Nfl - The Superbowl

Cricketics

It's an analogy. *If* football were camphor, *then* the haters would be kazhudai. If you don't like a sport, there is no reason to disparage it. Every sport has a charm, something to enjoy. One may not like it, but that don't make it "shyte." I actually don't enjoy basketball, soccer and baseball much. They all require tremendous skill, strength, speed and athletic ability, but somehow, I don't enjoy them much. Cricket and football, each for very different reasons, are my passion!
I don't disparage it. I just hate it. But lot of my friends are the types who are forced to like this through peer pressure. It is like they have to discuss it with them next day in the office in the coffee shop.

How many minutes are actually spent on playing football in superbowl? All I saw was commercials, people running on to pitch to give instructions and all sorts, pundits in the studio talking and countless replays
No one runs to the pitch to give instructions. Yes there are commercials, but only when there is stoppage of play which includes 3 timeouts each half per team, when refs/teams go for replay, when a player gets injured, end of quarter, 2 minute warning (per half), end of a drive (scoring, punt, etc) and may be a few other instances.

Average time the ball is in play is 11 minutes. This is one of the most commercial driven event.
I thought the same about football till a few years ago, when i approached it with a new outlook. FYI, the average time in a game where the pieces are in motion in chess is less than a few minutes. Doesn't mean chess isnt an extremely cerebral game. Football is actually chess, played by muscular men on steriods, with a far greater sense of fairplay and camaraderie than any other contact sport out there. They dont fight like hockey or try to break each other's shins like in field hockey. The game is a game of tactics and execution. It isn't an exgaggeration when the QB is often compared to a general leading his troops. For every single decision in a football field is that of crucial importance. It is no coincidence that football scores are predicted by the bookies with far greater precision than any other team sport.

FYI' date=' the average time in a game where the pieces are in motion in chess is less than a few minutes. Doesn't mean chess isnt an extremely cerebral game.[/quote'] Chess is not a sport, I doubt chess has even 1/100th of the audience that "American Football" has anywhere in the world. It is a game and you can't compare a game to a spectator sport. I suppose you couldn't really compare to any other sport because every other sport is superior in that sense. Please stop calling it football, it's "American Football" because much of it, most of it in fact is not played with feet. It's not very difficult to get the predictions wrong when the game time is only 11 mins as someone above said. You're not selling the sport very well are you? I mean you're basically saying it's a game of chess played by big men on steroids, the game play is only 11 mins split over 3 hours so you can do 100 other things in that time and no miss much. You're also saying the scores and results are very predictable. Who would want to waste their time on such crap then?

Chess is not a sport, I doubt chess has even 1/100th of the audience that "American Football" has anywhere in the world. It is a game and you can't compare a game to a spectator sport. I suppose you couldn't really compare to any other sport because every other sport is superior in that sense. Please stop calling it football, it's "American Football" because much of it, most of it in fact is not played with feet. It's not very difficult to get the predictions wrong when the game time is only 11 mins as someone above said. You're not selling the sport very well are you? I mean you're basically saying it's a game of chess played by big men on steroids, the game play is only 11 mins split over 3 hours so you can do 100 other things in that time and no miss much. You're also saying the scores and results are very predictable. Who would want to waste their time on such crap then?
Its called Football because it is foot long. Nothing to do with feet.

...the game play is only 11 mins split over 3 hours so you can do 100 other things in that time and no miss much ... Who would want to waste their time on such crap then?
Assuming you are a cricket fan, this comment makes no sense. How many minutes is the ball in play in cricket? 0.5 seconds - ball to get to batsman even with Vinay Kumar's bowling 0.1 seconds - bat strikes ball 8-10 seconds on some balls - fielder chases and reaches the ball, throws it in etc. But 50% of the balls are dots. So, let's be generous and say 5 seconds per ball on average. 30 seconds per over. 90 overs in a day equates to 45 minutes of play-time in 8 hours. The rest of the time, you watch the ball go from fielder to fielder to bowler, balls rubbed on groins, batsmen fidgeting with their gloves and pads, captains yelling "Shabash," bowlers walking to the top of their bowling mark, random women that the cameraman takes a fancy for, players changing sides after every over, Prem Jyotish ads etc. And I enjoy every moment of it with the exception of the Prem Jyotish ads. I assume you put up with that, too. From that point of view, football should is no different. Now, a cricket fan may dislike football for a variety of reasons (too many ads, steroid infused giants, too violent etc.), or for no particular reason at all. But, "in-play time" is not one of them.

It's not very difficult to get the predictions wrong when the game time is only 11 mins as someone above said. You're not selling the sport very well are you? I mean you're basically saying it's a game of chess played by big men on steroids, the game play is only 11 mins split over 3 hours so you can do 100 other things in that time and no miss much. You're also saying the scores and results are very predictable. Who would want to waste their time on such crap then?
Assuming your stats are correct, football has 11 minutes gametime in a 1 hour long game. So how long of a game time is in cricket ? Its probably 1 hour per day of cricket at most! so why are the cricket predictions a coin toss ? The scores and results are not predictable, the spread is. Usually bookies will say stuff like 'The Patriots by 3' And it would usually be a game where the Patriots don't necessarily win but they dont lose by more than 4-5 either. And if they win, more often than not, its by 3-5 if the prediction is 'by 3'. This is because, for extremely fanatic aficionados, football is like a war- every weapon is analyzed, its counter (if present) in the opposition is taken into consideration, likely plays and unlikely 'hail mary' plays are taken into consideration etc. Doesn't mean 99.9999% of fans can come up with such predictions or even if they do, its gonna be boring. Football to me, is actually more enjoyable than cricket. Because it is a team sport that has everything. Finesse, skill, brute force, strategy & tactics.

For people who do not understand Football (NFL Variety), would be one of the most boring sports ever. I get it. But to me once you get to know the game, understand the nuances, rules, little bit of X's and O's, this game can simply be addictive. To me the design of the game is perfect. I do not know how they got it so right. Being a cricket fanatic, I can say it is the most strategic game, out there. When you see the number of coaches out there under the head coach, you will know why so many minds are needed to attack and counter-attack. It is a pretty much a chess match-up or if you bring the physical part of it into play, it is a battle out there in the trenches. No offense but in comparison rest of the sports are so predictable. To me this sport deserves all the hype it gets. I think they should declare the day after the Super bowl a national holiday, instead of 80% of males calling in sick. It is really sickening they have not considered it in all these years, and passed a legislation. If they give me the power for a day, that will be first thing I will take care of, before banning the guns.

For people who do not understand Football (NFL Variety), would be one of the most boring sports ever. I get it. But to me once you get to know the game, understand the nuances, rules, little bit of X's and O's, this game can simply be addictive. To me the design of the game is perfect. I do not know how they got it so right. Being a cricket fanatic, I can say it is the most strategic game, out there. When you see the number of coaches out there under the head coach, you will know why so many minds are needed to attack and counter-attack. It is a pretty much a chess match-up or if you bring the physical part of it into play, it is a battle out there in the trenches. No offense but in comparison rest of the sports are so predictable. To me this sport deserves all the hype it gets. I think they should declare the day after the Super bowl a national holiday, instead of 80% of males calling in sick. It is really sickening they have not considered it in all these years, and passed a legislation. If they give me the power for a day, that will be first thing I will take care of, before banning the guns.
You had me till banning guns Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2

Rugby is much better. So does the Association Football or soccer.