knows that the State Dept stepped in to prevent any Russian officials from being arrested. And in the 1980s the USA provide a Saudi Prince retro-active diplomatic immunity for actual human trafficking crimes.
In April 1982, about three weeks after the failed search, the State Department granted Abdulaziz and his family full diplomatic immunity. The prince withdrew his suit against Dade County and moved to dismiss the county's counterclaims, arguing that his diplomatic status shielded him from the suit. Despite arguments by Dade County that Abdulaziz hadn't been a credentialed diplomat when his guards blocked police from entering his house, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld dismissal of the counterclaims, holding that the prince had been eligible for diplomatic status at the time of the botched raid, even if he hadn't yet received it. In effect, the ruling endorsed the concept of retroactive immunity. Skeptics later accused the State Department of kowtowing to the Saudi royal family, but that hardly mattered to Abdulaziz, who faced neither criminal nor civil consequences from allegedly detaining a woman against her will and blocking a police investigation. http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE9BI05N20131219?irpc=932
So, USA has previously granted retro-active immunity from a case of human trafficking - to a Saudi Prince of course. But no, for the modern day Gunga Dins, the USA is the embodiment of law and justice.

So you and US gets to decide what's a grave crime under VCCR. Cut the boner trolls. Visa fraud + human trafficking charges are baseless in this case. This is done in general by all countries' consular staff- see some ex=consular staff videos. VCCR is a guideline, it's a murky line, one interprets it different way based on courtesies extended to each other. India was going out of the way to impress US consular officials in India - traffic barricades, airport pass to clear security, booze import licenses, etc. The Pete Bhakara should have considered before a body cavity search. US marshalls might have rules, but not to foreign consular staff. What kind of objects were they expected to find in her body crevices? I think Indians went haywire after knowing she went through stripsearch. Before that, the media posturing was a lot milder.
Didn't we have this discussion before? Strip search is standard operating procedures for every alleged criminal, rich or poor. The person could be hiding something which they can than use to either harm others or harm themselves. Makes perfect sense to dispose of it. I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that Preet Bharara and company spent months and months investigating this issue before deciding to act. You don't just wake up one day and arrest the consular official of a supposed ally on a whim.

Amazing double speak here. The uncle tom DA says that Khobragade was arrested because that is what would happen to an American citizen. Pray tell us, would an American citizen not be arrested if he/she was part of a $1.5 million mediclaim fraud ? Everyone knows that the State Dept stepped in to prevent any Russian officials from being arrested. And in the 1980s the USA provide a Saudi Prince retro-active diplomatic immunity for actual human trafficking crimes. So, USA has previously granted retro-active immunity from a case of human trafficking - to a Saudi Prince of course. But no, for the modern day Gunga Dins, the USA is the embodiment of law and justice.
I am not sure why you think I support the US' actions in the examples you highlighted. I have said nothing to this effect anywhere. I think they should be prosecuted. Since you live in the US, you can ask them why they chose the path they did :two_thumbs_up:

This whole case is a US conspiracy from the beginning. Sangeeta Richard's in-laws last worked for Uzra Zeya,who is now US Asstnt Sectretary--Bureau of Democracy/HumanRights/Labor in the USA. It was Sangeeta Richards who approached Devyani Kobragade for employment. It was Sangeeta Richards who insisted on the second contract as a means to reassure her that Rs 30,000 pm will be paid to her family while she works for Devyani Khobragade in the USA. Sangeeta's in laws worked for the US embassy (in particular for someone involved in HR/Labor issues). These person(s) in the US embassy orchestrated the whole thing.

I am not sure why you think I support the US' actions in the examples you highlighted. I have said nothing to this effect anywhere. I think they should be prosecuted. Since you live in the US, you can ask them why they chose the path they did :two_thumbs_up:
I don't.

This whole case is a US conspiracy from the beginning. Sangeeta Richard's in-laws last worked for Uzra Zeya,who is now US Asstnt Sectretary--Bureau of Democracy/HumanRights/Labor in the USA. It was Sangeeta Richards who approached Devyani Kobragade for employment. It was Sangeeta Richards who insisted on the second contract as a means to reassure her that Rs 30,000 pm will be paid to her family while she works for Devyani Khobragade in the USA. Sangeeta's in laws worked for the US embassy (in particular for someone involved in HR/Labor issues). These person(s) in the US embassy orchestrated the whole thing.
:haha: I mean we all here are adding appropriate qualifiers "IF DK did it", "IF US DA has said that.." but you seem to know the in/out of the conspiracy theory!

:haha: I mean we all here are adding appropriate qualifiers "IF DK did it"' date=' "IF US DA has said that.." but you seem to know the in/out of the conspiracy theory![/quote']Just like I don't need to use qualifiers to say that ISI orchestrated 26/11, even though the US may not accept it and their state department may intervene to stop court proceedings in NY against the ISI chief initiated by victims of 26/11. Oops ... did I just stumble upon yet another case of US govt "upholding law and justice" ?

Amazing double speak here. The uncle tom DA says that Khobragade was arrested because that is what would happen to an American citizen. Pray tell us, would an American citizen not be arrested if he/she was part of a $1.5 million mediclaim fraud ? Everyone knows that the State Dept stepped in to prevent any Russian officials from being arrested. And in the 1980s the USA provide a Saudi Prince retro-active diplomatic immunity for actual human trafficking crimes. So, USA has previously granted retro-active immunity from a case of human trafficking - to a Saudi Prince of course. But no, for the modern day Gunga Dins, the USA is the embodiment of law and justice.
Human Trafficking? LOL.That Saudi guy was holding a woman againist her will.When Dade county police went to free her and arrest the Saudi guy,his army of bodyguards fought with the police and the police had to retreat.And then US gave the idiot retroactive immunity.No doubt Saudi's put unrelenting pressure on US.If Pappu had done the same US would do the same for him also. The point is to not relent.

Human Trafficking? LOL.That Saudi guy was holding a woman againist her will.When Dade county police went to free her and arrest the Saudi guy,his army of bodyguards fought with the police and the police had to retreat.And then US gave the idiot retroactive immunity.No doubt Saudi's put unrelenting pressure on US.If Pappu had done the same US would do the same for him also. The point is to not relent.
Yes it was human trafficking plus a whole lot more. And a genuine case as well unlike the made up sh*t Ms Khobragade is facing. But no, US is a saint .. they treat everyone the same .. bla bla .. give me a break!!

Yes it was human trafficking plus a whole lot more. And a genuine case as well unlike the made up sh*t Ms Khobragade is facing. But no, US is a saint .. they treat everyone the same .. bla bla .. give me a break!!
Hats off to you for still, after so many pages, trying to make people see the right perspective.