Malaysian airlines mystery

Number

If so' date=' then why search over Malaaca Strait?[/quote'] From what I understand, the Malaysian Armed Forces are not sure if the blip on their radar was definitely MH370 .... But they did see a blip, so the possibilities (even remote) of MH370 taking a detour still exists

Malaysia-CIA_WFB_Map.png Based on the info available, below is one of the scenarios: ^ I looked at the list of airports in Malaysia. Both Kota Baharu (Gulf of Thailand) and George Town (Strait of Malacca) have airports. The plane was last seen (on radar) near Kota Baharu. There were reports of some fishermen sighting airplane lights in that area as well. If the plane was in trouble, it would make sense for the pilot to turn to Kota Baharu (which was relatively closer than either KL or Saigon from the plane's location). To land, the plane may need to communicate with the airport (Kota Baharu in this case), but it appears as if the communication system on the plane were malfunctioning (probably explain why it was hard to track the plane). The pilot may have been trying to fix that. To gain time to fix the problem, may be they headed to George Town (which is little farther from Kota Baharu). By the time, the plane reached George Town, its communication system were still down (as no contact made to the airport). To gain more time, the plane than probably headed farther in to the Straight. May be there was a plan to pull of an emergency landing like the one on Hudson, if required. Or just hover around till the system was fixed .... May be the crew did go for an emergency landing (situation deteriorating on the plane) or the disaster stuck sooner than expected by the crew. If the plane went right in to the ocean, it explains why it is hard to find debris .... If this is the case, hats-off to the crew for fighting it out under circumstances where everything that could go wrong, probably went wrong In the meantime:
Malaysia asked India to join the expanding search for the missing Boeing 777 near the Andaman Sea — far to the northwest of its last reported position and a further sign Wednesday that authorities have no idea where the plane might be more than four days after it vanished.
The time is running out - the black box stays active for 30 days A company has crowdsourced the search, so those of you who are interested in helping out can get more information HERE Preparing for the worst, but hoping for some cheerful news to come in

^ I looked at the list of airports in Malaysia. Both Kota Baharu (Gulf of Thailand) and George Town (Strait of Malacca) have airports. The plane was last seen (on radar) near Kota Baharu. There were reports of some fishermen sighting airplane lights in that area as well. If the plane was in trouble, it would make sense for the pilot to turn to Kota Baharu (which was relatively closer than either KL or Saigon from the plane's location). To land, the plane may need to communicate with the airport (Kota Baharu in this case), but it appears as if the communication system on the plane were malfunctioning (probably explain why it was hard to track the plane). The pilot may have been trying to fix that. To gain time to fix the problem, may be they headed to George Town (which is little farther from Kota Baharu). By the time, the plane reached George Town, its communication system were still down (as no contact made to the airport). To gain more time, the plane than probably headed farther in to the Straight. May be there was a plan to pull of an emergency landing like the one on Hudson, if required. Or just hover around till the system was fixed .... May be the crew did go for an emergency landing (situation deteriorating on the plane) or the disaster stuck sooner than expected by the crew. If the plane went right in to the ocean, it explains why it is hard to find debris .... If this is the case, hats-off to the crew for fighting it out under circumstances where everything that could go wrong, probably went wrong
Lets go with ur situation... Why dint the pilot not try to land either in khota bharu or george town?? he could have made an emergency landing even if he doesnt have any communication with the ATC. safer than crash landing in some unkown remote area

Lets go with ur situation... Why dint the pilot not try to land either in khota bharu or george town?? he could have made an emergency landing even if he doesnt have any communication with the ATC. safer than crash landing in some unkown remote area
My assumption is that it is very hard to land w/o proper communications with the ATC. An emergency landing could cost more lives (not just on the plane). Imagine another plane either trying to land or take off as well .... In this case, a relevant question to ask probably is why not use cellphone to communicate the situation. Probably the plane was flying low enough to get the cell phone reception Another decision for the crew to make would have been emergency landing on land vs. sea. Here is a link on water landing, and it has been pulled off successfully on many occasions There are no perfect answers, which is why this is such a mystery - No plane has ever been lost for so long

My assumption is that it is very hard to land w/o proper communications with the ATC. An emergency landing could cost more lives (not just on the plane). Imagine another plane either trying to land or take off as well .... In this case, a relevant question to ask probably is why not use cellphone to communicate the situation. Probably the plane was flying low enough to get the cell phone reception Another decision for the crew to make would have been emergency landing on land vs. sea. Here is a link on water landing, and it has been pulled off successfully on many occasions There are no perfect answers, which is why this is such a mystery - No plane has ever been lost for so long
are you sure of that? I have read on reddit that other than Hudson there has never been any water landing of a wide bodied commercial plane. Also it's easier to land plane relatively calm water of river than in the rough water of sea. Landing on land is considered many-many times safer than landing in sea under any circumstances.

are you sure of that? I have read on reddit that other than Hudson there has never been any water landing of a wide bodied commercial plane. Also it's easier to land plane relatively calm water of river than in the rough water of sea. Landing on land is considered many-many times safer than landing in sea under any circumstances.
I am not an expert. But we do not know either the exact condition of the plane or the circumstances to pinpoint what would have been safer. MH370's situation may have been unique. Also in a panic situation, the crew would not have the time to consider all variables in detail Landing on land could be safer w/ the communications intact and the plane functioning properly (including the landing gear). Here the assumption is that the plane and its communications system were malfunctioning. A lot of factors to look into for example landing on land vs. water without engine functioning, fully functioning landing gear, etc. However, I would assume is that the pilot wanted to land first at Kota Baharu, then at George Town. The key questions here are: What would have prevented him from doing so? Did the plane crash or did he get in to an avoidable situation where he had to land on water and things went wrong (even more) .... PS Another fact that is baffling is how things started to happen preciously when ATC in Malaysia signed off, and those in Vietnam were expected to take over

There were reports that the plane landed in Nanning then it came out that it was a rumor. Chinese media doesn't really have much freedom. Is it possible that the plane has landed there hijacked and Chinese and Malaysian govt. are negotiating with them keeping the whole thing secret ? Conspiracy theory though..

There were reports that the plane landed in Nanning then it came out that it was a rumor. Chinese media doesn't really have much freedom. Is it possible that the plane has landed there and Chinese and Malaysian govt. are negotiating with them keeping the whole thing secret ? Conspiracy theory though..
In that case, it wouldn't make sense to involve so many countries in an extended and expansive search operations. I am not sure if such a search (and possible rescue) mission has been undertaken in the past

In that case' date=' it wouldn't make sense to involve so many countries in an extended and expansive search operations. I am not sure if such a search (and possible rescue) mission has been undertaken in the past[/quote'] That's true. :((

@Rett... I guess if all their systems failed... then they were operating the plane manually and blindly.. they had no access to GPS so were just searching for an airport... It being night even they might have not known ehere they were going... They might have taken a u turn and may have hoped to find an airport or a safe place to land, but int he dark...and with no communication, GPS etc.. ud have been an impossible task

@Rett... I guess if all their systems failed... then they were operating the plane manually and blindly.. they had no access to GPS so were just searching for an airport... It being night even they might have not known ehere they were going... They might have taken a u turn and may have hoped to find an airport or a safe place to land, but int he dark...and with no communication, GPS etc.. ud have been an impossible task
Yeah, it is hard to imagine the pressure the crew must have been in under these circumstances What is also baffling is how things started to happen preciously during the period when ATC in Malaysia signed off, and those in Vietnam were expected to take over

Yeah, it is hard to imagine the pressure the crew must have been in under these circumstances What is also baffling is how things started to happen preciously during the period when ATC in Malaysia signed off, and those in Vietnam were expected to take over
cud it be that the pilot pressed a switch/button intending to switch over to the vietnam side, which resulted in some fuse exploding and knocking out all electicity on the plane or something? :sherlock: (I know am just adding to the conspiracy theories flyin around)

In that case' date=' it wouldn't make sense to involve so many countries in an extended and expansive search operations. I am not sure if such a search (and possible rescue) mission has been undertaken in the past[/quote'] But without involvement of so many countries and without so much effort everybody would have known that something is amiss. All these are just theories. So though I pray for a miracle, I know they are all gone :((