Please do not complain when the Indian players get abused down under!!

I still don't get how some people calling symonds a monkey be racist...if it is because he is supposedly black...then the morons taunting him were darker... Most people in India would not even consider him to be "black" It is his strange hairstyle and that white lipstick that makes him look different.That plus the provocation by symonds with his stupid jealous talk. I wonder if Indians living outside of India are more sensitive about the issue .......

"if it is because he is supposedly black...then the morons taunting him were darker... " radhika ji, it came from the specific features related to an afircan/african look. you either get it or don't get it. Its ingenuous to think they got this monkey idea from any other source. i have seen africans or african americans being ridiculed this way long before i knew the name "symonds". It is racist because they are taking advantage of his looks, highly influenced by race ofcourse.

Young india ...do you live in india? I find symonds antics on the field and his verbal outbursts off field as abnoxious as the monkey chants or actions. It is amusing how his behavior or the boorish behaviourof other australians is acceptable because it doesn't fit into the "racist tag". I see the aussie boorish behaviour racist because it comes with their assumption that some how they can do what they what because they are superior to all others. That to me is racist. Which other team behaves like that? Cricketers in India get the best hospitality and are treated like royalty.The aussies are also treated better than they would be any place else.But Mr. symonds has done nothing but complain about this "difficult " place. That seems racist to me . What about that? He finds monkey chants racist...I find his attitude racist!

Referring to a dark colored man as a monkey/primate and making primate noises is RACIST.....you can sugar coat it any way want, but it cannot stop the racist stench......it is a universal racist caricature......I think Symonds got singled out becuase of his skin color (he is the darkest in the Aussie side) , his WI/aborginal background, his hairstyle and the fact that he got under the skin of the crowd. Abusing him is OK, but monkey chants are not OK in my book. I ADMIT AUSSIE CROWDS ARE WORSE.................and India will get a lot of it later this year more so because of this......however, it is true that Ponting did make official statements (whether he believes it or not is another thing) that racism on cricket grounds (on the field and in the stands) are not acceptable last time when SA toured Australia. CA even took extra steps to install security guards who were ordered to throw any spectator out and banning him for life who was yelling racial abuse to players. I am not saying it worked bu the intent was there. Funny thing is that you almost never see this in a sports arena in America..........Hmmmm!
Wow ! I guess you have not been to a NFL/basketball/MLB game and hear the abuses being hurled there !

The Ape In Us Indian fans can be just as racist as any other The photograph said it: Men and women, seemingly belonging to the educated middle class, mimicking monkeys as Andrew Symonds walked out to bat in Mumbai on Wednesday. Four spectators, including a woman, have since been arrested on charges of harassment and misbehaviour. BCCI officials have sought to underplay the incident. Prior to the Mumbai incident, spectators in Vadodara targeted Symonds in a similar manner and that city’s police chief, without a trace of irony, said they were invoking Lord Hanuman. For the lord’s sake, let’s not be apologetic about rotten eggs in our midst. Of course, not all Indians are racist, but there are many who openly display racial prejudices. They should be told in clear terms that there is no place for such behaviour in a liberal democracy. Australian bloggers have said they will take the cue from our fans when India tours Australia in December this year. That too is unacceptable, because racism, whatever the provocation, is uncivilised. Cricket Australia officials should take the threat seriously, since the South African as well as English teams had accused Australian fans of racism in the past. Is there any reason to believe that the racist acts in Vadodara and Mumbai were simply hostile antics, as BCCI chief Sharad Pawar has claimed? No, especially since the target all the time was Symonds, who is of West Indian origin. Yes, he was smashing Indian bowlers all over the park. But so did Matthew Hayden and Ricky Ponting. Even bowlers like Mitchell Johnson and Brad Hogg, who exposed the limitations of Indian batsmen, were not harassed. We wonder if the boors who saw a monkey in Symonds realised they were insulting one of the finest one-day players of all time, an all-rounder any team in the world would be proud to have in their ranks. The real ape — though apes may object to this — is the one who has not evolved into understanding that everyone has a right to respect and dignity irrespective of ethnicity and skin colour. Indian cricket fans are changing. They increasingly resemble football fans in European stadiums. Cricket, for them, is a carnival where ribaldry and raucousness have a free run. As long as it’s clean fun, it’s fine. But these fans are representative of a society which secretly admires fair skin. Just look at our matrimonial adverts. Many sociologists and political activists also say caste prejudice among Indians is nothing but racism. So, let us not be in denial, but recognise the malaise

How do you know they were ALL Parsis ? also are you saying that Symonds is easily identifiable as a Black and that he is not "whiter" than a avg Indian ?
they had flashed their names in the paper well educated ones working at that so th e fact that symmonds was black and all that racial thing was published in the papaers after the vadodara incident .......
ohh come on ... there is about 3 or 4 guys in our team itself that are darker than him .... and BTW what about the guys from the Sri Lankan team ... are we saying that we abuse them as well or infact the WI team ?
Arrey boss skin-color is irrelevant these days with all the inter-racial marriages, it's the features that categorize (if you must) a person into being a negroid/african-american/whatever. If you follow american politics you must've noticed the huge bru-ha-ha that ensued over Harold Ford. He's whiter than 95% Indians, but he's classified as an African American :P Harold ford : harold_ford.jpg