Australian Open 2014 - Stan Wawrinka beats Rafa in the final

Cricketics

Feck' date=' it is a mystery as to why Fed does so poorly against Nadal. Yes his game has waned of late, but still he should at least be winning a set.[/quote'] Especially when Dmitrov won a set and took two sets to tie breakers. Think it's a combination of a)Nadal being in Federer's head b)Nadal's game - his one-handed back hand gets smashed by those powerful Nadal forehands and at this age he just isn't going to win a baseline confrontation with Nadal. Nadal also seems to raise his game to absurd levels against Federer. A peak Federer would have been troubled by how he played today.

Similar to when Indians claim Tendulkar is better than Bradman. Nadal is not fit to lick Rod Laver's boots. Just cause Laver played before and at the start of the Open Era, doesn't mean you can ignore his achievements.
This is called ignorance of the highest order. Federer has been terned as the GOAT for no reason. And when someone beats him on a regular basis, that player has to be special. To hell with artistic tennis and stuff. Rafa surely is in the top 3 of all times and who knows may end up as the best. I think it's also a bit hypocritical. When players win multiple wimbledon titles, it's termed godly but when someone wins FO, he's termed as just another clay courtier. It's a bit like how asian batsmen are treated isn't it? When players outside SC fail here, it's ok but the vice-versa is never accepted. I think it's high time you grow up and accept.You childish claims seem all the more childish now with each and every slam that Rafa plays!

Especially when Dmitrov won a set and took two sets to tie breakers. Think it's a combination of a)Nadal being in Federer's head b)Nadal's game - his one-handed back hand gets smashed by those powerful Nadal forehands and at this age he just isn't going to win a baseline confrontation with Nadal. Nadal also seems to raise his game to absurd levels against Federer. A peak Federer would have been troubled by how he played today.
I think Federer is too good a player tobe bothered by the latter. Yes he struggled in the initial days. My take is that he's always a bit unsure about how to play against Rafa. When he wants to play attacking tennis, he has his maximum chances but playing against Rafa is like playing against a wall coz he returns almost everything. So,he tends to choose the wrong moment to go for the winner and invariably fails. Sometimes when he looks to play attritional tennis, he struggles even more as it's just not his game isn't it?

Rafa is the perfect match up to counter fed's game,there is no mystery..add to that after his initial losses to Nadal,he developed a mental block against Nadal..fed has never known to be clutch in pressure situations compared to rafa or nole(who is absolutely brilliant) ,so if things are going wrong,most often fed would lose,most specifics are the semis loss to Novak in FO 2012,semis loss to Novak in 2008 where he couldn't even put up a fight!!

Purely because of the age factor.
Not so simple. A teenager Nadal who was a mediocre player on hard courts was beating Federer who was at his best on hard courts. Nadal is a much improved hard court player now. Besides the age factor doesn't seem to work the same way against Novak, Murray and basically every other player on tour.

Pistol Pete on Nadal. Two of my favorite players, both have balls of steel--clutch as ****. When the legends speak who cares about butthurt insecure fanboys :haha: Pete Sampras stunned by 'incredible' Rafael Nadal Tennis legend Pete Sampras described Rafael Nadal as "incredible" after watching the world number one live for the first time at the Australian Open. Nadal, 27, faces Stanislas Wawrinka in Sunday's final, and a win will see him equal Sampras's 14 Grand Slam titles. "I think he's incredible," Sampras told BBC Sport. "I saw him play live for the first time on Friday night and the movement he has is incredible." "He's able to adjust his shots on the run. I've never seen anything like it." Sampras, 42, ended his career in 2002 with a record 14 major singles titles, only for Roger Federer to surpass him and amass 17 in his career to date. And Nadal is widely expect to draw level with the American on Sunday when he takes on Federer's fellow Swiss Wawrinka, playing in his first major final. Sampras arrived in Melbourne on Friday in time to see the Spaniard beat Federer in straight sets in the semi-finals. "To see him play - he hits a very heavy ball, serves pretty well, he does everything," said the seven-time Wimbledon champion, who will present the trophy to the winner on Sunday, 20 years on from the first of his two Australian victories. "He's mentally tough - he has the whole package." And Sampras is in little doubt that Nadal, who will go for a ninth French Open title in June, has many more Grand Slam titles in him. "He's not looking at 14, he's looking beyond," said Sampras. Nadal is looking to equal Pete Sampras' 14 Grand Slam titles with victory in Sunday's final "Realistically, he could very well get 17, 18 majors when it's all said and done. He's a credit to the sport. I'm a fan." Wawrinka beat three-time defending champion Novak Djokovic in the quarter-finals, but he has not taken a set off Nadal in 12 previous meetings. "Stan's very talented, he hits the ball well, but I'm just not sure he has the firepower from the back court," said Sampras. "He's going to be dealing with Rafa, he's going to be dealing with his nerves - first major [final], he's going to be nervous, so he needs to settle down and work is way into the match. "But he's up against a tough guy, I think it's just a touch match-up for him. "If he's able to come in a little bit, put a little bit of pressure on Rafa, flatten out his ball, maybe - but I just think Rafa's playing too well." http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/25893964

Purely because of the age factor.
True. Federer could rake up some victories against Nadal early in Nadal's career as he still was a growing teenager and was maturing as all-round player. Out of Federer's 10 victories, 6 came before Nadal touched 21 (2007 or before). In last 6 years Federer has got only 4 victories against him. It is clear if they were of the same age group, h2h would have been even more lop-sided.

Guys, Federer is done like Tendulkar was 2 years back. I had called it out on ICF to receive the usual abuses! There is no way Federer will win a match off Nasal today, but the fact that Nasal could not bother Federer on anything other than clay when both were young tells me enough of a story!

Guys' date=' Federer is done like Tendulkar was 2 years back. I had called it out on ICF to receive the usual abuses! There is no way Federer will win a match off Nasal today, but the fact that Nasal could not bother Federer on anything other than clay when both were young tells me enough of a story![/quote'] lol..you clearly need to learn a bit about Tennis. He leads Federer on (open) hard courts 8-2. 5 times they played after Federer turning 30 and 5 times before that. Either side of Federer's 30's, record was 4-1. two questions which no Federer-bhakts willing to answer are? 1. At what age Federer became too old? 2. At what age Nadal stopped being too young? A Federer fan's answers to these questions are. 1. 26 2. 16.

I think Federer is too good a player tobe bothered by the latter.
I think that B in Dil Dil's post is a huge factor. Also a reason why Novak and to a lesser extent Andy can stick with Rafa is the physicality, Federer has never had Novakesque stamina or flexibility not even at his peak let alone now to live with Rafa in baseline exchanges Has Lendl inspired Andy version 2.0 faced Rafa yet? That will be some match up once he picks up full match fitness